Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Renamed "Poultry" by the USDA

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Rabbits Renamed "Poultry" by the USDA:
Your Help is Urgently Needed

United Poultry Concerns PO Box 150 Machipongo, VA 23405
Phone: 757-678-7875 Fax: 757-678-5070 www.upc-online.org

Like birds, rabbits will be slaughtered fully conscious.

A full-page ad in the July 28th edition of The New York Times (sponsored by The Humane Farming Association, Animal Rights International, and the Animal Welfare Institute) notes that the US Department of Agriculture has classified rabbits as "poultry" to avoid including them under the 1958 Humane Methods of Slaughter Act, from which "poultry" are excluded.

For more information, see the ad as a PDF (60k) at

(broken link removed)

What Can I Do?

Please contact the USDA today and voice your dismay at this new classification of rabbits. While expressing your concern about rabbits, please urge the USDA that ALL farmed animals including chickens, turkeys, and ducks should be included under the Humane Methods of Slaughter Act. Write to:

Mike Johanns, Secretary of Agriculture
US Department of Agriculture
1400 Independence Ave SW
Room 200-A
Washington, DC 20250
Phone: 202-720-3631
Fax: 202-720-2166
Email: [email protected]

Salutation: Begin your letter: Dear Secretary Johanns. Keep your letter to 3 paragraphs on one side of one page. Letters sent via regular mail may have more impact than an email – but all letters are better than no letter. Thank you.

United Poultry Concerns is a nonprofit organization that promotes the
compassionate and respectful treatment of domestic fowl. www.upc-online.org

«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»
Susan Roghair - [email protected]
Animal Rights Online, President
Established 1997
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
In memory of my Sam - www.all-creatures.org/stories/a-sam.html
In memory of my Molly Girl - www.all-creatures.org/stories/a-molly.html
«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»§«¤»¥«¤»
["Reprint permission granted by Animal Rights Online ((broken link removed). Animal Rights Online is an animal advocacy group that publishes Animal Writes, a free internet newsletter. To subscribe to Animal Writes, email [email protected]. If you forward or reprint Animal Writes in whole or part, please do so unedited, and include this tagline."]

Please forward this to a friend whom you think
might be interested in subscribing to our newsletter.

*ARO gratefully accepts and considers articles for publication
from subscribers on veg*anism and animal issues.
Send submissions to [email protected]

** Fair Use Notice**
This document may contain copyrighted material, use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owners. I believe that this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

C&R5567

Cavy Slave
This is an absolute disgrace and a complete tragedy. I strongly urge all users of this forum who has a love for animals and these wonderful companions to get involved in this letter writing campaign. I, as a member of PETA will most assuredly make my voice heard.

Please help to stop this horrific torture and cruelty.

JackSpicerRules

Cavy Slave
Please excuse my language but why the hell would someone do that?!?!

C&R5567

Cavy Slave
dixonsrabbitry said:
People eat rabbits every day. Its what they were bred for in the first place. So who cares about some guy posting about butchering at the other forum. Like it or not they are considered a livestock animal by usda standards, and are used for that sort of thing. Farmers and breeders both eat them. It doesn't make it wrong just because pet owners and rescuers say so. I understand that some people aren't comfortable with that. And I am fine with it. But don't patronize someone else for not having the same view point that you do. If people ate more rabbits, believe it or not, there would be less bunnies ending up in shelters.

I think this kind of unbelieveable thinking should be on display here. You know, like they do at a freak show. Take a good look, people. :mad:

Carissa

Cavy Slave
Even if some people do consider rabbits livestock (which I do not) that is no excuse to torture them, because that is what that is, torture. It would be just as easy if not more so to kill them quickly and avoid them struggling and fighting. What is the point to butchering them while they're alive? What kind of person could even torture a rabbit like that?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.