Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Something weird in the meat

dropping_head

Cavy Slave
I work in a very popular chain of restaraunt. The meat is very fresh and soft, and very ground up. So of course you don't know what it is. Thing is, the meat doesn't smell like regular meat, it smells like live fishing bait. Worms. I talked to my manager about it, when he was over having beer one night. He said there are types of worms that they "cut the beef with" that are like little muscular worms.

That leads me to wonder what the % of worms are in the meat. Apparently these worms are okay to eat, as far as the FDA is concerned. I'm not sure if this is factual, or just me passing on some nasty talk, but I haven't eaten a burger since. it's been weeks. Now all I have to do is get off the chicken and I'm home free.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That's disturbing! Yuck, I'm sure worse things have passed by the FDA (they don't really have that great of standards) but still. Ewww.

Zeander

Cavy Slave
Okay, that almost made me lose my dinner. I wonder how true that is? What are little muscular worms, mealworms? Nasty!

Susan W

Cavy Slave
I had a biology teacher in college tell us that ground beef is allowed to be up to 90% fecal matter. I never believed 90%, okay, that would have smelled! People would know! But it is likely that there is at least some of the cow's fecal matter that does get in there since they use leftover parts like intestines to make ground beef. That is afterall, why you are required to cook a hamburger thoroughly before you sell it, and you don't have to cook a steak as thoroughly, they know nasty stuff is in ground beef. (I never heard of them cutting it with worms, but there is nasty stuff in it anyway is my point).

Kevin
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Kriket

Cavy Slave
OH! Thats nasty. I would like to know what chain of resturaunt you work at dropping_head, because I never never want to eat there again.

cutemomome

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I did not just see this thread....
I did not just see this thread.........

But, I will definitely show Ben this thread...

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
Oh well, as long as it tastes good.
Yeah, thats a bit weird.

That reminds me of that time we watched super sized me at school (it was the biggest load of crap ever.), and everyone went out saying "I'm never eating there again!" and I said
"Damn, now I want a quarter pounder!"

Cavykid14

Cavy Slave
Yeah that movie didn't really change me completly although it did make me more aware of the bad types of food out there.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
What do you think is false in Super Size Me? It seemed like well done documentary to me.

Not that I eat at McDonald's that much anymore. The only good veg stuff is on the breakfast menu and I sleep in on weekends :p

That part about the cup and fry sizes being smaller in other countries is true. Our supersized fry and drink is your large. And all the breakfast meals come with a small orange juice. I always have to upsize my breakfast drink as a small just isn't enough orange juice for me.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
Yeah, the sizes are all different and other countries don't have supersized options.

But really, no sane person would eat McDonald's and nothing but McDonald's for a month. USA does have the largest obese population, but I don't think many of them would eat that.
What happened to the guy who made it? Didn't he die or something? I forgot.

Susan W

Cavy Slave
He went on to make another reality show.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
SleepyBirdy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Are you serious?

Inrun

Cavy Slave
Actually, eating bugs is pretty much acceptable (well unless you're a vegetarian) quiet a few people in quite a few countries still eat bugs as a source of protein because cattle, chicken, sheep, goat etc they're all too expensive.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
I've tried several types of bugs... I have friends from around the world, and I've tried local "cuisine" from many of their countries. Most of it's okay, if you don't think about what you're eating. Grasshoppers though, they're just yukky. I'd recommend a deep-fried, honey-coated locust or a grilled cricket if you want a "local" bug, and african peanut-butter dipped spiders if you're into the exotic ;)

I heard something similar about sushi not that long ago. Wouldn't touch the stuff unless I were absolutely starving now! YUCK!

Greenwalker

Cavy Slave
The guy in Supersize Me, his liver started to turn into some weird sort of rock matter almost, that his docter had never seen happen before. Did you see the fact that he had some McDonnald's fries in a jar for months, and they never got mouldy? That disturbed me. I never really liked McDonnalds, even before I saw the movie or even became a vegetarian. I remember I used to be friends (emfasis on "used to") with a girl who accually made fun of me for not eating at McDonnalds. Honestly, I think that poor kid had some psycological problems.

As for the consuming of insects . . . never tried it, and probably never will. I'm one of those odd people that feels a personal attatchment to everything living; including bugs. I could never swat a fly, sometimes I'll let one lnd on me and I'll watch him; they're quite interesting to watch. My mom always swats at them, and when we eat they all go fly around her food, bugging her and leaving me alone. I think it's karma . . .

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Did you see the fact that he had some McDonnald's fries in a jar for months, and they never got mouldy?

I have found fossilized french fries in my car from my kids dropping them and never seen mold on them. They just kinda turn rock hard and make good ammo to throw at your husband.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
It's kind of like Twinkies. They have a billion year shelf life. I've never seen a McDonald's fry mold either. Shame I don't have a husband or boyfriend to throw them at.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.