PDA

View Full Version : My old girl Penny is home!!

RodentCuddles
06-25-13, 12:18 am
I've had Penny for the last 5 years..

When we lived in our old house we had adopted her and Ginger from the SPCA, Ginger one day after having had them for over 2 years got killed by wandering dogs...Penny lived.

Ever since then she's been at my Nana's house...we moved into our new house last year but I hadn't of had the time to set up a cage for her...finally I have.

Her is my Penny girl who would be around 7 - 9 years old now.
I know it's not the best setup..I'll be adding more things tomorrow when I get home.

Peek-A-Boo!
I'll just do a pee and a poo to make it smell like home...

Piggy_
06-25-13, 12:25 am
Ooh she looks super happy. Yaay she likes the tunnel! :D And I think it's a great set up. Is that an ironing board holding up the c&c cage? :D

RodentCuddles
06-25-13, 12:34 am
Ooh she looks super happy. Yaay she likes the tunnel! :D And I think it's a great set up. Is that an ironing board holding up the c&c cage? :D

Haha, It's a table..I need it there as my piggies are going above her so I'll need to access the back of the top cage...this way I can go on the table to get to the back corner!

Will be adding a hidey house hopefully tomorrow...

Melissa123
06-25-13, 06:21 am
She is so cute! Happy she is back home now :)

pinky
06-25-13, 06:28 am
Do you have a waterproof liner under the towels? Urine can seep into grout, even if it's sealed, ruining your sub floor underneath.

RodentCuddles
06-25-13, 12:23 pm
pinky she's completely litter litter trained. (:

TacoBellWinnieP
06-25-13, 12:39 pm
RodentCuddles how many pets do you have? :)

RodentCuddles
06-25-13, 12:48 pm
@RodentCuddles (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=23045) how many pets do you have? :)

What I don't have for human friends and company I make up with animal company....I never go out shopping or hang out with friends..It's just something I don't do..I stay at home or hang out with my mum and little Bro..

I have my 8 guinea pigs:
Rex, Bubbles, Ron, Trixie, Gigi, Pluto, Pixie & Buttercup. (:

11 girl mice...
There are 3 seal points (Olive and Daisy..the other one doesn't have a name), 7 black and white ones (Panda, Jubjube, Puffles*she has only two toes on on foot*, Aotearoa, Badger, Mini Maxine and Domino) , 1 full black (Bubba), They all have names apart a seal point girly.
Sadly all are coming up to two and a half or three years..so we have a few who are getting cancers and will need to be put down when the time comes..at the beginning of this year I had 14 girl mice...the other three have already had to be put to sleep.

My rabbit Penny. (:

3 rats:
Honey Boo Boo, Tinker and Boris

I have a tropical fish tank.

That's my all my personal ones.

The house hold cats
Panther, Leo, Barney, Jessie, Snowy, Blackie and Stella.
All are de-sexed, Panther, Leo, Snowy, Blackie and Stella are feral cats we've taken in.
*Panther is my boy though...*.

A goldfish tank.

Then we're also caring for, these ones are not always staying here:

12 guinea pig's in our rescue with another two coming in the next couple of days...though hopefully one might have a home!
3 feral kittens who will be de-sexed and adopted out.
2 male mice who I'm mouse sitting for the next 5 weeks.

TacoBellWinnieP
06-25-13, 01:11 pm
That's... a lot

RodentCuddles
06-25-13, 01:24 pm
That's... a lot

I do no spots or anything like that...am rather anti-soical unless it comes to animals or animal people...so on week days i'm at home till 9am in the morning and then get back home at around 3:30-4pm...I don't have any actives I do on the weekends...unless we go out as a family and go somewhere. I'm really close to my mum and lil bro because we've all been through alot, my father with all his 10 + girl friends, him abusing me, my going though my depression and trying to take my life...It's all brought us closer then we were before and caring for the animals really helps me and even my mum get though some pretty hard times my father is still making us go though 3 years later.

SqueakyPig
06-25-13, 02:22 pm
Penny looks so happy in her new home, what breed is she?
You have so many animals to look after, I can barley keep up with my two guinea pigs!

RodentCuddles
06-25-13, 02:29 pm
Penny pictures from this morning..I'm hoping that by the looks of it she's gonna be happy here...

Yummy grass...

Oh look! A bigger pile of yummy grass!
Look into my eyes..
My tunnel!

RodentCuddles
06-25-13, 02:30 pm
Jumpies!

RodentCuddles
06-25-13, 02:32 pm
Penny looks so happy in her new home, what breed is she?
You have so many animals to look after, I can barley keep up with my two guinea pigs!

No Idea what breed...she has tiny ears for her big *ehem fatter then I remember..I think grandad loved to give her more then enough veggies from his garden!* body

If anyone has any idea on breed..It'd be cool to know!

SqueakyPig
06-25-13, 02:40 pm
Haha! Nothing wrong with a cuddly bunny though. :)
Also, for my previous post, I meant to put barely, not barley, whoops!

RodentCuddles
06-25-13, 02:46 pm
Haha...there's just more of her to love!

RodentCuddles
06-25-13, 02:52 pm
Paula, PigPandemonium and Inle_Rabbit ...I know you all have rabbits...For her size does it look big enough for her to be in while I'm not home? She's allowed to free range my room when I'm home..but If it's not big enough...I can try make it bigger..though don't know how! But will if it'll need to be.

Kelsie
06-25-13, 03:11 pm
I'm so happy for you to have Penny back home. She's such a pretty rabbit. She really does look happy.

Your story of the hard times you have gone through is so sad. But please, don't ever let anyone ever make you feel like taking your own life. You have such a wonderful life ahead of you. The love and compassion that you have for animals speak volumes of what kind of a person you are. I am so happy that you find such joy in your pets. I'm the same way. I never had a lot of friends while I was in high school. I spent most of my time with my own pets and I also volunteered at the local animal shelter. Animals never judged me.

I'm so glad that you have your Mum and brother. I had a much older brother but he had his own life, so it was really like being raised as an only child. My parents were very good to me, but animals were my siblings. I would tell them all my secrets. They make such wonderful best friends.

You take good care of yourself and please give all those lucky little critters of yours a big hug.

Amalee
06-25-13, 03:31 pm
I'm glad that you love animals and they can keep you company like that. I'm anti-social myself and I'd be in heaven if I could be surrounded by so many animals! Penny looks very happy, great job on the setup. lol

Paula
06-25-13, 08:24 pm
@Paula (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=7434) , @PigPandemonium (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=20656) and @Inle_Rabbit (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=19358) ...I know you all have rabbits...For her size does it look big enough for her to be in while I'm not home? She's allowed to free range my room when I'm home..but If it's not big enough...I can try make it bigger..though don't know how! But will if it'll need to be.Yep, I think it looks great! If it's big enough for her to do full binkies it's totally fine, in my book.

Rabbit_Lover
06-25-13, 08:32 pm
What I don't have for human friends and company I make up with animal company....I never go out shopping or hang out with friends..It's just something I don't do..I stay at home or hang out with my mum and little Bro..

I have my 8 guinea pigs:

11 girl mice...
There are 3 seal points (Olive and Daisy..the other one doesn't have a name), 7 black and white ones (Panda, Jubjube, Puffles*she has only two toes on on foot*, Aotearoa, Badger, Mini Maxine and Domino) , 1 full black (Bubba), They all have names apart a seal point girly.
Sadly all are coming up to two and a half or three years..so we have a few who are getting cancers and will need to be put down when the time comes..at the beginning of this year I had 14 girl mice...the other three have already had to be put to sleep.

My rabbit Penny. (:

3 rats:

The house hold cats
All are de-sexed, Panther, Leo, Snowy, Blackie and Stella are feral cats we've taken in.

A goldfish tank.

12 guinea pig's in our rescue with another two coming in the next couple of days...though hopefully one might have a home!

Awesome :D finally someone with as many pets like me

RodentCuddles
06-26-13, 12:14 pm
Thank you all. (:

Well, I put my trust in her and left her doors open last night..I woke up to.....a Penny hopping around in her cage and then flopping down and having a little nap...I think she's scared of the tiled floor. Oh well! I'm gonna shut the doors for while I'm at school.

RodentCuddles
06-26-13, 01:10 pm
Does anyone have any ideas on what breed/s she is?

TacoBellWinnieP
06-27-13, 06:58 pm
I love your cage! When I get my rabbit, I'm copying this lol. How many grids or packs of grids did it take? And is it a 3X5X2?

Kelsie
06-27-13, 07:11 pm
I don't really know my rabbit breeds, but I just wanted to say that she is a beauty. I love the expression on her face in the first picture.

RodentCuddles
06-27-13, 10:04 pm
I love your cage! When I get my rabbit, I'm copying this lol. How many grids or packs of grids did it take? And is it a 3X5X2?

It is a 4x5x2....she now has the free range of my room as well as her cage...I just leave the doors open. She has learnt that her cage is a safe place and is her main home.

Though..last night she kept on coming up on my bed and digging...so when she did it for the third time at 2am...I picked her up, put her on my lap and gave her a cuddle/pat...she didn't hop up after that!

I can't say how many grids it took as I also used a table, and storage shelving..to make it strong enough as I can sit inside the pigs cage ontop.

Piggy_
06-28-13, 12:30 am
She looks like a flemish giant cross to me! :)

TacoBellWinnieP
06-28-13, 07:19 am
RodentCuddles I want to do the same setup! Guinea cage on top and rabbit underneath! I love it. so cute. Is a 3X5X3 enough space for one rabbit, plus free roam around my room? My room is 10 ft X 13ft, not that big but big enough? Also if the dogs are outside or In their crates the bunny'd have free roam of the house with supervision.

RodentCuddles
06-28-13, 01:48 pm
@RodentCuddles (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=23045) I want to do the same setup! Guinea cage on top and rabbit underneath! I love it. so cute. Is a 3X5X3 enough space for one rabbit, plus free roam around my room? My room is 10 ft X 13ft, not that big but big enough? Also if the dogs are outside or In their crates the bunny'd have free roam of the house with supervision.

Honestly, don't ask me when It comes to rabbit care...I'm just re-teaching myself everything! You're best bet would be to PM one of the three members I linked on the first page. (:

RodentCuddles
06-29-13, 02:20 pm
Does 2.73kg sound about right for her? I had a really had time reading the weight...so it's not perfect but near about.
It went up to 2.9 down to 2.6...so I when she was still I just took this weight.

RodentCuddles
06-29-13, 10:03 pm
After spending a couple of hours we've adopted a de-sexed male friend for Penny.

We went out to Butterfly Creek which is only a five min drive from the SPCA, so we also went to the SPCA...we had a chat about rabbit care and mostly social life....we asked a lot of questions..I feel sorry for the poor lady who was helping us!
We looked at and talked about a few rabbits, there was one boy who had a great personality but his hair was a bit too long for us...as I don't want hair everywhere.

We then found the perfect boy.
He had been there for just 2 weeks, after being found on the streets.
He is just a bit bigger then Penny but we're hoping that's fine, he has an amazing personality and was one of the best boys at being litter trained.

Will post pictures of him, Hopefully after 2 weeks - 2 months they'll bond and be able to live together.

My brother doesn't like him because he's not just one main colour...mum and I both think that's what makes him him..his amazing colours, personality and manners.

ETA: here is him on the SPCA website: spca.org.nz/Adoption/details.asp?dID=2048 (http://spca.org.nz/Adoption/details.asp?dID=2048)
My name is Hartley...So maybe Harley was just meant to be Penny's buddy..His name is so alike to mine!

RodentCuddles
06-30-13, 12:28 am

nibbler100
06-30-13, 12:53 am
Don't feel bad about having a lot of pets! i have a lot too! XD. They really do help in hard times to have there for you. Although i dont have quit as much as you, i still have 10 animals. XD I dont include my fish steve.. seeing as when i stayed at my dads for awhile i brought him with me... he just kinda stays at my dads know... in fact.. my dad has grown quit attached to steve... he says.. he watches TV with him... wired.. lol

RodentCuddles
06-30-13, 01:29 am
We weren't planning to adopt her a friend but after all the talking about rabbit social life and knowing how important it is for guinea pigs...we just want the best for her and I can't be home all the time...I just want my Pen Pen to be happy.

RodentCuddles
06-30-13, 01:42 pm
It looks like it might all be okay...at first Penny would attack him through the grids..but now they're happy to eat side by side *grids separating them* and he loves to follow her..which she doesn't seem to mind! Will be putting them into the cage the other one was in tonight...and I'll see how that goes...maybe in a couple of days we'll put them together in neutral territory and see how it goes... we're prepared to wait a couple months for them to start bonding!

And his name is now Kenny...which means Handsome!
Penny and Kenny!

TacoBellWinnieP
06-30-13, 02:02 pm
RodentCuddles he's beautiful! Is only his 1 eye blue? Because that's awesome! And I love the name Kenny with Penny!

RodentCuddles
06-30-13, 02:06 pm
I'm pretty sure he just has one blue eye and the other one is a dark brown colour. (:

Mum and I are just thinking that surely if you lost him, it's not like a PEW rabbit...with him you'd know if you saw a found add or something!
But it's nice to know that what ever his past was he will be cared and loved for here.

RodentCuddles
06-30-13, 02:30 pm
Some pictures of them eating side by side this morning...does anyone know if this is a good sign?

Little One
06-30-13, 03:18 pm
I can't help with rabbit care, sadly when I had one I was very misinformed :(, but I just wanted to say that Penny and Kenny are gorgeous rabbits! (Love the names too!)

Piggy_
06-30-13, 06:43 pm
Some pictures of them eating side by side this morning...does anyone know if this is a good sign?

Oh my gosh! I totally cleaned your new bun's poop & cage over the weekend when I was at the spca hehe you're welcome! :P It's a great sign they're choosing to be near each other through the grids, it's the first sign they're starting to bond. Just follow the advice you were given about bonding and they should be happy together. Rabbits are much more easily bonded than guineas in my experience, as long as you have enough patience and follow the right advice. You made the right choice too- the bonded rabbits always look so much happier, they groom each other and will even both cram into the same litter tray for a nap! ^^

Edit: I forgot to mention, don't worry too much about her weight, as long as it doesn't decline it's fine. Since she could be a mix of any number of breeds it's not so clear cut what is a 'good' weight for her to be at. Pure flemish giants can get heavier than 5kg! While pure dwarf bunnies might never get much heavier than 1.5kg. So the only thing to watch out for is a consistent decline in weight :)

RodentCuddles
06-30-13, 07:15 pm
Haha, we went to the SPCA on Sunday...His cage's floor was so spotless with-out any poohs compared to the rabbits by him!
I sat down with him and the PEW babies next door were so adorable...they were watching us while their mummy just kept sleeping, imagine caring for 3 energetic little bouncing balls of fluff! Can't blame her for being tired!

The other guy we really like was Mickey *we also liked Nudge but he was a bit smaller*...we held him first...my little brother was wearing a black fleece jumper that turned grey after like 5 seconds of patting Mickey! He is an gorgeous boy and so very soft...but we stuck to a rabbit with a bit shorter hair.

We also LOVED the big black and sliver spotted (?) boy at the end of the row in the cat area...he is so HUGE...we could really see my Grandad having him..as he wouldn't be so easy to miss!
There are so many rabbits there...It just reminded me of our house..For the first time in a couple of months I've had to tell someone we can't take in their two girl piggies...I told them that I recommend to surrender their girls to the SPCA....but have just seen they've gone up on trademe. Oh well, nice to see people re-homing pigs their selves!

Piggy_
06-30-13, 07:33 pm
Yeah animals with long hair can be so much work! I definitely couldn't resist pats with Mickey on Saturday when I was there, the babies weren't in the rabbitry then so they must've moved over from rabbit ward Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. Babies always fly out though so they'll be fine.

And yes that bunny is one of the biggest rabbits I've ever seen. You could almost let him free range on the lawn cause I reckon he'd fight off all the cats and probably most of the dogs too xD But imagine trying to pick him up for cuddles, it would be impossible! Yeah I'm sure they'll work it out, you can only take in so many, and the unwanted guinea pigs did come through the spca before you started up. Did you see the two guineas in the rabbit area on sunday? I couldn't resist pats with them either xD (Are you starting to figure out why I go to the spca... pats with cute animals all the way! haha).

RodentCuddles
06-30-13, 07:36 pm
Haha, yea we saw the piggies! I'm sure two other pigs that were in the SPCA before had the exact same names!

Also, just wondering if I can just use newspaper on the floor of the cage area? If I can it would be alot easier..but if not I'm sure I can think of a way to make the fleece easier to use!

Piggy_
06-30-13, 07:48 pm
Haha yeah, I've noticed the bunnies names and guinea pig names tend to get re-used :P And when they're in the ward area they don't even have names. So I hardly pay attention to names now.

You totally can, just be prepared for black bunny feet from the ink haha. Newspapers use vege-based ink so it's considered safe for them to eat (though, obviously not nutritional XD). It will need to be changed every day, since it doesn't take much pee to soak them through. Just experiment with what works best for you. I noticed your floor is hard (i.e not carpet), so maybe you could grab some shredded paper from local businesses (just call up a few large-ish businesses and most are happy to give it for free), and put that over the newspaper to provide a bit more absorbency. Then you could roll it all up every morning like fish and chips and vacuum any bits that escape. Really work on litter-box training them though, it's 100% do-able as long as you have the patience, and then it won't matter what you have as the bedding then since they'll just pee in the litter box :D

RodentCuddles
07-03-13, 04:38 pm
Just an update...we've been swapping Penny and Kenny to the other cage each night so they get use to each others smells and such..
Then a couple nights ago we did a bunny date in a room where neither had been..poor Penny was so stressed out...neither got hurt.
Last night we did another date in another room neither have been..it went better..though Penny gets a bit stressed out when Kenny came near her rump..she would lower her head as if inviting him to groom her...he hasn't.
It went much better... then the first date the night before...So this time we were able to end it on a good note with them lying besides one another.

This is so stressful for me...I'd take introducing guinea pigs over Introducing rabbits any day!

YourSoJelly
07-03-13, 04:43 pm
At least there is progress!

RodentCuddles
07-03-13, 04:47 pm
Haha yea!!

I'm getting a bit annoyed at Kenny...each time it's his turn to be out of the cage *eg free range in my room..* he keeps using my bed as a litter tray...each time I'll open up my door and there'll be a Kenny on the bed and little poohs and some wet spots.....any help?
I pick up his poohs and put them in his litter box..but he keeps going on my bed...I've just put a water proof blanket on it...*sigh*...smelly bed.

YourSoJelly
07-03-13, 05:19 pm
My friend has two does that are being...complicated...at the bonding situation. Have you tried putting a litter box or a specific towel/blanket on the bed with him, so he has somewhere to go?

RodentCuddles
07-03-13, 05:50 pm
I've tired moving things around but he just keeps going on my bed...one of the reasons we got him was because he was such a good boy at using the litter tray.....Once they're bonded I might not be able let them free range if he keeps this up...my mattress is ruined and my pillows and everything are such a mess..Penny uses her litter tray.

YourSoJelly
07-03-13, 06:08 pm
That's why I am thinking keep a litter tray on the bed, or keep him totally off the bed.

RodentCuddles
07-03-13, 06:10 pm
any ideas on how to keep him off the bed? Hes a jumper...unless I just keep him in the cage and let penny free range...but then swapping them into the others cages might be helping the bond more then I think..any ideas? (:

YourSoJelly
07-03-13, 06:28 pm
Try stacking stuff in the edge, to where it's super high, to high for him to jump.

RodentCuddles
07-07-13, 04:48 pm
They're getting along really well!

Penny usually follows Kenny around...I'm thinking about cleaning the cage putting them in it together..They've been having dates for as long as just over an hour with nothing going wrong...is it safe to put them in the cage together?

piggielover200
07-07-13, 05:31 pm
I would say go for it and be ready to separate if needed!! ( I don't think you will need to) just grab both buns and put them in your room with the door to the cage open

RodentCuddles
07-07-13, 05:35 pm
Ahah!

Kenny has given in and is grooming Penny's forehead!! lways thought Penny would be the boss

piggielover200
07-07-13, 06:12 pm
haha so cute

petgal49
07-07-13, 07:35 pm

I have my 8 guinea pigs:

11 girl mice...

My rabbit Penny. (:

3 rats:

The house hold cats

A goldfish tank.

If we lived closer I would love to be friends with you! I have a few close friends but none of them are into animals like me. I wish I had a best friend who would sit and "do animal things" with me! I really think you should think about going to school to be a vet or vet tech! You have a lot of pets! That is awesome and it looks like they have a great home with you! I only have one guinea pug and two cats! All rescued of course!

RodentCuddles
07-08-13, 09:35 pm
Just an update that Penny and Kenny are now living together..there has been no fighting and all seems like it'll be okay.

RodentCuddles
07-10-13, 10:34 pm
Pictures...

They're a happy pair!

RodentCuddles
07-19-13, 02:21 pm
http://s3.amazonaws.com/pizap_gallery/071913/medium/pizap.com10.87593016633763911374265215663.jpg

JennasPigs
07-19-13, 02:51 pm
Haha I love how you named one Honey Boo Boo

RodentCuddles
07-20-13, 12:11 am
First video I took the other night..have taken one more as well...

http://youtu.be/GvgYMVFAivo

RodentCuddles
07-20-13, 12:50 am
http://youtu.be/CqgVGJ7xylY

GoldieBrodiexx
07-22-13, 07:20 am
Our buns have something like that, except its made from woven straw and they pull out these little carrot toys. They LOVE ripping it up!

RodentCuddles
07-26-13, 04:14 pm
Sadly my grandad isn't coping well with-out Penny there.
He hasn't gone out to his garden since I've brought her home...she made him get up and feel like he needed to live...he cared for her and feed her and kept her cage clean..

We never knew it'd affect him so much...I feel so bad for taking my Penny girl home...we're thinking about adopting him a cat or another rabbit to keep him company....I just don't know.
She was there for him when he went through Cancer and he would always talk to her...when he doesn't talk to anyone else, I just don't know what I can do for him...she was there for him and I took her away with-out thinking how much she meant to him..I thought he'd be okay with-out her but hes not.

Piggy_
07-26-13, 07:03 pm
Sadly my grandad isn't coping well with-out Penny there.
He hasn't gone out to his garden since I've brought her home...she made him get up and feel like he needed to live...he cared for her and feed her and kept her cage clean..

We never knew it'd affect him so much...I feel so bad for taking my Penny girl home...we're thinking about adopting him a cat or another rabbit to keep him company....I just don't know.
She was there for him when he went through Cancer and he would always talk to her...when he doesn't talk to anyone else, I just don't know what I can do for him...she was there for him and I took her away with-out thinking how much she meant to him..I thought he'd be okay with-out her but hes not.

How well would you cope without Penny & Kenny? It would be more meaningful to give her back to him, and adopt two more bunnies for yourself, rather than give him a pet he might not bond with in the same way. Get your mum's thoughts on the matter too. I think the kindest option is to return her, given you know she will be in a good home, and can visit her whenever you like. You could even get your grandad a bigger outdoor hutch for her and Kenny, if you're worried that she won't get regular floor time.

Trust me, there are A LOT of awesome bunnies at the SPCA ( I was there again this weekend, lol) so if you want to adopt two more, you will find no trouble with that :)

Edit: These two buns were my favourite <3 <3 <3 from today [but boy/girl pairing is usually easiest]->
http://www.spca.org.nz/Adoption/details.asp?dID=2150
http://www.spca.org.nz/Adoption/details.asp?dID=2152

RodentCuddles
07-26-13, 07:39 pm
We're going to talk to grandad....Is the BIG black boy still there?

Kenny wouldn't be any good there as there are lots of cats and he'd be outside.

Piggy_
07-26-13, 07:54 pm
Ah okay, well they're so recently bonded that it shouldn't be too hard on each bunny to be separated. Not sure about the big black guy, but there were no single large black bunnies today. Two flemish giants are in the holding/ward area though (if you can wait, flemish giants are FULL of personality, and my favourite bunny breed.. they're pretty good at holding their own against cats too). But Edward is pretty big, and he was super friendly- he was insisting on pats the whole time I was cleaning out his cage, and then stuck his nose through the bars when I tried to move on to the next cage as if saying "moreeeee!!!" haha. You might be better off with a girl though, to re-bond Kenny to. But stay away from Candy unless you're prepared for a challenge, she has been biting some of the volunteers (including me, last month). But I think she just gets really hungry and aggressive seeing all the other rabbits being fed (she's about 9th in line to be fed/cleaned usually).

RodentCuddles
07-26-13, 08:02 pm
Okay, well we're going to speak to grandad today and if he wants her back then he can have her...only thing is the cage is REALLY small it has a wire floor even though it's on the grass and it's metal so it's really hot..plus she couldn't stand up in it...so if she does go back the cage would have to change.

RodentCuddles
07-26-13, 08:12 pm
You can just ignore my last post...as I know if we give Penny back to him then we'll buy a new cage for her.

I had just wanted my Penny back as she like our 14 year old cats is one of the last things from my past before my parents got divorced, my depression, when I had plenty of great friends and when we lived as a family in our old house and we were all so happy...it's selfish of me to keep her from Grandad because she reminds me of when times were better and happier.
I suppose I still have our cats Jessie and Barney...we adopted them from the SPCA when I was just over a year old so they really are something I could never give away even though my 'dad' wanted to give them away after the divorce.

Piggy_
07-26-13, 08:20 pm
Wires on the floor is actually a good idea for rabbits, since they dig and escape.. as long as a good part of the cage is a wooden floor (so she isn't forced to sit on the wires). Their feet aren't as senstive as the guinea pigs. If the cage was to stay in one place you could alternatively dig into the ground and install a predator proof fence. These extend under the soil part-way to stop anything digging its way under. But I think the option to move the cage onto fresh grass is much better. Check out this care sheet for more info- http://www.spca.org.nz/files/documents/AnimalCare/Rabbits/Rabbit-Care-Handout.pdf

As for the cage, maybe you could help your grand-dad with that one? If you search for 'chicken coop' in trademe, there are heaps of really roomy well built hutches (just remove the perches), I got a nice roomy one which would be suitable for two rabbits (but I use for my guinea's outdoor time) for $150. Might need a trailer to move it though, or you could spend a bit more and buy one brand new (they come flat-packed in a diy kit).

Piggy_
07-26-13, 08:28 pm
You can just ignore my last post...as I know if we give Penny back to him then we'll buy a new cage for her.

I had just wanted my Penny back as she like our 14 year old cats is one of the last things from my past before my parents got divorced, my depression, when I had plenty of great friends and when we lived as a family in our old house and we were all so happy...it's selfish of me to keep her from Grandad because she reminds me of when times were better and happier.
I suppose I still have our cats Jessie and Barney...we adopted them from the SPCA when I was just over a year old so they really are something I could never give away even though my 'dad' wanted to give them away after the divorce.

Sorry didn't see your post as I was busy replying xD Yeah, I understand :( It's nice to keep memories of times when things were better than they are now. But just think of it this way~ you have the power to give someone else's life meaning, give them a reason to get up in the morning, and to give them a friend that was there through cancer. It sounds like Penny transformed your granddad's life in a way nothing else could have. So if you're sad about not keeping her, just think about the fact that your actions could significantly improve the life of someone else, and feel good that it's the right thing to do, and that you have made your granddad really happy (if he wants her back). And you can always visit her, or take her back at a later time if it doesn't work out :)

Edit: Also, he might not want her back specifically, he might just be happy to have a pet to talk to, even if it's not Penny.

RodentCuddles
07-27-13, 01:24 pm
We talked to him...while he didn't really jump at the idea he did say,"Oh, then I'd have to get back into the garden".

So we're gonna put up the dog Kennel/run we brought last year, it has wire on the top and sides but not on the bottom...though on grandads lawn there is volcanic rock under the soil then the run has a house at the end.
The size is Height - 103cm, width - 205cm and length 180cm so around 39.7 sq ft not including the house area.

My only worry is if Kenny gets out. He is gone. We're not gonna separate them as Penny really does enjoy having Kenny around but If Kenny gets out...I'd never see him again and we wouldn't be able to catch him as he HATES being held and his fear of cats would drive him away from nana's...then there are dogs near nanas and I just don't want to think about it. That's my main worry.

YourSoJelly
07-27-13, 01:43 pm
Could you dig a trench, fill it with cement, then put the wire in the cement? This is two positives, he can't burrow under and predators can't burrow under or bend the wire.

RodentCuddles
07-27-13, 01:48 pm
It's outside so the concert would get wet and grandad likes to see them on the grass...plus Nana would complain and complain about putting cement in her backyard *shes one of those people you can never please...before she said I never send any time with Penny and said I was horrible for that so I brought my girl home and spend hours a day with her and she says, "Oh well you didn't have to take her she was fine here"..so yesterday when we said we're gonna bring her back she said, "Oh no. Theres no reason for Grandad to need her back"...after her being the one telling us she's worried about him not going out in the garden.*

It's more of him getting out when Grandad opens the door to lean in and feed them ect.

ETA: I'll just have to find some way to put a fence near the door so he can't run out straight away..though Grandad couldn't walk into the cage as his back isn't good for it so the food would have to go at the front but I'm sure if need be i'll work something out. I just don't want to have to part again with my rabbits after forming such a bond with them so quickly. But I know I have to.

YourSoJelly
07-27-13, 03:03 pm
Could you have two door ways? One doorway for your grandfather to enter, close that door. Then enter the cage? So if Kenny does sneak past, he is stuck in the entrance area.

Piggy_
07-27-13, 08:47 pm
I understand how worried about it all you must be - I would be agonising over every detail myself! But it is a wonderful gift you're giving your grandad. And try not to take any notice of your nana- I'm sure there's someone like that in every family. My best friend's mum is like that! She has just learned to brush off the negative comments and try to appease her where possible... and spend more time with her dad! Just leave the negotiating up to your mum- she must've learned a few tricks to getting your nana onside :)

Okay so, you can try to ease your concern by making everything as safe as possible for the bunny pair (with our help!). I like the idea of the trenches (in terms of making the run predator proof)- but instead of concrete, could you lower the run into the trenches and then refill it with soil? So that part of the run is underground. This should stop any digging into or out of the cage. This picture demonstrates the idea- http://patsknittingandquilting.com/2013/images/april/ditch.jpg.The grass will then regrow around the cage.

What size are the holes in your mesh run? Baby mice can squeeze through some pretty small holes, so if the mesh size is 0.5cm x 0.5cm this will exclude mice and everything larger. This is the mesh size used at the Zeelandia predator proof enclosure in Wellington (so if the Department of Conservation have felt that mesh size is good enough to protect our endangered species, it should be okay for your buns :) ). Here's a link to the wiki page on the Zeelandia reserve http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zealandia_(wildlife_sanctuary). Check out the photos under 'Pest-Exclusion Fence'. If your mesh size is slightly bigger than that, you could make a judgement as to how quickly you think your grandad would notice baby mice in the cage and remove them (if they even got in, which is probably not likely). If the mesh size is quite a bit bigger than that, you could purchase aviary mesh from a garden supply centre like Mitre 10 and use a similar technique as 'baby-proofing' C&C cages for guinea pigs to reduce the mesh size.

Next- Is your Penny vaccinated against Calici Virus? Kenny should be, coming from the SPCA (but a quick phone call to check couldn't hurt). This can be caught from wild rabbits that approach your buns while they're in their cage, and is usually fatal. But a quick trip to the vet for a shot should eliminate this possibility :)

Finally- Will there be enough shade in the run during the summer? You could consider attaching a type of cloth to the top of the run to give them some shelter while they're out of their house.

That's everything I could think of! I hope some of my ideas helped :) And try to feel good about this- you're being incredibly generous and loving to give away your pets to make your grandad happy :) And you won't have to live with the guilt of feeling like you took away a pet your granddad was bonded to.