PDA

View Full Version : Want to be a vegitarian..........

Squirle
08-20-05, 01:30 pm
Hi, I want to become a vegitarian because I find it really sad how animals are killed just so people can eat meat. The only problem is my parents. They don't want me or my sister to become vegitarians because we don't like beans, and that type stuff you need to replace meat, What other foods could i eat to replace meat? Also Im not a very adventursome eater, At restraunts i usually eat chicken fingers, and for dinner i usually have pasta, hotdogs, grilled cheese, what type things do you think I should try?

Eggs~To be a vegitarian, you don't eat eggs right? I don't eat eggs but when I eat french Toast, the bread is dipped in eggs.

Any suggestions or moral support would be great! thanks for your time!

TheQueen
08-20-05, 01:46 pm
That's great that you want to be a veg! To replace meat and get protein that you need, beans is a good idea. You don't have to eat them plain though! Mix them in recipes, veggie chili is superb, and there's lots of beans in that! Rice is a good source of protein, too. They do have fake meat, like Boca Burger brand. It doesn't really taste like beef, but it's good. The chicken does taste a lot like chicken though! Pasta, bread, etc, becomes a big part of your diet along with the veggies. Also, portobello mushrooms are a lot like beef. Although they don't taste exactly the same, the texture is similar and it makes a good substitute.

To be a veg, you can eat eggs. Vegans don't eat any animal products, eggs, milk, cheese, etc. But vegetarians can eat those things. You can choose what you want to eat and what you don't want to eat. Some veg's eat fish. It's just their choice. It's not a big strict thing (unless it's for religious purposes), but rather a choice you make. Good luck!!!

Edit: I take a multi-vitamin too, to give me the things that I don't get from meat anymore. Tell your mom you will try vitamins and eat more beans, rice, nuts, etc to get protein.

jeza921
08-20-05, 02:17 pm
Since you're not into trying new foods, and you still live with your meat eating family, I wouldn't try to cut out cheese, milk, or eggs yet. Maybe look into that after you cut out the meat comfortably. Also, eggs and yogurt are good protein. I get most of my protein from peanut butter. Tuna fish has good protein if you eat fish. When I was about 15 I announced to my family that I was no longer going to eat mammals (cows and pigs). This was a good compromise while I lived with my folks, because they could substitute ground beef with ground turkey, hamburgers with boca burgers, and if they grilled steaks I got a fish. Good luck!

Also, another thing you can do that will not affect the family would be to not buy leather products. Purses, wallets, jackets, and shoes can all be made of leather, but you can easily find a non-animal substitute.

fourbwabbys
09-20-05, 05:12 pm
They don't want me or my sister to become vegitarians because we don't like beans, and that type stuff you need to replace meat

That's exactly what my parents said. So now I'm only eating chicken until I can eventually get of meat all together. I have to say that Boca has the best veggie meat I have ever had. I love Boca. It has the nutrition in it too. Good Luck with the parents!

Percy's Mom
09-20-05, 05:56 pm
Eggs~To be a vegitarian, you don't eat eggs right? I don't eat eggs but when I eat french Toast, the bread is dipped in eggs.

Any suggestions or moral support would be great! thanks for your time!

I'm recently working on becoming a vegetarian (actually pescetarian for now) myself, and I still eat eggs and dairy products. Vegan is when you don't eat any animal products of any kind.