Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Growing Up Sucks Sometimes...

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Sadly, as I have matured from when I first thought of the idea, I have realized that getting a pair of rats is out of the option as of now. I can barely juggle my dog, horse, and guinea pigs, let alone adding a pair of rats to the mix. Hopefully when I am older I will have the ability to own a pair, but as of now it just isn't an option. It's a bittersweet moment. Bitter because I know that I can't get rats and that I'm growing up, yet on the flip side, it's sweet because I know I'm growing up and maturing into a fine and responsible young lady who, when I do get rats, will treat them with the utmost care and respect. I'm not sure why I posted this, I guess I just needed to know that this was the right decision and I'm not keeping a great home away from a pair of rats that need it.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Growing up definetly sucks sometimes, but realizing that shouldn't stop you from making the right choices. You are certainly well on your way to becoming a responsible young lady by excepting today's reality, but not ruling out the possibility forever!
I didn't mean to be so philosophical there :p But still, just like @Kelsie said, I too applaud your making such a responsible decision!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone. I know that it just wouldn't be a responsible decision on my pert and I think I just needed support because I still have a tiny piece of me feeling like I could still be a home to a pair of ratties.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I know that feeling, however the little voice that tells me "that's not a good idea", gets blocked out by the voice that says "GO FOR IT!". I am now buried in animals, and I'm up until almost midnight each night just caring for them. On top of them, I am in grad school, teach at a community college, am a part-time teaching assistant at my university, and work part time in retail. Ugh! It's really stressful for me, but my animals are all happy and well cared for, and most were rescued from bad situations or the verge of death. But, I applaud you for making a decision that is right for you too, not just the animals. You can make the animals work in your schedule, but it is awfully emotionally, physically, and financially draining. When the time comes, and you are ready, the ratties that were supposed to be for you will appear.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
My little voice of reason has gotten louder since I am already stressed as it is, and I just have to put the animals first. I have to make sure they all get the proper quality and quantity of attention, not one or the other. I am just going to have to wait. If I can wait 5 months for Sarabi(with an already set up and empty quarentine cage staring at me), I think I can wait for anything. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.