Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury I hate black claws

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
So I had my first accident clipping nails, now they all act like I am a monster and I only hit the quick on one claw with huggle. Knock knock was like witch I'm gonna bite you. I have to try dremeling them.

MrsSuzy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Nail cutting is always a drama here. Especially with Dahlia who, like your newer boys, is all black. I take so much care but on a couple of occasions have made it bleed :(

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I guess they will learn to let me clip or dremel. I think dremeling is safer though.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Rigby has all black nails. I tried trimming them myself, with some success but it was hard. When I took him to the vet for his check-up the other day i went ahead and had them trim his nails for me. They look SO much better now and they definitely did a better job than i did. I'd say it was worth the 14$ it cost.
I didn't really think of dremeling piggy nails. Wouldn't the vibration bother them? I wonder if anyone on here has had any experience with it.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have to agree about someone else doing it but I have 4 black piggies and I already pay 11.00 to have boo's done every other week. He has the longest quicks ever, walks do nothing for them because his pads hold them up too much. Well that is what was told to be when I complained how walking on the concrete did nothing for them. Its so funny, he's so happy to see the girls until they go to take him away and I don't have them clipped, I get them dremeled.

ssssarah

Cavy Slave
my two girls have white nails, except ONE of bella's nails is black. i was so relieved when the rescue told me they had white nails, too. but that ONE NAIL. it's always longer than the rest of her nails because i'm too scared of cutting it too short..

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I tried the flash light thing, I couldn't see the quick at all.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I used to give that advice as i had read it works, but when I actually tried it myself for the first time on Riggles' nails it didn't really work at all. :p

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I use the flashlight method and I have my little brother hold the flashlight under the black foot. I find it helps if you use a light with the whiter bulbs rather than the yellowish kind.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
You can go too close with the Dremel, too. Just be careful.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.