Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Cleaning cage?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I am not currently using fleece, but this waws the only spot I saw for "cleaning". I will soon be using fleece. My question though is how often do you clean your cage? And, how? Like, do you change EVERYTHING, or just sift through and pull out the poops?

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
I spot clean everyday, which is brushing out all of the poos and then taking all the fleece/under layers and washing them once a week. There are a lot of different options for cleaning your cage, sometimes you just have to find what works for you.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I use Carefresh right now until I finish building their new cage. I just pick out the wet spots and then sift through so the poops go to the bottom, and clean those up. I don't notice any smells from the cage, so I guess it isn't too bad right? They've been on the same bedding for three days now, and I plan to change it out Friday or Saturday.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Depending on how many pigs you have you spot once or twice a day. having a huge haybin/kitchen and the food bowls in there really helps keep the mess there, that you clean every day to every 3 days. The fleece and under stuff every 5-10 days. When I just had my little guys I could go 7-10 days before washing the fleece. I now use multi bedding, i use wood pellets layered with carefresh and fleece pee pads laying around but they aren't using the pads now that I have the carefresh in there.

rayvensmoon

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I spot-clean the main (fleece) level once in the AM and once in the PM, which is just sweeping or vacuuming (hand-vac) up the poops and loose fur/crumbs. The upper (carefresh) kitchen level gets changed out every 2-3 days depending on how much of a mess the girls have made of it. The fleece gets changed out once a week, though since they now do most of their peeing in the kitchen, I can go up to 10 days without a fleece change and everything stays nice and dry and non-stinky. :)

Magewrite

Cavy Slave
When I had Carefresh, I dumped it all out once a week and renewed the bedding. My girls didn't poop/pee enough for me to need to spot clean daily- not to mention it was sometimes difficult to find what to clean with the bedding!
Now that I have fleece flippers (loving them!), I sweep the cage daily by sweeping all the hay, old greens, poop, ect. on to one flipper and then sweeping that panel into the trash, and will throw the fleece and pads into the washer every week.

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I guess it depends on whats going on.The way my cage is set up they poop mainly in hay room and their bunglow... so I dump it every other day. If it gets stinky in these areas, I just change these areas when I spot clean and then extend major clean out a couple days. I always clean it out real good before we have company. Sometimes I get lazy depending on whats going on and I dont spot clean regularly and so I just clean it earlier. I use towels and fleece in the hay room and bunglow. I have 2 complete set up liners so I can clean change and wash one. So I always have a spare thats clean for emergency. I also have a bunch of small liners for the hay room and bunglow so I can change those on spot cleaning days if need.

1073252_10151728073821670_2009928972_o.jpg

Last edited:

PiggyLove1

Cavy Slave
Look it up on youtube. There's alot of great helpful videos on that sort of thing. Hope I helped!:)

PhinniePig

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x4 C&C with 2 adult boars. I have a 1x2 kitchen area with bedding, i change this every 3-4 days, i use pee pads which i change every 2 days. I sweep my piggies cages twice a day (once in the morning only if i am lazy). I change the liner out once a week (around 7days sometimes a bit longer). I have three liners, so i do the piggies laundry only once every 2 weeks. I definitely recommend either making your own pee pads (fleece + uhaul + fleece) or investing in some, they make a huge difference. I put them down under the pigaloos/hideys, pretty much in areas where my piggies pee the most. If only they were toilet trained.. sigh...

pawner69

Cavy Slave
I use all fleece, even in the "kitchen" area. I also put extra pads under their pigloos and under the water bottle. I change out the pads mid week, usually on Wednesday or Thursday. I vacuum up the poops and all the loose hay 2-3 times each day (I work from home so its super convenient). Then change out all the fleece once a week...usually on Saturday or Sunday. Its pretty simple once you get into a routine.

Back when I did use bedding, I would just pick up the icky stuff daily and then change out all the bedding every 2-3 weeks depending on how quickly it got dirty.

Although, when I used bedding I only had Piggles. I now have 3 girls in a 2x5 (soon to be expanded to 2x7 lol) so I have to keep up with spot cleaning with the fleece.

I agree with the above though and you definately just have to use trial and error to figure out what works best for you and your piggies.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
With disposable bedding like Carefresh or shavings, it's best to totally clean out the cage once a week. Use this time to weigh your pigs (record the weights) and give them an all-over feel for lumps, bumps, hairloss, etc. Check to see if they need their nails clipped.

When you have all the bedding out of the cage, spray it with a 50/50 vinegar and water mix and wipe it down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.