PDA

View Full Version : We are Newbies too!

lmarino24
06-15-13, 01:17 pm
Hi there, my 7 yr old daughter wanted to adopt some guinea pigs and I'm sorry to say without knowing any better, I got them at our local Petsmart. The boy working there said these two have been here a while because they have red eyes and noone wants them :sad:....that's all we needed to hear! So here are Checkers and Snowball...they are so much fun and we :love: them very much!! I'm hoping to continually gain as much knowledge as I can from the forum to help them have happy , long lives! :D

photosavvy
06-15-13, 01:19 pm
They are so cute!! I don't know why people wouldn't want them because of their red eyes!

lmarino24
06-15-13, 01:21 pm
According to the young man at store, they look 'devilish'...total nonsense!!

photosavvy
06-15-13, 01:23 pm
No way!! How could those cute faces be devilish??

GoldieBrodiexx
06-15-13, 01:23 pm
Aww, they are beautiful and it's so sad no one wanted them because of their eyes!

SophieBunny
06-15-13, 02:40 pm
They are both so cute!
As they came from PetSmart, please confirm that they are both the same sex. http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm
Pet stores are notorious for selling mis-sexed, sick and sometimes pregnant pigs.

Nessy
06-15-13, 02:43 pm
Oooh welcome and congratulations on your new companions. They are very cute indeed :)

CavyMama
06-15-13, 03:00 pm
Ohhhh they are really adorable! Some people are just weirded out by the red eyes. I think they look kinda cool to be honest. I've had a few with the red eyes. It's certainly no reason to pass them over.

Ditto what the others have said, since they are from a petstore, I would double and triple check to make sure they are the same gender. If they are not, I would double and triple check to make sure the female is not pregnant.

lmarino24
06-15-13, 03:57 pm
They are both so cute!
As they came from PetSmart, please confirm that they are both the same sex. http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm
Pet stores are notorious for selling mis-sexed, sick and sometimes pregnant pigs.

Petsmart swears they only bring in males...but thanks for the info! I will check to be sure..

SophieBunny
06-17-13, 01:09 pm
Petsmart swears they only bring in males...but thanks for the info! I will check to be sure..

I would seriously doubt they only sell males. The staff at PetSmart and the supplier will likely be less than adept at sexing. Thanks for checking.

Amber08844
06-17-13, 02:20 pm
haha that is a funny joke. We adopted our guinea and a month later fell in love with another male guinea while at PetSmart buying dog food. We ended up buying a male piggie, Patrick. Well last week Patrick had 5 babies!! Just saying!! Your piggies are adorable, red eyes and all!!

MrsSuzy
06-17-13, 02:58 pm
They are sooo gorgeous!! I think I'm developing a soft spot with piggies with red eyes. They are just great!

And welcome, this is a great place for good quality info, crazy piggy slaves and piggies chat and photos :D