Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Couple health questions?!

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I've noticed my little man sneezing randomly. I don't know if this is signs of bordatella or just sneezing? I've had him for two days (third day today) so I can't tell if he's just adjusting to my germs (LOL) or if he's really got an URI. I've also noticed him scratching some. Not incessantly scratching. I'm just concerned about him being sick, for him and for me and my children! Call me selfish if you like, but I really have to watch out for my kids since the older two have compromised immune systems. HELP!?

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I suggest especially since it's a new pig to you to take him to an exotic vet that knows gps. All gps should have a checkup and then if no problems, annual checks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Normally, I'd say don't worry about the pig infecting your kids, but since your two have immune system problems, you need to be a little more careful.

Viral infections generally don't jump between species. If you followed all the media coverage of the H1N1 virus, you know that it happens rarely. But bacterial and fungal infections can spread between any two warm (and some cold) blooded animals.

Sneezing in guinea pigs can be the result of a respiratory problem, dusty hay or bedding, or allergies. Generally, a respiratory problem will also present with runny eyes and/or nose, and there'll be quite a bit of sneezing. And if your pig has bordatella, he'd likely be looking very sick, puffed up, not eating, and possibly dead since you got him -- it usually moves very fast. So I don't think that's it.

Sneezing due to dust seems to occur most often when the pig has had its nose in the hay, or has been running around the cage and stirred things up. Sneezing due to allergies usually follows a pattern of feeding (allergy to hay is probably more common than allergy to vegetables) or other exposure to the allergen (the cleaning solution used for the cage, or the detergent used to wash piggy laundry, or something you spray in your house, or whatever).

In your case, if you're housing him on something that can have dust (e.g., not on fleece), or if the hay seems dusty, I'd change those things and see what happens.

Where did you get him? If you bought him from a pet store, he may well be ill -- they're notorious for selling sick pigs. But if so, please don't take him back to their vet -- find your own exotic vet, get him treated, and present them with the bills.

What kind of bedding is he on? If you have pigloos in the cage, please either take them out or cut another door in them -- there's no air circulation in them, and the pig breathes the fumes from its own wastes. All hideys should have both an entrance and an exit. Dollar store step stools make great hideys.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
He is on Carefresh? He has an igloo, but I remove it several times daily and clean the cage. I plan to cut holes into the top of it for ventilation. He doesn't sneeze much, and there's no other discharge. I'm familiar with kennel cough and URI's in cats and dogs, so I've been watching for those symptoms. So far, just the random sneezing. He is going to the vet on Tuesday for a well check.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
BTW, fleece isn't a practical option for us, as we don't have a wash machine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.