Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

At my witts end - Help Pigs scream for food

deidre.j

Cavy Slave
I have my babies for a few months and I know they eat ALOT. They refuse to eat any Pellets. So I give them enough greens, veggies and hay and grass. I have a male and female only recently found out they were miss sexed but they are now kept seperate. The boy seems content with his feeding schedule but lately the female with her little fat behind wants to eat non stop. All you hear is her weeking non stop. Her schedule has gone from 3 -4 feeds per day to almost every hour. Its a non stop tiring routine lately.I cannot even get up too use the loo at like 1am and she screams. What am i doing wrong what does she need or what is she lacking.

Attachments

bby 1.jpg bby2.jpg

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Re: At my witts end - Help

Every time you feed them, you are rewarding them. When they wheek, you are encouraging the behavior by giving them food.
If you feed them too much pellets and veggies, they will not eat enough hay (which is vital for there dental health and digestive system).
They should get a cup of veggies each, about 1/8 of a cup of pellets and unlimited long strand grass hay. By feeding them so much, you are im-balancing the amount of hay they should have in their diet.
I suggest making specific times to feed them their meals, that way they should only wheek around those certain times. (Gorgeous piggies by the way :) )

Last edited:

deidre.j

Cavy Slave

Thanx I will definitely start a feeding schedule :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

Is it possible she is pregnant?

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

It sounds like she is pregnant... I hope these pictures were taken before you knew they were male and female.. If by a slim chance she isn't pregnant she could get pregnant any time she is with the male. It literally only takes seconds for them. Please do not risk it..

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Do they have hay 24x7? They need it at all times.

How many veggies are you giving her at a time?

What kind of pellets are you feeding?

mellie_88

Cavy Slave
Maybe try different pellets if you haven't already, and at a last resort the museli type mix. But then you have the risk of them picking out the unhealthiest bits.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.