Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions poorly piggy but i dont know whats wrong?!?!

abi.25

Cavy Slave
ive had pigs my whole life and ive never seen/known anything like this,

ive had lola for just over 3 years and shes always been stressed/nervous and very rarely plays with the others(she was a rescue) but recently shes been abit on edge and pulled a lot of hair out on her bum but its growing back fine now but when I went into to the cage this morning I noticed shes missing some fur on her face and the skin underneath just isn't right, it reminds me of ashes left from a fire, she seems fine and lets me touch it no problem, ive attatched some picture please share your thoughts

thanks, abi

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Sounds like it might be ring worm. I think she should see a vet. Don't touch it. If it is ring worm you can catch it from her.

Stephanie Bo

Cavy Slave
Mites sounds like it could be a possibility? Id take her to a vet. Your pictures didnt work.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
I don't see the picture.

Rhyue

Cavy Slave
Sounds like some sort of skin infection as mentioned above. Good idea to take her to the vet, you can also visit guinea lynx and see if you can find something there.

abi.25

Cavy Slave
it wont let me upload any, my mum thinks its ringworm and she works in a vets but I just wanted a second opinion, she lives with 3 other pigs and they are all fine, do I need to put her on her own?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
it wont let me upload any, my mum thinks its ringworm and she works in a vets but I just wanted a second opinion, she lives with 3 other pigs and they are all fine, do I need to put her on her own?

You can upload the photo to a place like photobucket or resize the picture if it was too big.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I think you should take her to a vet. If it is ringworm, then it's entirely possible that all others could have it already as ringworm is very contagious-- even to humans, so make sure you wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling her or even wear gloves.
I'm not sure if you should isolate her or not, as you're not completely sure it is ringworm, and if it is then as i said there's a high chance the others could have it already.
Give this a read: https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It sounds like a fungus, of which ringworm is only one. Ringworm causes a ring-shaped lesion, hence the name.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html -- there are several over-the-counter medications you can use to treat it.

However, if it is a fungus, it will be contagious and you can catch it. So wear gloves when dealing with it, and wash your hands and arms thoroughly after handling your pig.

Good luck, and let us know how you all are doing.

ThumperandAcorn

Cavy Slave
Also, isolate incase the others haven't gotten it yet, and search every piggie for the early signs. Any with ringworm should be isolated from those without.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.