Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions I adopted a pregnant guinea pig and I am concerned

acoffey29

Cavy Slave
I recently adopted a pregnant guinea pig and she is about 65 days and I noticed last night and today she is really swollen down there. When I felt to check her pelvic bones you can feel a baby really low down there otherwise she is still eating and drinking like normal. She has laid around a little more today. I am taking her to the vets monday. There is not anywhere to take her on the weekend were I live or else we would have done gone. I am really worried I have read a lot about prolapses and I just want her and babies to be okay.There is not anything actually hanging out its just really swollen. Any advice appreciated.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's your choice, of course, but I wouldn't take her to the vet if she's that pregnant. Just leave her be, and be prepared to take her in if she has difficulty delivering. Read https://www.guinealynx.info/labor.html so you'll know the signs.

acoffey29

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the link I will check that out and I was worried about taking her myself I had just read about how traveling that pregnant was very stressful on them. I think we will hold off on the vet unless we just have to go.

acoffey29

Cavy Slave
It's your choice, of course, but I wouldn't take her to the vet if she's that pregnant. Just leave her be, and be prepared to take her in if she has difficulty delivering. Read https://www.guinealynx.info/labor.html so you'll know the signs.
Just wanted to update you She is having her babies 6 so far and so far so good. I think she done but not sure.

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to update you She is having her babies 6 so far and so far so good. I think she done but not sure.

Wow, six! That's a lot for her to look after. Be prepared to have to handfeed if she can't take care of them all. Congratulations!

acoffey29

Cavy Slave
Wow, six! That's a lot for her to look after. Be prepared to have to handfeed if she can't take care of them all. Congratulations!
Just wondering Incase I do have to handfeed what is reccomended? I have read some stuff some say kitten milk replacment and some say dont and I have read to just mash the pellets with water and I have read alot recommend oxbow critical care. I think once I figure out whats best I will go on and get it and have it on hand and also whats recommend more using a syringe or buying one of the milk replacement bottles? sorry for all the questions I just want them to have the best start possible.

acoffey29

Cavy Slave
Just wondering Incase I do have to handfeed what is reccomended? I have read some stuff some say kitten milk replacment and some say dont and I have read to just mash the pellets with water and I have read alot recommend oxbow critical care. I think once I figure out whats best I will go on and get it and have it on hand and also whats recommend more using a syringe or buying one of the milk replacement bottles? sorry for all the questions I just want them to have the best start possible.

Attachments

093.jpg 097.jpg

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave

I don't personally have any experience with handfeeding, but I am sure one of the other members can share some tips? One thing I know for sure is, no milk of any kind! Guinea pigs are lactose intolerant and can only drink their mothers milk. They should be able to eat pellets, hay and fresh food very soon (or even from day one? Not sure!), so offer that to them and see if they eat it. Hope this helps

acoffey29

Cavy Slave
I don't personally have any experience with handfeeding, but I am sure one of the other members can share some tips? One thing I know for sure is, no milk of any kind! Guinea pigs are lactose intolerant and can only drink their mothers milk. They should be able to eat pellets, hay and fresh food very soon (or even from day one? Not sure!), so offer that to them and see if they eat it. Hope this helps
I just have to say how impressed I am of my momma guinea pig. She has done excellent so far tending to all the babies. She is a excellent momma. I was worried about her having to feed all 6 but they are all growing and very active and happy healthy little babies. They are all doing great. I have not had to do any hand feeding so far, I have some family who are wanting some of the babies but I am leaning towards building a cage for the males (5 out of 6 were males) and just keeping them all.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I don't have any advice to add but want to complement the lovely family.

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Awww - I just melted! Congrats on the little cuties!

iluvguineapigs2

Cavy Slave
Congratulations! They little piggies are adorable!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.