Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Honking sound?

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I went to reach into the cage and catch Vera for some lap time a minute ago and noticed Epona running around making a low honking type noise...this isn't the first time I've heard her do it, but she rarely ever does.

I don't really know how else to explain it except it sounded exactly like you'd honk a bicycle horn? A very low-pitched one?

I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with this and will most likely be making a vet appointment if needed.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
@Aleks That's the exact sound...ahh now I'm worried :( Definitely a vet visit is in order. Does anyone know how they check for heart problems? And if they do anything about it?

Aleks

Cavy Slave

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
@Aleks So I read through that page...this is a big hit. Apparently it's not curable and is treatable but 9 times out of 10 is fatal...

I'll be making an appointment as soon as my schedule clears up :(

Aleks

Cavy Slave
@Aleks So I read through that page...this is a big hit. Apparently it's not curable and is treatable but 9 times out of 10 is fatal...

I'll be making an appointment as soon as my schedule clears up :(

Oh gosh, I didn't read that part..
I'm so sorry. :(
Does she have any of the other symptoms listed?
Please let us know what they say when you take her to the vet. Sending positive thoughts your way<3

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Heart disease is 100% fatal, for everything on the planet. When your heart quits, you're gone.

BUT, 90% of guinea pigs with heart problems do not die quickly of them, particularly if they get treatment. Where on that Guinea Lynx page did you see that? Many live for years in total comfort and otherwise good health. Find a good exotic vet and get your pig there.

Most of the time, heart disease in guinea pigs is diagnosed with an x-ray which shows an enlarged heart. Other symptoms can be present, such as excess fluid in the lungs or other parts of the body. Sometimes it's diagnosed when a vet puts a pig on a course of heart meds and the pig improves, so they continue the treatment.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Oh gosh, I didn't read that part..
I'm so sorry. :(
Does she have any of the other symptoms listed?
Please let us know what they say when you take her to the vet. Sending positive thoughts your way<3
See that's the thing, she doesn't show any other signs. I've heard of pigs who hoot and when taken to the vet have no problems, like [MENTION=26169]GuineaGal2013[/MENTION] 's Peri. I think I'm going to keep an eye on her and see if she shows any other signs before I put a sense of urgency like someone's eye hanging out or something.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Heart disease is 100% fatal, for everything on the planet. When your heart quits, you're gone.

BUT, 90% of guinea pigs with heart problems do not die quickly of them, particularly if they get treatment. Where on that Guinea Lynx page did you see that? Many live for years in total comfort and otherwise good health. Find a good exotic vet and get your pig there.

Most of the time, heart disease in guinea pigs is diagnosed with an x-ray which shows an enlarged heart. Other symptoms can be present, such as excess fluid in the lungs or other parts of the body. Sometimes it's diagnosed when a vet puts a pig on a course of heart meds and the pig improves, so they continue the treatment.
Yeah, I'm going to call my vet tommorow and make an appointment for the next 2 weeks. I think she'll decide if she wants us in sooner but usually it's a 2 week wait.

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
Peri hoots sometimes. It is actually kind of funny to listen to. She shows no other symptoms and although we have not run a bunch of tests the vet has listened to her heart and says that she sounds fine. If I read the guinea lynx page correctly the sound might be because Peri is slightly overweight which effects her breathing. Being overweight can put a strain on the heart which might be why its listed as a symptom. (That being said Peri is overweight, but is not considered obese and the vet says that I do not need to put her on a special diet)

Aleks

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc I'm not trying to come off as abrasive, but I stated that it CAN be a sign of heart problems, not that it indefinitely is.
If it were me I would be taking her to the vet just to make sure, but then again that's just me.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
I'm going to wait for any other symptoms. I've read enough to comfortably say that unless she has other symptoms to just be on alert and that some pigs just hoot. I will definitely be keeping updates on this thread though.

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yeah, I'm going to call my vet tommorow and make an appointment for the next 2 weeks. I think she'll decide if she wants us in sooner but usually it's a 2 week wait.

A 2 week wait? Is there not an other guineapig vet you could see if you have wait the 2 weeks.

I'm going to wait for any other symptoms. I've read enough to comfortably say that unless she has other symptoms to just be on alert and that some pigs just hoot. I will definitely be keeping updates on this thread though.

I wouldn't wait for other symptoms. I would go..

Artista

Cavy Slave
I just went through this. Along with a URI she was hooting like an owl too at nights. Rarely during the day. I thought it was cute that she's imitating an owl until someone here mentioned it could be her heart. My exotic vet confirmed a soft heart murmur so she got an appt with a cardiologist who examined her closely. Xray showed slightly enlarged heart. He said no worries. Her murmur is innocent and does not make her more susceptable to heart problems later on. Whew! When her URI cleared, the hooting pretty much went away. I only have heard literally 3 hoots in the week she's been deemed better so much better.

I felt much better that my girl saw a cardiologist because the vet couldn't do what he did and doesn't have the knowledge like he does. It's like going to your pcp vs cardiologist for your heart.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
I just went through this. Along with a URI she was hooting like an owl too at nights. Rarely during the day. I thought it was cute that she's imitating an owl until someone here mentioned it could be her heart. My exotic vet confirmed a soft heart murmur so she got an appt with a cardiologist who examined her closely. Xray showed slightly enlarged heart. He said no worries. Her murmur is innocent and does not make her more susceptable to heart problems later on. Whew! When her URI cleared, the hooting pretty much went away. I only have heard literally 3 hoots in the week she's been deemed better so much better.

I felt much better that my girl saw a cardiologist because the vet couldn't do what he did and doesn't have the knowledge like he does. It's like going to your pcp vs cardiologist for your heart.
That's another thing, Epona's ever done it twice and it was 3 months apart, 1 time a day.

She has no signs of a URI or anything of the like, thank god.

I'm glad your girl is okay!

Artista

Cavy Slave
That's another thing, Epona's ever done it twice and it was 3 months apart, 1 time a day.

She has no signs of a URI or anything of the like, thank god.

I'm glad your girl is okay!

Thanks! I'd just keep a close eye on the eating and activity level. I think I waited 3 months before posting about the owl sounds she was making. A week of antibiotics fixed the URI it but upset her GI system badly that she wasn't eating much (except for lettuce of course) and poops were smaller or just pieces. She had to be hand fed every 2 hours for 1.5 weeks. It was last week that I last heard 3 hoots. This week, none.

Good luck with your cutie!

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
People........please. Not everything you read on Guinea Lynx is medically sound.......or even logical. There are many different indicators of heart issues, and you can't just pick out one of them and say....."oh hooting indicates a heart condition". There needs to be a whole constellation of signs and symptoms in order to diagnose any pathology. And it can't be diagnosed by watching a video on the Internet!

Cavies are as individual as we are. And just like some of us have high-pitched voices, low-pitched voices, squeaky voices, gravelly voices, etc., cavies have different "voices". My Maya earned two separate trips to the Vet because she makes this raspy sound that initially sounded like a URI, and then this raspy hooting. Turns out, it's just her voice. She does a variation on that hoot when she is hungry, usually when I have not fed them enough at a meal. She will lie in her tunnel and make the sound continuously. She stops after I feed her.

You say that your girl has no other signs? Personally, I'd do what's called "watchful waiting" and if she shows no other signs, then it's likely not an issue. If you just need an answer, then by all means take her to the Vet.

Although u r right in saying that every pig is different and that ONE symptom isn't enough to base everything off of... there r nicer ways to say it. I understand ur frustration but do u realize that lindsey is a teenage girl and she is worried about one of the few things in this world she truly loves with all her heart? she started this tread to help her think clearly, not because she is going to take every piece of information offered as absolute truth. Some people (like myself) panic first, then think themselves through it. I was worried when I found out Peri's hooting could be a sign of a problem, but I did my research and found out that it was the only symptom she was showing. Seeing as she only had the one symptom, I stopped worrying while still keeping a watchful eye for other symptoms JUST IN CASE.

Stephanie Bo

Cavy Slave
Jeez, thats a busy vet. I got an appointment the next day, couldve done same day probably if I had the time. Hopefully shes ok for two weeks!

My felix was coughing and occasionally making a crackling noise when he squeaked. I was concerned but unsure if he was sick. I decided to not risk it, and Im glad I didnt because he has a slight respiratory infection. Had I waited it couldve spread to his lungs and killed him.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
FWIW........GuineaGal2013..........have you looked at Lindsey's profile and her pic? I don't think that's a teenage girl unless she's holding her little sister.

Linds is a teenager and that is actually her little sister. lol

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc That's flattering, but yes, I am a teenager xD

[MENTION=28115]Stephanie Bo[/MENTION] Yeah they're pretty much the only vet that deals with exotics (monkeys, lizards, you name it) in this part of my county so they get wayyy over booked.

Update on Epona. As expected, she stopped making that sound the very same day and shows no other symptoms. Her weight is the same and she's eating fine. I'll continue to be on a period of waiting for a vet appointment. Thanks for all the responses!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.