Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits I know nothing about rabbits : (

piggielove123

Cavy Slave
A Rabbit cage

Hi guys... I know this is a guinea pig website but I want another pet right now and a guinea pig (even though I love them) is not the right pet for me right now : ( So I have been looking into rabbits, but I know nothing about them. I hoped some of you might have/had a rabbit and could give me some information. I honestly no nothing about them. Also how big of a cage do they need. I would like to built a c&c cage and put a few levels in. Thanks for all your help!

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Re: A Rabbit cage

I personally do not know much about rabbits. I know [MENTION=7434]Paula[/MENTION] has a lot of experience with rabbits, maybe she could help you out. :)

Agrimony

Cavy Slave

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
The size cage they need depends on the size rabbit you get. Why don't pigs work for you? There's a good chance that if you don't like guinea pigs, you will like rabbits even less. They are more work, more destructive, and require more food/veggies and more attention with similar ability and willingness to bond with their owner. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my rabbits, but I didn't have high expectations for them, either.

ShihTzuLover

Cavy Slave
What about Guinea Pigs makes them not the right pet for you? Just curious! Because as Paula said, if Guinea Pigs don't please you then a rabbit most likely won't either. Guinea Pigs and rabbits are only enjoyable for people who enjoy the work that goes into them, yet who don't expect much out of them but for them to be themselves. I enjoy the cage cleaning, veggie feeding, and handling of my pigs. I find it relaxing, and for me, that's the reason to own them.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
The size cage they need depends on the size rabbit you get. Why don't pigs work for you? There's a good chance that if you don't like guinea pigs, you will like rabbits even less. They are more work, more destructive, and require more food/veggies and more attention with similar ability and willingness to bond with their owner. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my rabbits, but I didn't have high expectations for them, either.

Thanks Paula! Didn't mean to call you out or anything ;)

piggielove123

Cavy Slave
Well my mom doesn't like guinea pigs because of many different things. After my last piggie died ( R.I.P Smudge) she said she was not getting another. I love guinea pigs with all my heart and if it was up to me I would get guinea pigs again, but it's not. So then I started thinking about rabbits and started looking into them. They sound like a great pet and I don't care about how much work comes with them because I like taking care of a pet. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have a small pet to take care of : )

puddin18

Cavy Slave
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't rabbit urine have a much stronger smell than guinea pig urine? I know that may be because they are not spayed or neutered. I just remember the smell from ones we had when I was younger.

I do know that rabbits are pretty good about being litter trained. My grandma had one that would roam the house, but she would go to her litter box. She was funny.

I do think it is glad you are doing research.

piggielove123

Cavy Slave
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't rabbit urine have a much stronger smell than guinea pig urine? I know that may be because they are not spayed or neutered. I just remember the smell from ones we had when I was younger.

I do know that rabbits are pretty good about being litter trained. My grandma had one that would roam the house, but she would go to her litter box. She was funny.

I do think it is glad you are doing research.
I do think they smell better if they are spayed/neutered and litter boxed trained... I also have a friend that has a rabbit that roams around free : )

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
I have rabbits! If you have any specific questions, just ask. :)
In regards to your cage question, it depends on the rabbit, and whether or not you plan to have your bun(s) free ranging for a large amount of the day. The House Rabbit Society has a wealth of information about rabbit care. Some articles you may want to take a look at are:
https://rabbit.org/faq-housing/
https://rabbit.org/faq-diet/
https://rabbit.org/what-to-feed-your-rabbit/ (short veggie list included)

Those are just the basics. There are so many good articles on that site, and I really recommend that you take the time to read some. It goes without saying, rabbits are a huge commitment and it is really worth researching fully to decide if they truly are the right pet for you before you adopt.

piggielove123

Cavy Slave
Thanks : ) Well one thing I would like to know is how do they smell compared to guinea pigs? (my mom hates the smell of guinea pigs, but I don't smell them at all)

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
Thanks : ) Well one thing I would like to know is how do they smell compared to guinea pigs? (my mom hates the smell of guinea pigs, but I don't smell them at all)

I've never really noticed a scent in either, to be honest. Maybe you just get used to it. All I really ever smell is hay and woodshavings. I suppose they both must have their own odour, but it's certainly not offensive.
Sorry, that wasn't particularly helpful. :)

piggielove123

Cavy Slave
I've never really noticed a scent in either, to be honest. Maybe you just get used to it. All I really ever smell is hay and woodshavings. I suppose they both must have their own odour, but it's certainly not offensive.
Sorry, that wasn't particularly helpful. :)

That helps thanks : )

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
My opinion is that rabbits smell more then guinea pigs especially big rabbits.

To be honest though if your parents did not like guinea pigs I'm pretty sure they are not going to like rabbits. Rabbits are quite destructive animals that think nothing of chewing a hole in your carpet or through your computer cords. They also are messier than guinea pigs often digging in their litter boxes and throwing around poo and wood chips or if left intact they can spray urine across a room, something a guinea pig couldn't even dream of.

I love rabbits but they are stubborn, challenging animals that require yearly vet check ups, training and care on par with a cat or dog.

piggielove123

Cavy Slave
thanks for your opinion [MENTION=19358]Inle_Rabbit[/MENTION]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.