Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flags Craigslist disgusts me.

• Thread starter TacoBellWinnieP
  • Start date

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

This cage doesn't even have bedding!! It's filthy and way too small! That poor thing! Report this man!

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Don't report, otherwise this piggie never find good home:(

RodentsRus

Cavy Slave
I agree with EllaBellaMuffin. Let hope that the pour guinea pig fines a new home and goes from rag to riches soon..

iluvguineapigs2

Cavy Slave
yes, but if it came from a breeder, don't you think they will keep on breeding more guinea pigs?

pinky

Cavy Slave
yes, but if it came from a breeder, don't you think they will keep on breeding more guinea pigs?

It doesn't look like he's from a breeder. More like someone who just doesn't want to bother with the poor thing. I agree that you should let him find another home. Thank goodness there's Craigslist so some of these poor babies get a chance when they aren't surrendered to a shelter or rescue.

ShihTzuLover

Cavy Slave
He likely came from a pet store, and petstores will never stop selling Guinea Pigs. I would take that pig in a heartbeat. I don't care where he came from, as long as he doesn't have to live a horrid life like that anymore.

Rhyue

Cavy Slave
I agree that this just looks like a guy trying to re-home a clearly unwanted animal. It is far better for him to be able to post on craigslist so there is a chance of the piggy finding a new home with someone who cares and knows what they're doing.

If you report him, given how much he seems to care, he might just throw the animal away outside or give it to someone to feed to their pet to get rid of him. I can't imagine that is a desirable outcome.

Craigslist may have many unpleasant ads, but its not craigslist itself that creates these people. It may be a gathering ground for these people given the ease of posting, but on the plus side it provides a medium for people who might otherwise be too lazy (or embarrassed to ask people in person) to find a home for their unwanted animal. If they didn't have this I imagine many more people would just get rid of or destroy an unwanted animal to avoid the trouble of asking around and trying to find a home themselves. This way a caring individual, from a ways away, can find them.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
He likely came from a pet store, and petstores will never stop selling Guinea Pigs. I would take that pig in a heartbeat. I don't care where he came from, as long as he doesn't have to live a horrid life like that anymore.

I agree. Poor thing! May he be taken out of that misery soon! Poor thing!! I would pay to take him if I were in Ohio to take him to a rescue myself!

ShihTzuLover

Cavy Slave
Craigslist was how I found my two boys. They were in a makeshift rescue with a woman who didn't have the resources to care for the animals. They came from a home with children who no longer wanted them, and she was just a stepping stone to their forever home with me, where they are cherished and spoiled. If craigslist didn't exist, they would still be stuck there without proper care.

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
I'm not saying craigslist in general. I meant the posts for small animals, like the people who have no regard for the animal's well being. I should have been clearer, sorry. I am actually trying to start a rehoming service of my own for small animals to make stories like @ShihTzuLover 's happen.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I feel so bad for this little piggy!! I actually looked at the location because I SO would take him in to foster! I agree, I wouldn't report, he needs a MUCH better home. At least the person has an adoption fee for him that way he is less likely to be snake food.

progiggleboxer

Cavy Slave
I was just looking in the Orlando listings to see what piggies were in the area. I saved this listing. If he's still there next weekend I'll see if my brother can grab him for me on his way down to visit. Poor little guy :(

RodentsRus

Cavy Slave
Thank goodness there's Craigslist.

I agree. We have adopt hamsters, a guineapig, a hedgehog and a rat from Craigslist or Kijiji ads.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I agree. We have adopt hamsters, a guineapig, a hedgehog and a rat from Craigslist or Kijiji ads.

Three of my six are from Craigslist and the other three are from rescues.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Another thing to consider is that a lot of pets end up on CL and similar sites before they get to a rescue or shelter, or while waiting to go to one of those places; so if you're able to adopt or take them in before they get to that point, you're helping the shelter/rescue by keeping the space open for animals that are potentially in worse situations/conditions than those you are taking in, too.

I have a friend who thinks the only way to rescue an animal is to take him from a humane society or rescue, but the reality is, if you take in a pet from CL, you are likely saving them from the shelter or a worse fate altogether. It does put you in more direct contact with idiots and people who don't care about the animals, but it's definitely worth the expenditure of energy to give a pet a much better life than those that are in situations like this poor guy.

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
found another. (broken link removed) I feel as though situations like these are a good place to start with my rescue

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
This one is absolutely awful. I'm definitely asking my mom if she'll allow me to get them from this breeder. (broken link removed)

lissie

Cavy Slave
This one is absolutely awful. I'm definitely asking my mom if she'll allow me to get them from this breeder. (broken link removed)

Don't get them from a breeder. If you buy them, they'll just breed more.

When you plan to rescue from Craigslist or other types of classified ads, make sure they are legitimately in need of new homes. Do not buy from breeder who will breed more.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
@TacoBellWinnieP, the best thing to do is flag all breeders you see and move on. Also, if you continue looking at the ads it WILL break your heart. I use to do this also and would feel horrible at the end of it. You can't help all the piggies in the world, sadly.

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Can I at least save them? "Can't breed them anymore so I'm selling them for snake food/dog fighting toys!" (basicallY) This breaks my heart. The others were bad but this takes the cake. I told my mom about this ad (whenever I tell her about something pig related she usually goes "were not getting more"before I even ask) and she was just like yeah that's terrible! I think she might be alright with this. Problem is, The listings roughly an hour away, but I might be in OrlAndo with my mom to see some old friends - maybe we can swing by and get them. Fingers crossed!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.