PDA

View Full Version : Teeth How to tell if teeth are too long?

Melissa123
06-02-13, 09:44 am
Guinea is eating a little differently than he normally does. He doesn't drop things but does open his mouth wider while chewing. He is still eating his usual amount though. I do weigh everyone and he is the same as he was last week. He just seems different, maybe more laid back and cuddly with me during lap time.

I've been looking on here and other sites to possibly get more info but haven't found anything that really helps me.
How long should their incisors be? I have compared everyone and all seem about the same length (not counting my babies). I do know the only true way to tell if his molars or roots are overgrown is to do an x-ray and check further back. Should this only be done if teeth issues are suspected or on a more routine bases?
Does anyone have pictures of what normal length incisors look like?
I am really not 100% sure on his age since I adopted him from a co worker who wasn't sure. I am guessing 4, but he could be older. I do know for a fact he has never had anything done with his teeth, ever. I will try to get pics of his once my hubby gets home for work. Thanks all!

bpatters
06-02-13, 03:53 pm
I'd just continue weighing and watching for a little while. If he's having trouble eating, eventually his weight will start dropping, and you can get him to a good vet. Things to look out for include slanted incisors, dropping food, inability to pick up food, drooling, and refusing to eat.

There's no way to really measure the incisors -- it depends on the shape of the pig's face, and other things. But the teeth shouldn't be so long that they cut into the bottom gums -- that's a sign of a problem that needs to be attended to.

Rhyue
06-02-13, 05:16 pm
As Bpatters said, I'd monitor his weight first and go from there. He might just have something stuck between teeth that he needs to work out and is making him hold his mouth open a bit, but might just wiggle out after a while. With the lap stuff he might just be getting more comfortable with you.

Different piggies eat and drink in different ways.

Melissa123
06-02-13, 06:29 pm
I'd just continue weighing and watching for a little while. If he's having trouble eating, eventually his weight will start dropping, and you can get him to a good vet. Things to look out for include slanted incisors, dropping food, inability to pick up food, drooling, and refusing to eat.

There's no way to really measure the incisors -- it depends on the shape of the pig's face, and other things. But the teeth shouldn't be so long that they cut into the bottom gums -- that's a sign of a problem that needs to be attended to.
Thanks so much! I will be keeping an eye on him for sure to make sure everything is fine. His teeth are not touching his gums, so that is a good thing. I've never had to get any of my boys teeth trimmed so I wasn't really sure what to look out for.

Melissa123
06-02-13, 06:35 pm
As Bpatters said, I'd monitor his weight first and go from there. He might just have something stuck between teeth that he needs to work out and is making him hold his mouth open a bit, but might just wiggle out after a while. With the lap stuff he might just be getting more comfortable with you.

Different piggies eat and drink in different ways.
I did check his incisors and saw nothing, but of course I can't tell if anything is in the back. I've had him for over 1 and a half now and he has never been a big cuddlier but has gotten a lot tamer since I've had him. He is my solo pig (had to separate him a week ago) so maybe he just wanted some extra attention today. Perhaps he was thanking me for the 2x2 upper level I made him a few days ago?! ;)

Paula
06-02-13, 07:12 pm
I've had a couple pigs with malo, and usually the first sign that something's not right with the teeth (besides the drop in weight) is that they tend to act like there is something stuck in their mouth and they are trying to get it unstuck, also they'll sometimes drop food over and over again. The main and most obvious indicator is weight loss, though, especially if he's living with another pig, because it's hard to notice a pig dropping pieces of food if he's not housed alone.

Melissa123
06-02-13, 07:33 pm
Paula, Guinea is my solo pig so monitoring what he eats should be fairly easy. Thinking I will start weighing him more often just to see if something is actually going on. Thanks for the info!