Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage How many piggies in 2'x2' cage?

ItsAmandaYall

Cavy Slave
I know cage size via square feet, but that's gibberish to me. Would I be able to house any piggies in a 2'x2' c&c? I talked to a breeder close by and she said it would be perfect for four piggies. I'd get your thoughts/opinions too. Thank you.

NormaS

Cavy Slave
That's too small, even for one pig. The minimum for one pig is 2' 3"x 3' 5". Or 2x3 in grids. Breeders are notorious for keeping their pigs in very small cages. For 4 sows you need 2' 3" x 7' of space or 2x6 in grids.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Breeders only usually use TINY cages and doesn't give the pigs much of a life at all, I know the breeders in NZ do two sq ft per pig...it's horrible.
The bigger you can do their cage the better, but 2' x 2' is to small for even one pig.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I know cage size via square feet, but that's gibberish to me. Would I be able to house any piggies in a 2'x2' c&c? I talked to a breeder close by and she said it would be perfect for four piggies. I'd get your thoughts/opinions too. Thank you.

2'x2' is only 4 sq.ft. The recommended size for one pig is 7.5 sq.ft. (2x3 C&C grids)
Preferred size for four pigs is 16 sq.ft. (2x6 C&C grids)

I hope you are not buying guinea pigs from the breeder.
Please adopt from rescues or shelters. You can also find guinea pigs to rehome from Craigslist.

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
that is definitely too small. i have a baby in a 2x2 right now because i dont want to intro until i make my cage bigger. plus it was good for quarentine. and even with a baby it looks small. luckily im upgrading very soon so everyone will have a ton of room.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
I have two 4 week old babies in a 2 x 3 because they are tiny, it should be fine to have a smaller cage for a smaller body, right? No way. Today I am expanding because they argue all the time. The bigger cage sizes are definitely better!

everydaylou

Cavy Slave
Holy cow! FOUR!!!??? I woudl question the professionalism of that breeder. They'd be on top of each other!

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I'm going to say what everyone else has said already- NO, 4 piggies should NOT be a tiny 2x2, that's not even enough for 1! Go rescue a few piggies. Don't buy from a breeder, especially when that breeder is incredibly wrong about cage sizes. You will find all the info you need on a correct cage size on Guinepigcages.com. Also, please prepare for those cases where all of your pigs will not get along. Meaning having space to separate and have a large enough cage for each pig or group. Make sure 100% that you have all same sex pigs also. Good luck :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
The breeder lied just to sell you four piggies.

Artista

Cavy Slave
That's smaller than my store bought cage I started with: 24" x 31" and my 1 pig was scrunched. You have to figure on toys, hideys (pigloo, tunnels, etc). You can't just have them in there with nothing or you will have a nightmare. They will be bored, fight, and just not be healthy in general. Imagine yourself in a small closet with other people in there with no place to hide for alone time. I have my 1 pig in a 2x4 c&c cage and with her pigloo, hidey sack and tunnel that she loves, it still looks small for her! But for now being on disability I have to stop with my new obsession! lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A 2x2 is four square feet, maybe five if you're talking about grids rather than actual feet. That's way below the suggested minimum for one pig, much less four. You'll have all-out fighting, biting, and ea-gnawing if you try to put that many pigs in one cage.

Precious Critters rescue in Spring has a bunch of guinea pigs available. See https://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelterid=TX1117&preview=1. Please don't buy from a breeder -- they'll just breed more poor pigs to be crammed into tiny cages.

ItsAmandaYall

Cavy Slave
I figured four piggies was way too many in that space, but since a newbie thought I'd ask. This may sound dumb, but what are the dimensions of a 2x3 c&c cage? I'll pass on the breeder, and look at the rescues. I'm located in Houston, if there are any suggestions?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I just gave you a link to a rescue in Spring in the post right before yours -- they have several pigs available.

There's a CAP (Citizens for Animal Protection) rescue in Katy -- see https://www.cap4pets.org/. They don't usually post their guinea pigs, but they do get them, you just have to call and ask.

There are several pigs available in the Houston area on Craigslist at https://houston.craigslist.org/. Search for both "guinea pig" and "guinea pigs" and be careful of the breeders. Some folks are including C&C cages with their pigs. There are also some free ones you could snap up and keep them from being snake food.

PrincessPiggy

Cavy Slave
A 2x3 C&C would be about 28"x45".
I have TEMPORARILY house two sows in a 2x2. While they didn't fight, they definitely weren't happy about it and were THRILLED when they were returned to their 2x4. There were popcorns everywhere! : )

lissie

Cavy Slave
What are the dimensions of a 2x3 c&c cage?

A 2x3 C&C cage is measured 27 x 41 inches (for the inside tray), the outside of the cage is approximately 30x44 inches.
Translated into feet is 2.25 ft x 3.42 ft.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I figured four piggies was way too many in that space, but since a newbie thought I'd ask. This may sound dumb, but what are the dimensions of a 2x3 c&c cage? I'll pass on the breeder, and look at the rescues. I'm located in Houston, if there are any suggestions?
Happy you've decided to adopt vs. buying! :) Not sure how many piggies you will be getting once you find the right rescue and pigs, but a 2x3 would be too small for 4. I am sure you've figured this out by now but thought I'd put my 2 cents in. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.