Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites My guineas have lice

Kimvwhite

Cavy Slave
I've only had them a week and a half and the vet said they must have gotten it from the pet shop they're in :( anyway he told me to give the ivomec every 10 days. First day is 0.01 ml. 10 days later 0.02 ml and 10 days later 0.03. Then go back to him and see if the lice is gone. That seems like it's not enough to do anything. Has anyone else's pigs been prescribed this medicine and that time line? I feel like it isn't enough. Also is there anything I can do in the mean time to help with the itching? A shampoo,cream or flea brush ? By the way the both weigh 0.6 lbs each

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That sounds like fairly reasonable doses. But how much do your pigs weigh? Generally, very young pigs aren't given ivermectin.

How did you know they had lice? Could you see them crawling on the pigs?

Kimvwhite

Cavy Slave
I said in my last post they both weigh .6 pounds. They are 8 weeks old. I'm sure he knows what he doing but I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to relieve some of the itching while I'm waiting for the meds to work. Is there? I'm gonna call the vet and ask Monday to make sure. And yes I seen the lice on them and brought them to the vet the next day. I'm not pleased with the pet shop at all.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sorry, I missed the weights in your earlier post. I'd be concerned about giving ivermectin to pigs that small.

I don't know of anything you can do to relieve the itching.

You've unfortunately run into one of the big problems with buying pigs from pet shops. They're often ill, mis-sexed, and/or have parasites. Next time, please consider adopting from a rescue or shelter. Not only will you give a homeless pig a home, but you won't be supporting the breeding mills that treat their pigs so horribly.

Speaking of mis-sexed, are you sure yours are both the same? At the very least, turn them over and compare them. See www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm for pictures to help. Aside from all the genetic problems with guinea pig pups and the high death rate for sows, these are just babies, and are way too young to be having babies themselves. Males can impregnate females at four weeks of age, and females can get pregnant between four and five weeks. So your pigs are plenty old enough to reproduce, but too young to put that kind of stress on their bodies.

Kimvwhite

Cavy Slave
I called the shelters but I live in a very small place and guinea pigs are hard to come by in pet shops. Even harder in shelters or I definitely would have got them there! They are definitely both females ( thank god haha) the pet store sexed them then I did and so did the vet. It's a very minuscule amount so I hope nothing happens. Would there be any other treatments for live on pigs that small? They've been peeing or pooping out a milky mixture along with their normal droppings. I'm concerned about that so I'm calling the vet Monday morning because they are closed over the weekend. Their behaviour is as normal as ever though but they are shedding a bit from scratching I suppose. I didn't mean to sound rude in my last post about the weight! I was half asleep and re read it this morning and realized it sounded rude! Sorry!

Kimvwhite

Cavy Slave
Also I did mix the meds with pineapple juice so maybe that's the reason for the white excretions ? First time owner if you didn't notice haha

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The white urine may be from the pineapple juice, or from your regular diet. They're young, so you don't need to limit calcium now, but it will be something to watch in the future.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I wouldn't shampoo or use any cream. The ivermectin should take care of it. How are you administering it?

Kimvwhite

Cavy Slave
We're giving it to them by mouth .

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.