Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm one of the many newbies!!:)

MissCavyWorld

Cavy Slave
Hi!!!! I am a HUGE cavy lover!! I currently have one female piggy named Wheeker!! She doesn't have a playmate because she doesn't like other piggies!! She is completely happy by her self!!:) I have had 2 guinea pigs before and they both were adopted!! Their names were Baxter and Brownie!! They were my girls!! They both passed away about a year ago.:weepy: So now I saw this ADORABLE American Guinea Pig at the adoption center and adopted her!! I don't have any pictures now but will have some up soon!! Oh and I'm happy I found a forum with all things guinea pigs! Nice to know their are other cavy lovers who truly love their cavy's!!:p

Last edited by a moderator:

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum MissCavyWorld and Wheeker!

We would love to see some pigtures!

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome here :D I'd like to introduce you to the forum.

EVERYONE THIS IS MISSCAVYWORLD :p

lol anyways, you'll have alot of fun here, feel free to post as many photos as you'd like :D

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! How did you establish that she doesn't like other guinea pigs?

MissCavyWorld

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! How did you establish that she doesn't like other guinea pigs?
She would get all tense and rumble. We are still thinking about trying!!:) We'll see!!!:) At the adoption shelter we were looking to get another piggy for her and she was very aggressive looking when we would put her up to a cage next to one:( but like I said we'll see!:)

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Pictures please :D I was also wondering how you found out she doesn't like other piggies? Some shelters only try them with one other piggy or so and certain piggies just won't get along. She may just be the top piggy and need a mellow pig to balance things out.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Its natural behavior to meeting a new guinea pig. They immediately establish pecking order upon meeting. Sme behaviors may look scary or threatening, but most are perfectlt acceptable. Definitely try for a cagemate. My cute pig had a hay day when her cagemate died. She's also mucher more active and happy alone. Her cagemate wasn't annoying. She minded her own business and kept to herself. An oversized cage didn't make her feel any better. It reduced her negative behavior towards her cagemate. But she still disliked her.

While there is such a thing as loner pigs. You still need to try to give her a cage mate. Don't hold back and seperate because of teeth bearing or what appears to be lashing out. The common saying is "do not seperate unless blood is drawn". Make sure your cage is spacious, have more than 1 food bowl, water bottle hay and veggie access...all should go well.

Agrimony

Cavy Slave

Lishar

Cavy Slave
First of all WELCOME! :D

And that's normal piggy behavior when she gets tense and rumbles. ;)

acydrose

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I hope we get pigtures soon!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Getting tense & rumbling is not an indication of not liking other pigs. That's something any pig would do when meeting another pig. It's about establishing dominance. Go ahead and find her a female friend.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Rumbling is a normal behavior in piggies. All of them do it when establishing who is top piggy and/or when they are telling another pig to give them some space. I've even had one of my boys rumble at me! LOL Do you know the true warning signs before a fight will happen? This will help you out when introing them. I would try her out with a mellow female piggy. Chances are it will help her come out of her shell as piggies are herd animals. Comfort in numbers. :)

Nessy

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome, I'm not experienced enough to give advice, but welcome! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.