Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C How to make a top for C and C Cage?

codoggydr

Cavy Slave
Hello,

This is my first post, so forgive me if I am asking questions which have been asked before. I am planning on getting guinea pigs and have purchased the materials to make a C and C 2 x 5 with a 2 x 2 loft. I have found the instructions for making the basic cage, but have not been able to find information on how to construct the loft/ramp and tops. Could somebody please point me in the direction of any helpful hints?

Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Closet shelving makes awesome lids.

codoggydr

Cavy Slave
I've seen the closet shelving lids but was thinking of making tops out of grids and don't quite know how to put them together/create a latch for safety. We have a 27# Maine Coon and two large dogs, so I really want this secure.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I've seen the closet shelving lids but was thinking of making tops out of grids and don't quite know how to put them together/create a latch for safety. We have a 27# Maine Coon and two large dogs, so I really want this secure.
Do you have pets you are keeping out? if so use the shelving, its much more sturdy. The cage store also sells a lid system with hinges. I just zipped tied the lids to the cage. As for a latch you can use any spring latch.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
If I were to make a lid out of grids I would probably zip tie the grids for the lid together and zip tie them to one side of the cage, then hold it onto the other side with a few binder clips or something. I'm not sure how well this would even work as I've never actually used a lid, but i think it sounds like it would be suitable.
Sorry if that's confusing, I'm trying to explain my idea the best way that i can. lol If you want i could try to draw a reference pic for you?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Use closet shelving. If you get one that's 6 feet long it should be perfect for the top of the cage. Then zip tie to one side so it will open.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.