PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

RandomCavy
05-16-13, 05:15 pm
Hi! I have a male guinea pig named Bolt. He is owned by a family member, but I do most of the care for him. I plan to get him a bigger cage, fleece bedding and a buddy soon because as of now he has a store bought cage, wood chips and not much space to move around (under the minimum shown on this site). We got him around August/September of last year and he is great. He will sit there while little kids bang on his cage and the family cat ran away when we introduced them lol (we were supervising very closely). I hope I can learn some things from being here!

bpatters
05-16-13, 06:07 pm
Welcome! Sounds like you're already on your way to learning!

spudsthepiget
05-16-13, 06:45 pm
Welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask any questions, we're here to help each other! :)

RandomCavy
05-16-13, 07:40 pm
Welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask any questions, we're here to help each other! :)

Ok here's one question; I want to get bolt a buddy, but I have read that male pairings can go bad. I also don't want to risk neutering him if I get a girl pig (and I don't want babies). Which would go better? a male with a male or a (neutered) male with a female? Should I get a baby to go with bolt? (we've had him 9 months, but he was from a petstore, how old are petstore pigs when they're sold?)

bpatters
05-16-13, 07:47 pm
Pet store pigs are pretty young when they're sold, usually under three months.

Males can live happily together, given plenty of room and as few opportunities for squabbling as possible -- no hideys where one pig can trap another, no narrow ramps when they have to pass each other to get to the food, multiple food and water stations, etc. They will have hormonal issues as they go through adolescence, and Bolt isn't quite out of that period yet. If you got a very young pig, Bolt might have matured enough by the time the baby hits adolescence. Or you might try to find an older pig who's well beyond his teenage years.

Please look for a pig to adopt rather than to buy. For one thing, it cuts down on the chances of getting an ill or missexed pig, or one with parasites. For another, some rescues will let you bring your pig in and see how well it does with some of their pigs, in essence, letting him pick his own buddy.

RandomCavy
05-16-13, 07:54 pm
yeah I am planning on adopting or (as a last resort) finding one on craigslist. Thanks!