PDA

View Full Version : Rat cage? Wheels?

Agrimony
05-10-13, 03:17 pm
I'm pretty clueless on rats but I want to help my roommate get a bigger cage and buddy for her rat as a birthday present. I'm looking on Craigslist and I found this one, and I wondered if it is suitable? Also can they use wheels or are they dangerous like to guinea pigs? If this is not suitable some suggestions would be great. The book she bought has a very small cage pictured, which he is in now, but we really want something a little bigger so we can get him a friend.

scruffytufty
05-10-13, 03:27 pm
rats love wheels, like hammies and mice, a solid plastic one is always best so there little feet done get caught, im not sure but that looks like a hamster cage though x

Varcoda
05-10-13, 04:23 pm
wheels are great for rats :) i'm not sure how big cages rats need, but that sure looks like an improvement at least :)

ThePigAlchemist
05-11-13, 12:02 pm
As a minimum, you want 2 cubic feet per rat in the cage. So if you have the dimensions, that gives you something to work with.

Agrimony
05-11-13, 12:11 pm
Thank you guys for the tips! I contacted the seller asking the dimensions but haven't heard back yet.

piggiepigpigs75
06-05-13, 06:25 pm
find the dimensions, then google rat cage calculator, find a cage calculator and then enter the dimensions and then voila!

rat cage calculator: http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml

Agrimony
06-05-13, 06:38 pm
Awesome link thank you!

mmas4
06-05-13, 07:30 pm
Looks like its 24" x 12" by 24" which is too small.
http://reviews.petsmart.com/4830/2753300/super-pet-super-pet-deluxe-critter-home-reviews/reviews.htm

Solid 12 in wheels are ok for rats but many will not use them. 1 out of the 6 rats I had actually used it and he would get bored with it quickly.

Agrimony
06-05-13, 07:35 pm
Unfortunately I already purchased this cage :/

But I will pass on this info to my roommate and perhaps she will opt to get a bigger cage and re sell this one! I just picked it up last weekend and not sure when she is getting a buddy for him. My cousins rat that she just adopted just had babies so she might wait unitl they are ready but i'm not sure. I've brought it up a few times but it is not my pet and I do not want to be too pushy of course.

Starthecavy123
10-21-13, 09:41 pm
Rats love wheels