Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying When can Otto go back in with the boys?

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
I had Otto neutered Monday and I'm wondering when he can get out of his small cage and back in with the boys? I know he can't be with Jadzia for 2 more weeks. He's getting very hyper in the little cage I have him in and he seems lonely, SO... I'm wondering when I can at least move him back in with the boys. I can't remember how long the vet told me to keep him completely alone (I can call her, but figured someone on here might know). He's on my lap right now and won't sit still. His incisions and sutures look great, still changing his liner out once a day and picking up all poop three times a day.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think a week is what's usually recommended. If he's too active before then, he may stretch the incision and later have problems with scar tissue.

I don't know where you're keeping him, but when one of my pigs had stone surgery, I just made a hospital pen for her by dividing one end of the cage with grids. That way, she was in a familiar place, but it was too small for her to do much running around. As she felt better, I moved the divider an inch or so a day, and took it out altogether after about eight days.

But stone surgery isn't quite as much cutting as neutering, so it wouldn't hurt to keep him pretty quiet for an extra day or so.

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
I'll wait until Monday at least then. He has a vet appt on Monday so it wouldn't hurt to have her look at the incision and tell me whether or not he's ready. I just feel bad for him since he went from a mansion, to getting neutered, and then being put in a small cage alone. I know in the long run he'll be happy to be with Jadzia, but for now I feel sorry for him. I'm really thankful he's been doing so well with it. Normal eating, no inflammation, and he's hyper as all get out (not good for his incision if he gets too rough, but at least he must feel pretty well if he's moving around so much). Thanks [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] .

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.