Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea Pig Newbie

danimae1981

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I've only been a guinea pig owner for a couple months but this site has been a great resource so I thought I'd share our story so far. It's been quite an adventure! A couple months ago we decided it was time to get a pet, as our kids had been asking for a furry friend for a while. Guinea pigs seemed like a great choice for us. We adopted 2 little piggies, Mystery and Guinea Guinea, from a pet store, as we had no clue at that point that there were other places to get them. It turned out to be a mistake. :sad: When I took them to a vet for a check-up, we learned that they both had respiratory infections. We put them on antibiotics, but unfortunately Guinea Guinea didn't make it. Once Mystery was all better, we started looking for a new companion for her from a shelter. Unfortunately the closest shelter I could find that had females was an hour away, but I decided it was worth it to rescue an animal. I went to the shelter and adopted a bonded pair of females... or so I thought. After we got home I took a closer look and to my surprise, they were both males. Thank goodness I had them in a quarantine cage! It broke my heart to take them back to the shelter, but I was able to exchange them for an adorable baby, Candy, who had come from a pregnant piggy, so it all worked out. Her quarantine ended a few days ago and she's moved into the C&C cage with Mystery, where they get along great. Today I adopted a 3rd baby piggy (our first abyssinian) from a local person who was unable to keep her. She has some bald spots on her so I'm concerned she might have mites, but she's settling into the quarantine cage and I have her scheduled to see the vet on Tuesday. I'm not sure if there's much I can do for her in the meantime but I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on her and do everything I can to get her feeling better. So, there's our story. It's certainly been a bit rough but we absolutely love our guinea pigs and their great personalities make it all worth it. :love: Here's pictures of Mystery, Candy & our new addition:
DSC_0121.jpgDSC_0173.jpgDSC_0234.jpg

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! If you have any questions, we're all happy to help ;) Your piggies are gorgeous!

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Welcome!! They're sooooo cute!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.