Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives under bed storage bins..who knew?

aeiou

Cavy Slave
OK so I was at a party and I was talking to my cousin about guinea pigs..like my usual conversations :) Anyway we were talking about cages, and she said that instead of coroplast, she uses the under the bed style storage bins! And my mind was blown! I can't believe I never thought it before! It seems like it would be pretty common but I don't hear it mentioned ever! Just wondering has anyone else thought of that or did it blow your mind too?

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
The only issue with those is they are normally not big enough for guinea pigs, ie. meet or exceed the minimum 7.5 sq ft.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
Yeah I guess it would be hard to find a big one! But her cages look super cool (and big enough :)) I wish I had pictures!
But thanks for clearing that up for me CanadianComforts

Mowgs

Cavy Slave
You could probably easily make a bridge to connect several bins. That actually might be something I look into so that I don't have to buy extra cages for my parents' house when I take my piggies home over break.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
:) Glad someone else was inspired too :) Like said, it blew my mind! Although, I'm a simple minded person so my mind is easily blown :D

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I thought about it but again thought the same thing about the size of them. I would love to see the pictures of them see if you can get some. Plus probably cheaper with the coroplast and you could get a bigger cage for( 4 x 8 sheet for 20.00). they would be a good kitchen area for a larger floor cage though for sure.

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
I guess if you really couldnt find coroplast and the bins were not big enough you could always cut two and tape them together to make them big enough. i know the bins you are talking about but i have never seen a really big one myself. so it might be hard to find a really big one. but they are good because they are not deep, like other bins

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
20 years ago when I had my first guinea pigs that is what they lived in. The under bed storage things are no where near as large as a C&C but they were bigger than pet store cages at the time.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
I like the kitchen idea! That might just be happening! I really wish I had some pics though

cheesypuffpea

Cavy Slave
Would love to see a picture of her cage please!

aeiou

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc what do you mean by not deep enough? She uses grids around them, if that's what you mean. Sorry if I was unclear

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I had one that was definitely big enough that was not as wide as 2 grids but a little longer than 3 grids long so it worked out to the same size as a 2x3. I almost used it instead of the Midwest Habitat when I first started out. But decided I liked it for storage and couldn't find another to buy ;) It had a green top so I think it was a promotion at Christmas.

I use another similar shallow storage tote as my kitchen though and it works great.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I had one that was definitely big enough that was not as wide as 2 grids but a little longer than 3 grids long so it worked out to the same size as a 2x3. I almost used it instead of the Midwest Habitat when I first started out. But decided I liked it for storage and couldn't find another to buy ;) It had a green top so I think it was a promotion at Christmas.

I use another similar shallow storage tote as my kitchen though and it works great.

I bet that was one of the Christmas wrap storage unit.

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

aeiou

Cavy Slave
@Kristine that's the one she has! She has two piggies in there. Here cage looks pretty cool.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
Awesome! lol for a second there I was wondering if she was confused

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.