Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C i need help!! Cage size question

chip123

Cavy Slave
hi I was wondering if it would be ok to put 2 gps in a 2x3 c&c for at night because they will be out all day(so kinda free range) and I don't want to drom anything on them at night thanks all answeres appreciated very much

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Personally, I wouldn't but, I believe that is literally the bare minimum for 2 pigs. Do you have the piggies already or are you still looking? Is there a way for you to make a 3x3? Also, will it be males or females? Males need much more space than the minimum for 2 pigs. Wider, large spaces regardless if they will just be in their main cage for just the night.

AlphaLyrae

Cavy Slave
Where are they "free ranging"? I can only imagine all the poop, LOL.

Rhyue

Cavy Slave
I'd recommend striving to make at least a 2x4 (a pair of males can get along in a 2x4, depends on the individuals, but more space is better). However as a temporary thing and depending on how well the piggies get along/their age it could work, at least for a while, but it doesn't match the recommended minimum for two piggies (even if it is just for at night- guinea pigs are still somewhat active at night and could get into a fight due to the small space, especially if they're used to more).

chip123

Cavy Slave
Personally, I wouldn't but, I believe that is literally the bare minimum for 2 pigs. Do you have the piggies already or are you still looking? Is there a way for you to make a 3x3? Also, will it be males or females? Males need much more space than the minimum for 2 pigs. Wider, large spaces regardless if they will just be in their main cage for just the night.

I havnt got them yet as I will be getting them after the summer and it is almost inpossible to get a 3x3 and I am probably going to get females

chip123

Cavy Slave
I'd recommend striving to make at least a 2x4 (a pair of males can get along in a 2x4, depends on the individuals, but more space is better). However as a temporary thing and depending on how well the piggies get along/their age it could work, at least for a while, but it doesn't match the recommended minimum for two piggies (even if it is just for at night- guinea pigs are still somewhat active at night and could get into a fight due to the small space, especially if they're used to more).

ok I get it do you think it would be ok to keep them out at night with access to the cage like what I would do in the day:?:

Vintage

Cavy Slave
A 2x3 cage for the night should be ok if the piggies don't fight. Free range would be fine IF you kept your room guinea pig proof and clean. But somehow I imagine you'll change your mind when you see how they leave poop and urine everywhere lol

chip123

Cavy Slave
A 2x3 cage for the night should be ok if the piggies don't fight. Free range would be fine IF you kept your room guinea pig proof and clean. But somehow I imagine you'll change your mind when you see how they leave poop and urine everywhere lol

hopefully they wont fight becoz I will hopefully be getting a bonded pair and my roomis already cleanand guinea pig proof and as for the carpet and that I think it will work as I already hoover 2 times a day(I will put them in a differeny room for this) and also I don't think it will be a prob for the carpet with the pee as it will be easy to clean does any one knoe a good way to get the pee of the carpet (hopefully a way that is easy and quick thanks)

chip123

Cavy Slave
thank you all

Rhyue

Cavy Slave
If the room has carpet I'd really strongly advise against letting them free-range unless you've managed to cover the carpet in a waterproof sheet (like shower curtains taped together with water proof tape) with an absorbent layer on top. Guinea pigs pee very frequently, they're not like dogs or cats that might only pee a few times a day. There will be pee all over the place in short order. If they're getting a bit much calcium they might also have calcium sludge in their urine that can get on the carpet and make it crusty and that'll require some extra work to break down. If they're males they may get semen on the carpet as well (accidental or on purpose). Guinea pig semen (if you haven't read about it) is often referred to as "boar glue" because this stuff becomes like super-glue almost instantly becoming near impossible to get off. I've got some fleece that they've made a mess on over a year ago and despite being through the laundry probably 20+ times by now (I rotate my fleece) it hasn't shown the slightest inclination of coming off.

Guinea pigs also mark their territory (even females sometimes) by rubbing scent glands on surfaces and peeing so the carpet can become smelly from scent marking which may be hard to find. Additionally, since they're marking territory the pee might not be isolated to a few puddles, but smeared over longer areas and in smaller quantities but all over the place. Poop can also get ground into the carpet if they walk on it making for a more difficult clean just than just vacuuming.

I'd really only recommend letting piggies free roam on a floor with something like vinyl which wont absorb anything, is easy to wipe clean with a cloth or a mop if need be, and doesn't have cracks for excrement to get into.

You can try it, but it'll be a lot of work to keep clean. Best of luck to you all the same though.

3.littlepigs

Cavy Slave
I would try and give them as much space as you can. My 3 boys are in a 4x4 which will eventually be expanded into a 4x5. Also like previous posters have said I wouldn't let my piggies be free range all day no matter how much I love them, as they pee and poop wherever they want and it'd take hours to clean up after them

chip123

Cavy Slave
ok do u think it would be ok if I wash my carper withha carper cleaner daily(I usually do it every 2nd day but I wouldn't mind doing it daily)

chip123

Cavy Slave
i have an idea

hi I think I have just found a way to get a 2x4 cage(I need to do a lot of reorganizing)but do you think this would be ok for 2 males and also what gender do u find is best and also do u find males more stubborn than females and such

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Re: i have an idea

A 2X4 is okay but not for two males. Males need more space than females because they tend to be a bit more territorial.

Which gender is "better" to have is a very subjective question. It really depends on who you ask. Different qualities in a guinea pig rely more on individual personality of the pig rather than on gender.

If you have space for a 2X4, I would recommend two females.

chip123

Cavy Slave

ok thanks I was thinking and if I move my chair I could get I think a 4x3 do u think this is ok and do u know how many grids it would take

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

ok thanks I was thinking and if I move my chair I could get I think a 4x3 do u think this is ok and do u know how many grids it would take

That would depends on if you make a base, some people do not. 14 for no base, 22 with a base.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
ok do u think it would be ok if I wash my carper withha carper cleaner daily(I usually do it every 2nd day but I wouldn't mind doing it daily)

LOL...you need to come live at my house!

chip123

Cavy Slave
lol........................soz needed 10 letters

chip123

Cavy Slave

I wasn't going to do a base and sorry to bother u but I just got my dad to calculate it out and it turns out I can only get a 3and1/2 by 3 but would this be enogh for males (they will also have access24/7 to my room so kinda free range and I will wash the carpet.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
I am fairly certain most carpet cleaners will be toxic to guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.