PDA

View Full Version : C&C i need help!! Cage size question

chip123
05-06-13, 09:17 am
hi I was wondering if it would be ok to put 2 gps in a 2x3 c&c for at night because they will be out all day(so kinda free range) and I don't want to drom anything on them at night thanks all answeres appreciated very much

Melissa123
05-06-13, 09:44 am
Personally, I wouldn't but, I believe that is literally the bare minimum for 2 pigs. Do you have the piggies already or are you still looking? Is there a way for you to make a 3x3? Also, will it be males or females? Males need much more space than the minimum for 2 pigs. Wider, large spaces regardless if they will just be in their main cage for just the night.

AlphaLyrae
05-06-13, 09:49 am
Where are they "free ranging"? I can only imagine all the poop, LOL.

Rhyue
05-06-13, 09:58 am
I'd recommend striving to make at least a 2x4 (a pair of males can get along in a 2x4, depends on the individuals, but more space is better). However as a temporary thing and depending on how well the piggies get along/their age it could work, at least for a while, but it doesn't match the recommended minimum for two piggies (even if it is just for at night- guinea pigs are still somewhat active at night and could get into a fight due to the small space, especially if they're used to more).

chip123
05-06-13, 10:00 am
Personally, I wouldn't but, I believe that is literally the bare minimum for 2 pigs. Do you have the piggies already or are you still looking? Is there a way for you to make a 3x3? Also, will it be males or females? Males need much more space than the minimum for 2 pigs. Wider, large spaces regardless if they will just be in their main cage for just the night.

I havnt got them yet as I will be getting them after the summer and it is almost inpossible to get a 3x3 and I am probably going to get females

chip123
05-06-13, 10:51 am
I'd recommend striving to make at least a 2x4 (a pair of males can get along in a 2x4, depends on the individuals, but more space is better). However as a temporary thing and depending on how well the piggies get along/their age it could work, at least for a while, but it doesn't match the recommended minimum for two piggies (even if it is just for at night- guinea pigs are still somewhat active at night and could get into a fight due to the small space, especially if they're used to more).

ok I get it do you think it would be ok to keep them out at night with access to the cage like what I would do in the day:?:

Vintage
05-06-13, 10:57 am
A 2x3 cage for the night should be ok if the piggies don't fight. Free range would be fine IF you kept your room guinea pig proof and clean. But somehow I imagine you'll change your mind when you see how they leave poop and urine everywhere lol

chip123
05-06-13, 11:20 am
A 2x3 cage for the night should be ok if the piggies don't fight. Free range would be fine IF you kept your room guinea pig proof and clean. But somehow I imagine you'll change your mind when you see how they leave poop and urine everywhere lol

hopefully they wont fight becoz I will hopefully be getting a bonded pair and my roomis already cleanand guinea pig proof and as for the carpet and that I think it will work as I already hoover 2 times a day(I will put them in a differeny room for this) and also I don't think it will be a prob for the carpet with the pee as it will be easy to clean does any one knoe a good way to get the pee of the carpet (hopefully a way that is easy and quick thanks)

chip123
05-06-13, 11:36 am
thank you all

Rhyue
05-06-13, 11:55 am
If the room has carpet I'd really strongly advise against letting them free-range unless you've managed to cover the carpet in a waterproof sheet (like shower curtains taped together with water proof tape) with an absorbent layer on top. Guinea pigs pee very frequently, they're not like dogs or cats that might only pee a few times a day. There will be pee all over the place in short order. If they're getting a bit much calcium they might also have calcium sludge in their urine that can get on the carpet and make it crusty and that'll require some extra work to break down. If they're males they may get semen on the carpet as well (accidental or on purpose). Guinea pig semen (if you haven't read about it) is often referred to as "boar glue" because this stuff becomes like super-glue almost instantly becoming near impossible to get off. I've got some fleece that they've made a mess on over a year ago and despite being through the laundry probably 20+ times by now (I rotate my fleece) it hasn't shown the slightest inclination of coming off.

Guinea pigs also mark their territory (even females sometimes) by rubbing scent glands on surfaces and peeing so the carpet can become smelly from scent marking which may be hard to find. Additionally, since they're marking territory the pee might not be isolated to a few puddles, but smeared over longer areas and in smaller quantities but all over the place. Poop can also get ground into the carpet if they walk on it making for a more difficult clean just than just vacuuming.

I'd really only recommend letting piggies free roam on a floor with something like vinyl which wont absorb anything, is easy to wipe clean with a cloth or a mop if need be, and doesn't have cracks for excrement to get into.

You can try it, but it'll be a lot of work to keep clean. Best of luck to you all the same though.

3.littlepigs
05-06-13, 12:03 pm
I would try and give them as much space as you can. My 3 boys are in a 4x4 which will eventually be expanded into a 4x5. Also like previous posters have said I wouldn't let my piggies be free range all day no matter how much I love them, as they pee and poop wherever they want and it'd take hours to clean up after them

chip123
05-06-13, 01:19 pm
ok do u think it would be ok if I wash my carper withha carper cleaner daily(I usually do it every 2nd day but I wouldn't mind doing it daily)

chip123
05-06-13, 02:32 pm
hi I think I have just found a way to get a 2x4 cage(I need to do a lot of reorganizing)but do you think this would be ok for 2 males and also what gender do u find is best and also do u find males more stubborn than females and such

CavyMama
05-06-13, 02:45 pm
A 2X4 is okay but not for two males. Males need more space than females because they tend to be a bit more territorial.

Which gender is "better" to have is a very subjective question. It really depends on who you ask. Different qualities in a guinea pig rely more on individual personality of the pig rather than on gender.

If you have space for a 2X4, I would recommend two females.

chip123
05-06-13, 02:49 pm
ok thanks I was thinking and if I move my chair I could get I think a 4x3 do u think this is ok and do u know how many grids it would take

lunarminx
05-06-13, 02:57 pm
ok thanks I was thinking and if I move my chair I could get I think a 4x3 do u think this is ok and do u know how many grids it would take

That would depends on if you make a base, some people do not. 14 for no base, 22 with a base.

lunarminx
05-06-13, 03:01 pm
ok do u think it would be ok if I wash my carper withha carper cleaner daily(I usually do it every 2nd day but I wouldn't mind doing it daily)

LOL...you need to come live at my house!

chip123
05-06-13, 03:06 pm
lol........................soz needed 10 letters

chip123
05-06-13, 03:09 pm
I wasn't going to do a base and sorry to bother u but I just got my dad to calculate it out and it turns out I can only get a 3and1/2 by 3 but would this be enogh for males (they will also have access24/7 to my room so kinda free range and I will wash the carpet.

CritterSlave
05-06-13, 03:23 pm
I am fairly certain most carpet cleaners will be toxic to guinea pigs.

lunarminx
05-06-13, 03:34 pm
You could just use white vinegar in the steam cleaner.

CavyMama
05-06-13, 04:37 pm
A 3X 3 1/2 is not enough square footage for two males. You might be able to squeek by for two females. but males need the extra room (at least 13 sq ft) or it's likely to causing fighting.

aeiou
05-06-13, 08:55 pm
I've never heard of having at least 13 sq feet for two males. A 3x3 1/2 is a little larger than a 2x4 so not exactly "squeaking by" for two females... I'm just going by what I've read on the cages website (http://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/about-candccages) it says that with males, you go up one cage size.

CavyMama
05-06-13, 09:30 pm
A 2X4 is squeeking by for two males. A 2X5 is "one size up" from that.

ThePigAlchemist
05-06-13, 09:32 pm
My two guys get along great in a 3x3. It's only one square grid less than a 2x5. I think that it really depends on how well the males get along. And a 3x3.5 is 10.5 square grids, bigger than a 2x5.

lissie
05-06-13, 10:11 pm
3x3.5 cage is about 14 sq.ft.
It's big enough for boars.

Colorado Cavies
05-06-13, 10:17 pm
So far I've had 2 pairs of boys in my rescue. Both were housed in 2x3s fully knowing that we would likely have to upgrade as the younger boys grew up. They are now 7 and 8 months and have never even once fought with their cage mates, as such we have never needed to upgrade (though their adoptive homes both have 2x4s). Saying they need at least 13 sq feet or they will fight is incorrect. I'm not saying all males can live in a 2x3, these boys just happen to be REALLY laid back. But I think for many male pairs a 2x4 is just fine.

chip123
05-07-13, 12:36 am
thanks to all of yous that helped a lot sorry I couldn't answer strait away it is becoz in Scotland I think we are 8 hours forward so it was bed time thanks agien

chip123
05-07-13, 12:54 am
what size cage do u need for 2 boars or 2 sews

chip123
05-07-13, 12:56 am
oh and also what shape cage do u have can u put a pic up

chip123
05-07-13, 01:11 am
You could just use white vinegar in the steam cleaner.

ill prob do that but im sure the washing stuff my mum gets is already non oxic and animal safe as I cheaked for my hamster before putting him on the floor

Varcoda
05-07-13, 02:32 am
48958 ideally you should get a 10.5 square foot cage for two piggies of any gender. the MINIMUM is 7.5 square feet, but the more the merrier! also, boars tend to need a little more space than sows. :)

Lishar
05-07-13, 03:29 am
Your not going to put them all together are you?!

PLEASE don't breed them :(

And two boars will fight over sows, even if their fixed.

pinky
05-07-13, 04:26 am
My males are housed in a 2x4 and they get along fine. It has more to do with whether or not you have a compatible pair. My boys have never mounted one another or become aggressive and get along really well. Females can be just as aggressive as males. My females bicker more than my males do.

Nat453
05-07-13, 04:32 am
Lishar I think she is going to get two pigs but hasn't decided which sex, at least I hope she does :-)

My two males are going to be in a 3 x 5 (I don't know about sq ft) I think a 2 x 4 is the minimum though, if you don't have much space you should get two females as they don't need as much space usually :)

Lishar
05-07-13, 05:00 am
Ohhh ok... Whew!

Haha yeah Boars need a bit more space, other wise they might fight...

CritterSlave
05-07-13, 08:12 am
My boars (I have 3) are in a 2x12.

chip123
05-07-13, 09:22 am
no I wont breed them I was just wondering how much space for 2 boars do y think a 3x3.5 would be ok for 2 boars thanks

chip123
05-07-13, 09:26 am
thank you lol lol lol

chip123
05-07-13, 09:28 am
any way I think ill move some furnature and get rid of some then I could make a 3x3.5 c&c

chip123
05-07-13, 09:57 am
would a floor space of a 3x3.5 (9.25 sq feet I think) for 2 gp also they would have at least 5 hours out a day

Rhyue
05-07-13, 10:36 am
That should be fine, though it always depends on the personality of the piggies. If you're getting 2 that are already bonded and get along well they'll probably get along okay in a smaller area than two strangers. It never hurts to give them more room if you have the space. Some pigs just never get along regardless of the space as well. Some pigs get super attached to certain ones and may become protective as well, which can create issues down the road.

Rhyue
05-07-13, 10:51 am
I agree, I also have 2 males in a 2x4 and they get along famously with no issues. Logan follows Tobe around and always tries to snuggle up with him or groom him. I've got 2 houses but I'll often just find Logan smooshed in with him (they're both big boys) or outside the house to be closer to him.

I have a third and I don't think any size cage would be large enough to get him in with them. The one, Logan, is super attached and protective of Tobe and refuses to share. Tobe doesn't mind Chester, but Logan just wants to rip him to shreds. He just hates him, doesn't matter the area or its size.

I also had a female that hated everything and had to be housed alone. She'd even attack dogs. So you can get super affectionate males and incredibly dominate females. It all depends on the individuals.

chip123
05-07-13, 12:23 pm
k thanks I just used an online convertor and ti said the sq feet of the cage would be 14.291655

chip123
05-07-13, 12:47 pm
hi sorry for all the q but I am going to put it all in this one so do u think males are better then females or the other way and do u need to do a lot more for males and do u think a 3X3.5(about 14.29 sq feet) is big enough for 2 boars(they would also be aloud out at least 5 hours a day) and also can you give me a list of what u feed ur piggies and can u give me pics of ur cages plus what brred is easyist to brush and stuff like that thanks

lissie
05-07-13, 01:00 pm
I've just merged all your cage threads into one thread, why are you adding a new one? Please add any questions you have regarding cages in the same thread. It's hard for people to give advice when they have to jump between threads to see all the history.

chip123
05-07-13, 01:34 pm
I've just merged all your cage threads into one thread, why are you adding a new one? Please add any questions you have regarding cages in the same thread. It's hard for people to give advice when they have to jump between threads to see all the history.
sorry but the reason why I done that is just so it is a lot clearer and more down to the point and also because 1 or 2 questions I asked I have already got a really good questiond for