Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Just Adopted My First Guinea Pigs! Need Names :/

GrinnyPigs

Cavy Slave
Hi there :) I've just been searching for some Guinea Pig names & came across this site! I've not owned a piggie in so many years, although I've got quite a few rodents & a rabbit already.

I have three little females, approximately around a year old, but I think one is older than the other two as she is massive in comparison! They're just relaxing in their new hutch at the moment, I think they're quite frightened :( The RSPCA (where I've adopted from) said they have come from a home that had too many guinea pigs and haven't been handled much, although they're not too bad once you have hold of them.

I'm really struggling with names though! I've found lots of great names for pairs, but not so many for trios :( Their names at the moment are Lilo, Quark & Flower.. But I'd really like to change them. My OH likes Penny, Amy & Bernadette (From Big Bang Theory) & I like Peanut, Pepper & Piper.. Just three names. Lol. I have one ginger coloured, one ginger & white & one brown, with a ginger belly :)

I'm letting them settle in for a little while & then I might go & take some photos.. If they ever come out of hiding! Bless them. xx

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
Phoebe, Piper, and Prue from Charmed...
Billie Jean, Bea Honey, and Beauty Jo... (first name is from MJ's song)
I can't think of others, this is difficult! Here's one more set...
Honey, Ginger, and Amber...
I like my first set and your PPP theme. It's a fun theme! You can still have a Piper either way :)

Congrats on your piggies! It's really great that you adopted rather than bought...unfortunately I bought! Good work on your part, and good luck!

AllThesePiggies

Cavy Slave
Hmm... what are your favorite movies/tv shows? I know there is someone on this site who named two of her pigs after The Lion King, which I thought was a cute idea... Nala and Sarabi, I think. I wish I could remember who it was.

GrinnyPigs

Cavy Slave
Phoebe, Piper, and Prue from Charmed...
Billie Jean, Bea Honey, and Beauty Jo... (first name is from MJ's song)
I can't think of others, this is difficult! Here's one more set...
Honey, Ginger, and Amber...
I like my first set and your PPP theme. It's a fun theme! You can still have a Piper either way :)

Congrats on your piggies! It's really great that you adopted rather than bought...unfortunately I bought! Good work on your part, and good luck!

Hehe, that's where I got Piper from! I had fish called Phoebe, Prue & Piper as a child.. I suppose it ought to be updated to Paige now! (Funnily, I'm currently rewatching Charmed as it's being shown on TV again!). I really like Honey, Ginger & Amber - Although a friend has a daughter named Amber :/ Lol.

I do like the names from BBT, but we've already got Sheldon (our hamster) & they don't really *look* like their names, if that makes sense?

I was initially tempted to buy, but most stores only had males & I had my heart set on three females! I ended up looking at a few rescues further away, but then my local one suddenly got some in! They were so pleased that I wanted to take all three as well! I think they were expecting me to only take two :)

ETA - My favourite TV shows are BBT, HIMYM, Charmed, Grey's Anatomy, Switched at Birth & Parenthood at the moment.

I'm normally so good with names! I've picked all of the names for pets within the family - I even named my Mum's cats for her! (Pebbles & Marmalade). It's so difficult picking three that go well together!

Lishar

Cavy Slave
I haven't got any names, as i'm bad at thinking of them myself xD
But I know who own Nala and Sarabi @YourSoJelly does. I'm pretty sure she also has another pig named Pumpkin :)

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
@Lishar @AllThesePigs @GrinnyPigs Yup. I have 3 piggies, Nala, Sarabi,, and Pumpkin. I am going to stick with the Lion King names… :D

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
I would wait and see how they turn out. I usually like my names to fit. About 6 months ago I bought home 3 sows that I named Princess, Petal and Petunia. Within 48 hours they had been renamed, Princess Cashmere von Koopig, Cosy Rosy Red Nose and Dora 'El Curioso' Explorer Pandypig. Bizarre names that don't match in the slightest but they match their personalities!

Nessy

Cavy Slave
I agree with Icklepink, though the other suggestions are good too. We had intended naming our piggies from something to do with science (as we all love science in this house), perhaps after elements or something, or from science fiction characters from books or films, but Shadow, who we adopted, is so-named because a) for the first week she hid in shadows and b) she's black... Sunrise was so-named because we got her as a companion for Shadow, and Shadow became a MUCH happier and confident piggie pretty much immediately, so Sunrise is named because a) she is Shadow's little ray of sunshine and she's ushered a new era in for her, like a new day, b) because she's a warm ginger colour, warm like the Sun, and c) it fits nicely with Shadow.
What I'm trying to say is perhaps wait a little for their personalities to show and a name might evolve from that. x

GrinnyPigs

Cavy Slave
We've settled on Mocha (brown), Nutmeg (ginger) & Marble (ginger & white) :) Hopefully they'll stick.. But like you say, if they start behaving in certain ways then they might change, or get nicknames! Lol.

They just pretty much hidden since we got them home. I gave them some veggies this evening & it took them a couple of hours to come out of their hides to eat it! :( Is that normal? They've not really been handled much so I guess it will take time to get them used to being around people! Not sure how to best go about that though.. They just run a mile whenever I open the door. I wonder if I should just get them out tomorrow & have them eat veggies near me? I tried hand feeding them with no luck this evening.. Even if I put the pepper on the floor near them, they wouldn't come near it!

Just noticed that the paperwork for Marble says she's 2 years old.. I think they've confused themselves at the RSPCA as there's no way she is 2! Mocha probably is though.. She is huge! Bless her. I do wonder if she's mum or something? They've all got ginger on them :/ I know they've come from a home that had too many guinea pigs, I hope they weren't too neglected! I want them to enjoy their lives now x

GuineaPiggiez

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the new piggies! I love the Big Bang Theory names idea!! :D

GuineaPiggiez

Cavy Slave
Oh I didn't see your latest post, sorry! I love those names, too! When I got my first pigs, they were a little skittish at first, and it took them a while to come out of their hideys for veggies (now it doesn't), so I'd say that's normal. Your plan/idea sounds good, too. I hope they enjoy their lives now, too! :)

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
Nice names for the piggies! I like them! @MochaAndMoo has one named Mocha too :) I hope they do well, all the best!
~ck

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
At our house we've named all our piggies (and cat) after sweet things!
Our cat's called Milo and our piggies are - Sugar, Eclair, Skittles, Marshmallow, Cookie, Truffles and Snickers.
We've also had one called Spice, and Minty...

Great names btw, totally awesome!!

GrinnyPigs

Cavy Slave
At our house we've named all our piggies (and cat) after sweet things!
Our cat's called Milo and our piggies are - Sugar, Eclair, Skittles, Marshmallow, Cookie, Truffles and Snickers.
We've also had one called Spice, and Minty...

Great names btw, totally awesome!!

That's so cute!!

I've already started giving them nicknames.. Mocha has become Mochs, Nutmeg is MeggyMoo & Marble is Marby. Hehe.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Love the names! One of my piggies is named Marble. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.