Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

wood shavings as bedding supplement?

M

mickeysf52

wood shavings as bedding supplement?

We just got our 1st guinea pig from a humane shelter!
We were surprised by the high cost of the CareFresh. Since my husband and numerous friends are carpenters we have a wealthy supply of wood shavings. All the shavings are from untreated wood and are usually of the hard wood varieties, ie. oak, maple, alder, etc. Could I use these wood shavings to supplement the CareFresh. That way I could recycle the wood waste and cut down on the cost of the CareFresh?

*LovesGinny*

Cavy Slave
Re: wood shavings as bedding supplement?

I was wondering this too, as my dad works right next door to a saw mill that has extra chips.

three_piggies

Cavy Slave

I was also wondering about that too lol! My dad works at a saw mill!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave

You would need to make sure that they are dust-free and scent-free. I honestly can't say about the oak, maple, ot the alder, but I know for a fact that aspen shavings are good. I personally use a very thick layer of the relatively low priced aspen and put a thin layer of carefresh on top.

If you're looking for an alternative to carefresh, some good ones are critter care, found at walmart; there's an ok one made by kaytee; there is also cell-sorb that can be found cheap on (broken link removed) or on other sites, such as (broken link removed). Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.