PDA

View Full Version : Grids 8X8 Grid Cage

TLCline
04-30-13, 06:22 pm
So I made a 2X4 cage last weekend for our two piggies. THEN, I find this website stating the 8X8 grids are not safe to use. I can't afford to go and buy all new crates. I have an 8" wall of coroplast around the whole border and have moved anything they can jump up onto to the middle of the cage. Now they run the border of the cage instead of the center for exercise. The piggies should be safe now, right?

MrWhistles
04-30-13, 06:26 pm
I think as long as your coroplast wall is atleast half the height of the grids, it should be safe.

TLCline
04-30-13, 06:30 pm
Thank you, do you think if the PVC pipe I have is ever moved back to the wall they would be able to climb and get hurt?

boofp
04-30-13, 06:33 pm
post pictures

GuineaLoveer
04-30-13, 06:39 pm
post a pic

boofp
04-30-13, 06:41 pm
I think it will be fine for now but Save up for more grids and use the eight by eight grids for a stand.

YourSoJelly
04-30-13, 06:48 pm
I think you should be fine. I thought your cage was 8 grids by 8 grids! (lol)

Melissa123
04-30-13, 06:54 pm
Do you have young or small piggies? I would think it's cheaper if you just got some extra corro for the time being to put along the sides to make the walls taller.

TLCline
04-30-13, 07:09 pm
Here is the beginning of our cage.

TLCline
04-30-13, 07:19 pm
Here is the finished cage. 48722

MrWhistles
04-30-13, 07:26 pm
Those coroplast walls look safe. For safety measures, id make a complete wall in the corner or remove the pvc pipe

bpatters
04-30-13, 07:38 pm
An adult pig is tall enough to reach those open squares, and its head might get caught. My suggestion would be to take the grids you're using for the lid, cut them in half, and overlap them along the top row on the outside. That will cut down on the size of the openings, and having the cut grids on the outside with the pointed ends below the coroplast will protect the pigs.

You can then get a couple of lengths of closet shelving to use for a lid. It's way sturdier than grids, doesn't have to be supported, and is easy to clamp down. It would easily support that pooch that's eyeing the pigs, whereas the grid would not.

TLCline
04-30-13, 07:41 pm
Thank you, I will try the suggestion.

one more question...what is the easiest way to connect two pieces of closet shelving to each other for a cover?

Melissa123
04-30-13, 08:40 pm
Thank you, I will try the suggestion.

one more question...what is the easiest way to connect two pieces of closet shelving to each other for a cover? Cable ties :D

bpatters
04-30-13, 08:48 pm
Yep, zip ties, but get the heavy duty ones. The lighter ones will break pretty easily.

jessieisabel
05-01-13, 02:47 pm
For the lid - When in doubt, zip ties! You can never have too many! Haha ;)

lunarminx
05-01-13, 03:35 pm
Yep, zip ties, but get the heavy duty ones. The lighter ones will break pretty easily.

Yes the 8 inch work better than the 4 inch.

lunarminx
05-01-13, 03:39 pm
For the lid - When in doubt, zip ties! You can never have too many! Haha ;)

Its funny you said that. When I originally did the first C&C cage, I saw a pack of 1000 at Home depot( where I got the twin wall ), I thought, that's way too many, I'll never use them all. They were 8 inches, 1000 for 17.00. I did not get them. The first one I built I messed up on the floor and had to redo, I have built this cage four times now and I am sure I used almost 800 if not more. I need more, I have two left. You can never have too many is an understatement, at least for me. I should have followed my first instinct and got the 1000 pack.

lunarminx
05-01-13, 03:41 pm
Also use binder clips for the swing open doors, it saves on zipties.

Danichuck
05-01-13, 03:45 pm
Do you need to have a lid for a reason. I don't have a lid on my cage it's just my preference since I think it's easier to clean without having to remove the lid first.

MrWhistles
05-01-13, 04:16 pm
Do you need to have a lid for a reason. I don't have a lid on my cage it's just my preference since I think it's easier to clean without having to remove the lid first.

There's a curious dog in their photo. I'd definitely advise the OP to have a lid.

Melissa123
05-02-13, 07:05 am
I think he wants a lid to keep his pup out of the cage? In one of the pictures he shared, there is a cute puppy watching the piggies. :) I agree that it is much easier to clean with out the lid.