Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Deep Breathing from time-to-time

skrwitch

Cavy Slave
I've noticed that one of my guinea pigs is breathing very deeply. It's at a normal rate for breathing, but it's will deep and loud. But it's only sometimes. When he walks around, he does it. But when he's still, he doesn't. I'm pretty sure it only began today since I've never heard it before. I compared his heart rate to my other piggie and they were the same. I'm a bit scared now since I've never had a problem with my guinea pigs...

But it isn't often at all. He only does it a little bit, then it goes. I've never heard of that happening before.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What kind of bedding do you use? And can you post a video of it?

If he doesn't have any other symptoms, I'd watch him for a few days and make note of exactly what he's doing when you hear it -- eating, moving, squabbling with another pig, etc. If you can figure out a pattern, that may give you a clue to what it is. But if it gets worse, it would definitely be worth a trip to a vet for an x-ray to see if he has an enlarged heart.

skrwitch

Cavy Slave
What kind of bedding do you use? And can you post a video of it?

If he doesn't have any other symptoms, I'd watch him for a few days and make note of exactly what he's doing when you hear it -- eating, moving, squabbling with another pig, etc. If you can figure out a pattern, that may give you a clue to what it is. But if it gets worse, it would definitely be worth a trip to a vet for an x-ray to see if he has an enlarged heart.

I use fleece, and I'll post a video the next time he does it.

So far he has been behaving normally, though.

skrwitch

Cavy Slave
He appears to be behaving just like himself: popcorning, looking for vegetables, squeaking, normal interaction with his brother, eating normally, drinking regularly, pooping normally, etc.

I cannot seem to get it on video since he stops when I go close to him.

skrwitch

Cavy Slave
Another update: I noticed that when he was sleeping, he was making a high-pitched noise as he breathed, but only while sleeping. It doesn't sound like snoring or wheezing. He has no symptoms of URI either. He is acting completely normal. But he only breaths like this when he is sleeping. It sounds like he is just snoring, but I'm not sure..

EDIT: I'm almost certain he's snoring after watching several videos of other people's guinea pigs doing so. It just took me by surprise since he's never snored.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.