Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Back Leg Limping... how do I treat a sprain?

ginny

Cavy Slave
My boy Numchucks jumped off a platform instead of using the ramp and seems to have sprained his leg. I'm pretty sure it's not a fracture... he can still put a little weight on it and isn't distressed when I touch it. He lives with another pig and is definitely the submissive pig of the two. They are really well bonded, but the alpha pig still tries to mount him a lot, and I'm worried he's not helping the situation. I read somewhere that it's good to separate an injured pig because not moving much helps with healing, but I'm worried about them being depressed. How should I go about his recovery? How long until he'll start getting better, do you think?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Can you just section off one end of the cage and put him in it? That's what I did when one of my pigs had surgery recently. That way, she stayed in the same cage, but just couldn't move around as much, and her sister couldn't annoy her. As she got better, I moved the cage an inch or so every other day until it was time to take the divider out altogether.

Be aware, though, if you decide to do this, you may have to do full reintroductions. I didn't think mine would need that. They were littermates, and the longest time they'd ever been separated in their lives was the four hours or so that one of them was at the veg for the surgery. But they went through quite a bit of nosing off, chuttering, chasing, etc., when I finally let them back together. If I had it to do over again, I'd reintroduce them in a neutral spot and then put them in a thoroughly clean cage.

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I would take him to your vet to make sure it's not something more serious. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Can you just section off one end of the cage and put him in it?
Be aware, though, if you decide to do this, you may have to do full reintroductions.
This is what I did with my boys when Guinness had his bladder surgery. For him to heal the right way, it would be best to remove him for a while. Really consider getting him looked at by you cavy savvy vet. :)

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
I think that @(broken link removed) suggestion to keep them in the same cage but sectioned off is a good one. It could keep them from stressing out too much while giving him time to heal. I never dealt with an injury like that before though so I can't speak from personal experience. I would keep a good eye out too. Even though he is not acting like he's in a lot of pain/too distressed he could be hiding the extent of the injury.

BTW I believe I follow you on tumblr, I love hearing about your boy's antics. I hope he is feeling better soon!!

ginny

Cavy Slave
Well, his limp has gotten 90% better! But he doesn't seem to want to drink... I've been giving him watery veggies and attempting to syringe feed him a bit. Hopefully this is just a short thing and it's nothing serious... I have been away most of the day so he could have drank during the day and I just didn't see it. Still, taking precautions! (He's eating perfectly fine though!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.