Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Critter Country

L

LinkinParkRullez

Critter Country

I asked this question in another board but no one seemed to know. Is Critter Country okay to use with the pigs? It's made of straw and other wheat grasses but doesn't build ammonia and never molds and comes in a pelleted form. I was wondering because my friend gave me a big 20lb bag of it for when I get the pigs and I wasn't sure whether or not I could use it.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Critter Country

Oh sure, you can use it. But I'd put a layer of something over it for comfort for the pigs, CareFresh or hay.

Personally, while I think it's safe, I don't like it. It's heavy -- as are all pelleted beddings, it does have an odor to it, and it's not comfortable for the pigs.

L

LinkinParkRullez

What if I put shredded paper towels over the top? CareFresh is a little out of my price range. I hear that Cell-Sorb is good. What if I put a layer of that on top?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Cell sorb needs something over it too. Shredded paper towels or newspaper is fine.

Attachments

PhotoGrid_1486836024173.jpg
L

LinkinParkRullez

So the paper towels then? Great. I would hate to waste the C.C. Two last questions that I can't seem to get answered anywhere else. Are guinea pigs really ALL that messy? And is smell a big problem among everyone? My mom is a little concerned with them being too messy and too stinky.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

No. They don't smell at all if you keep the cage clean and they are not that messy. The bigger the cage, the better.

L

LinkinParkRullez

Sorry one last thing. What about using a thick layer of newspaper underneath and a layer of polar fleece on top? I hear the fleece is very absorbent and that it doesn't smell.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

It may not smell to you, but you still need to keep it clean. About the same as towels--a lot of laundry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.