Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello

tinagunter

Cavy Slave
Soon to be a first time piggy owner. I have always loved guinea pigs, but am allergic to their fur. But I found that there is a hairless version, The Skinnies. I will be getting mine from a breeder in June. I am very excited. Any advise? ❤️

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Welcome!
Skinny pigs may carry fewer allergens, but there is no guarantee that you won't get a reaction or worsened allergies over time, as they do have a small amount of hair as well. Avoid breeders, there is an extreme overpopulation of pigs that is only supported through breeding. Try to find pigs through local shelters, rescues or craigslist instead. It may take time to find skinnies, but it's certainly worth it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome. And ditto to @HannibalLecter. Skinnies are an "unnatural" strain of guinea pig created for the cosmetics industry, and it's unconscionable that breeders continue to produce them. You may have to wait a while, but keep checking the rescues, shelters, and online ads such as Craig's List and Kijiji -- some will turn up one of these days.

Also, I'd suggest checking to make sure that it's not the hay you're allergic to rather than the guinea pigs. Guinea pigs are pretty hypoallergenic, even the haired ones, and not many people are truly allergic to them. But grass hay, particularly timothy (which is what they're usually fed), causes a lot of allergies, both respiratory and skin, in people.

MuggleMaggie

Cavy Slave
Also, I'd suggest checking to make sure that it's not the hay you're allergic to rather than the guinea pigs. Guinea pigs are pretty hypoallergenic, even the haired ones, and not many people are truly allergic to them. But grass hay, particularly timothy (which is what they're usually fed), causes a lot of allergies, both respiratory and skin, in people.

I've also read that using a different kind of hay, that is still okay for piggies, can help with the allergies, if you do fine that you are allergic to the HAY and not the pig, @tinagunter.

Here's the link to the thread I was reading it in. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/85536-what-type-hay-feed-allergies.html

Then, if you are allergic to the hay, but find one that works, you could rescue a piggie a lot sooner than that breeder would have your nakie piggie ready! Any idea what kind of cage you'll be getting? It's also suggested that you get two, because they like being friends!

I love having piggies. They are so lovable!

tinagunter

Cavy Slave
I've also read that using a different kind of hay, that is still okay for piggies, can help with the allergies, if you do fine that you are allergic to the HAY and not the pig, @tinagunter .

Here's the link to the thread I was reading it in. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/85536-what-type-hay-feed-allergies.html

Then, if you are allergic to the hay, but find one that works, you could rescue a piggie a lot sooner than that breeder would have your nakie piggie ready! Any idea what kind of cage you'll be getting? It's also suggested that you get two, because they like being friends!

I love having piggies. They are so lovable!

tinagunter

Cavy Slave
I am getting 2 skinnies. I have a reputable breeders and have waiting a long time for them. I have checked for rescues and animal shelter and have not been able to find any anywhere close. I am going to get a C & C cage for them, so they have plenty of room. I have gotten allergy shots for over 10 years to help with my allergies and can own many of the animals I used to be allergic to, but I am drawn to the skinnies. I have done tons of research and am more than prepared for my babies. I even have a notebook I started when I first started looking for skinnies and have filled it with about everything you need to know about them. I am anal that way. I have plenty of time to devote to them, since I work from home, our daughter is grow and married and it is just me and my husband now in our house. The other members our our family include 2 boxers (1) is a rescue, 1 cat and a 60 gallon aquarium that includes fish, snails and shrimp.

tinagunter

Cavy Slave
I also already have found a GP vet near me in Danville

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! You seem to be well prepared for your new piggies! :)

But I do have to add that there is really no such thing as a reputable breeder. They are ALL contributing to the massive overpopulation of piggies, because for every one that is bought from a breeder or pet store, one pig is left homeless at a shelter.

Also, if you can't find a rescue skinny near you, you could maybe ask for help in creating a "piggy train" where members can help you get the pig from one place to another.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.