Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Dilemna

KatieJean

Cavy Slave
I have 4 guinea pigs. One is a 6 year old neutered boar, who has chronic UTIs. one is an adult female. one is a female who recently gave birth, and one is about 3 weeks old.

They all live together, so what kind of hay do I get?

I feel like the baby needs alfalfa, but that would be really bad for the boar.
I really don't want to seperate them, because it took so long for the 2 females to get along, and i had to do the bath time thing to get it to work.

What would be the best situation?

I order from Kleenmama.

kat_0521

Cavy Slave
Babie GP's and pregnant or nursing moms get alfalfa hay. The pups get fed alfalfa until they are 6 months old. Alfalfa is high in calcium and other nutrients that mom and pups need. Adult piggies get timothy hay (or orchard, bluegrass, whatever you prefer)
Until the babies are 6 months old, its OK to feed a mix of alfalfa and timothy to everyone. The alfalfa won't hurt the adults while the babies need to eat it.

Please remember to check the sex of your 3 week old pup-if it's a male, it should be separated from mom and any other girls. Three weeks old is the age where male pups are sexually mature-even though his, erm, parts won't be evident.

Hope this helped. Post PIGtures of your new lil pup!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I would give the momma and the babies alfalfa during a separate floortime. If your 6 year old boar has chronic UTI's, the extra calcium in alfalfa would not be good for him.

KatieJean

Cavy Slave
Don't worry, I had the vet check and make sure its a female, so they can all keep living together. :)
I named her Bugaboo.

Yeah I really don't want my boar eating any of the alfalfa.
Thanks for the idea Ly, thats what I'll do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.