Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Just need a heads up to what it could be...

MariKay

Cavy Slave
Hi all, my piggy sneezes a bit too often, and her nose looks like it has 'water' in it. When I hold her close to my ear I hear a popping noise but ONLY in her nose area, not her lungs. I am taking her to the vet as soon as I can(I need to call tomorrow to see how much a check up is), I'd just like to know what you think this is so I can be prepared for a certain diagnosis or treatment. I hope that whatever it is, I caught it early and its saved me on medical bills!

Thank you all!

laurie8504

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
what kind of bedding are you using? Some bedding types can be dusty, and cause sneezing. Does she have any other symptoms? Is she eating and drinking normally, have a puffed up or hunched look, or coughing? These, with the other symptoms you described, could be signs of a URI.

MariKay

Cavy Slave
I use carefresh. No other symptoms. She's playful, active, bright eyes, eating like theres no tomorrow. Just the sneezing and clear runny nose.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
You don't need all the symptoms for it to be an Upper Respiratory Infection, I had a pig who only sneezed and had it, she was still bright, active, clear eyes, no discharge, still eating. Take her to a vet just to be 100% sure.

MariKay

Cavy Slave
Thank you. How much is a round of antibiotics? I know the prices are different everywhere, but I'd like to know the range to be prepared.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
Thank you. How much is a round of antibiotics? I know the prices are different everywhere, but I'd like to know the range to be prepared.

Usually around $30-$50, depending if it comes with a probiotic, but price differs depending on what area you live in.

MariKay

Cavy Slave
Thanks a lot. :)

Mowgs

Cavy Slave
Abx for dogs/cats where I work is usually around $15-30. For my piggies, mine were only like $6 but I'm a vet student, so I get meds at cost/half off.

And my piggy had pretty much the same thing yours does. He was on aspen and is now on fleece because the aspen shavings are pretty dusty. He's been in twice (one was the initial problem visit and the other a recheck) and both times they haven't found any problems. He went on abx the first time because we have a rabbit and he might have picked up bordetella from him. Mowgli still sneezes pretty frequently so they think it's allergies. He's eating and drinking normally and acting himself. I'll listen to his lungs myself and look at his nares to make sure they're moving symmetrically so it all looks good there. If he gets worse at any point, I'm taking him right back in and might do more aggressive diagnostics. He did lose some weight but I'm monitoring that and think it's due to stress. If you're not doing so already, definitely weigh your piggy weekly because you'll see that change first before you see other signs of disease.

I partially think part of it could be from his previous owner keeping him on cedar bedding for a year, but who knows.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
When George had a URI he was prescribed Bactrim which cost around $12. He wasn't prescribed a probiotic though, so I'm not sure how much that would cost.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
It's $26 for us.

MariKay

Cavy Slave
I've been weighing her daily to make sure she's not pregnant, so far she's only been gaining weight. She's a pet store pig, and the had her a carefresh there too, and I've noticed her sneezing more and more often as the days went by, so I'm anxious now to get her to a vet.

MariKay

Cavy Slave
I heard her cough today a few times, sounded like a little baby cough. I have an appointment scheduled for Wednesday evening, hope everything is going to be okay.

MariKay

Cavy Slave
Well the doctor told me that her lungs sound perfect, and her left nostril is very clear, but her right nostril is inflamed and doesn't pass air very well, not sure why, may be just an inflamed sinus. He's having me give her a bit of antihistamines for a few days to help with it, and said I should also put her on vitamin C tablets daily in addition to the vitamin C rich veggies I give her. He also says she's probably not pregnant, but isn't sure as its a bit early to tell. He asked me to keep in touch to make sure nothing gets worse. :)

I'm just glad it isnt URI!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.