Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Need help with the smell

Danichuck

Cavy Slave
Fire pig and chucks cage stink really badly if I don't clean their care every 3 days. The litter box I change every 3 days also but my daughters room smells like guinea pigs even after I replace the towel and felt. I love the pigs but they smell and I don't know what to do about the room always smelling like guinea pigs. Please help!!!

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I clean my litter-box twice a day and do a full cage clean every three days.
Maybe try cleaning out the litterbox more often. There are little things that help reduce the smell like adding extra towels underneath and I have found that if you leave a small bowl of bi-card soda next to the cage, it reduces some of the odor. Also having a separate piece of fleece in the kitchen area that you can change more often then the rest reduces some of the smell.

pinky

Cavy Slave
How big is their cage? Why are you using towels and felt? They will get saturated and the guinea pigs will be sitting on damp fabric. Fleece wicks moisture to the lower absorbent layer so you might want to eliminate the felt and switch to fleece. If your cage isn't large enough, it will smell quicker.

Danichuck

Cavy Slave
Sorry I meant fleece I always seem to call it felt but I use a towel then put the fleece over the top then I put the cage back down. My cage is open at the bottom for easy cleaning I have coro under the towel and fleece it just lays flat so that I can just lift the cage for easier cleaning. I find it the best way for me. I think the cage is 2 x 4 or 2x5 I can't remember it's made out of closet shelves and I can't remember what size they were when I bought them. We go on vacation in August and the neighbor will be coming over to take care of all the animals and I need a way to keep the cage from making my daughters room less smelly so she doesn't go crazy when taking care of the pigs or other animals.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Hmmm did you prep the fleece properly before the first use to make sure it wicks the moisture down to the absorbant layer (your towel)?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Sorry I meant fleece I always seem to call it felt but I use a towel then put the fleece over the top then I put the cage back down. My cage is open at the bottom for easy cleaning I have coro under the towel and fleece it just lays flat so that I can just lift the cage for easier cleaning. I find it the best way for me. I think the cage is 2 x 4 or 2x5 I can't remember it's made out of closet shelves and I can't remember what size they were when I bought them. We go on vacation in August and the neighbor will be coming over to take care of all the animals and I need a way to keep the cage from making my daughters room less smelly so she doesn't go crazy when taking care of the pigs or other animals.

I'd suggest you switch to regular bedding while you're on vacation. If fleece isn't swept up and kept tidy, it will smell. It'll be a lot easier on the person caring for them if they don't have to worry about spot cleaning the cage. How many inches long and wide is the cage and how many guinea pigs are in it? I have three 2x4 cages with a pair in each and usually change the bedding every 3 days. I sweep multiple times a day and clean out their hay bins every day. Occasionally, if one of the cages smells, I'll change it more frequently. Some of pairs are messier than others so I sometimes clean individual cages more or less often.

pinky

Cavy Slave

Weird.. it posted twice.

Danichuck

Cavy Slave
Yes I preped the fleece first per this site and I never use softener or softener sheets. I think my cage is a 2x5 and just the 2 pigs.

Sindas

Cavy Slave
I have 2 pigs, and use separate pieces of coro fitted in to change a section as needed. So far, it looks like it needs changed once a week or so maybe, but even then hasn't smelled bad at all. I do a total sweep in the morning, and sweep the more favored poo areas 2-3 more times throughout the day. I have dog training pads on top of the coro..which have yet to get soaked through to, with a minimum of 3 towels, max of 4, on each piece under the fleece. I also have extra fleece/towel pads I keep down in the favored poo areas, and flip those as needed. The only smell coming from the area is the smell of hay.

If you can make extra pads (layer of fleece, towel, another layer of fleece all sewn together) I would highly recommend it. Seems to help tremendously.

acydrose

Cavy Slave
I use cage liners on both sides to cover the corners, since thats where they poop and where the water bottle leaks, a towel plus two smaller strips of towel on the sides for absorption and fleece. I clean out the poops around two or four times a day with whatever hay they pulled out of the rack or pellets and change the coroplast weekly. The only way it gets stinky is when they poop under the water bottle and the poops are mushy and gross or if I don't spot clean before going to bed. Is the room ventilated? Do you clean the cage with a cleaning product or vinegar when you change out the fleece?

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
if you're using just one layer of towel then it will get wet really fast. try using at least two thicker towels or 3 thin towels. :)

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I agree with the air purifier. Walmart has a thirty dollar one that would be way big enough for a bedroom.
Also I have a 30x76 and I use fleece even in my kitchen area. It usually goes about a week before it starts smelling. You may be a bit more sensitive to smells and also it could be a bedroom with a closed door. I would get the purifier and maybe do the kitchen area in carefresh bedding.

lexi43

Cavy Slave
I change my pig's cages every day. I use a cage liner with bedding over it. I also us a deodorizing spray every day.

Danichuck

Cavy Slave
I will try uhaul pads I have to find a place where they have them. I only use a thin small towel that just fits the bottom of the cage they are only 1.97 at Walmart so I will try the uhaul pads. I use vinegar with water to clean the coroplast when I change the fleece and towel so I will try the clean cage spray too. I can't afford a air purifier at this time but when I get my tax return in the mail I will get a small cheap one from Walmart. The door in my daughters bedroom is closed cause I don't want the cat or bunnies to try to attack the piggys and the windows are closed cause its winter/spring here in IL but as soon as its gets warmer I will be opening the window and keeping it open all day and night so I know that will help. Thank you all for your suggestions and I will do some of these changes right away where some will have to wait till funds are available.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I will try uhaul pads I have to find a place where they have them. I only use a thin small towel that just fits the bottom of the cage they are only 1.97 at Walmart so I will try the uhaul pads. I use vinegar with water to clean the coroplast when I change the fleece and towel so I will try the clean cage spray too. I can't afford a air purifier at this time but when I get my tax return in the mail I will get a small cheap one from Walmart. The door in my daughters bedroom is closed cause I don't want the cat or bunnies to try to attack the piggys and the windows are closed cause its winter/spring here in IL but as soon as its gets warmer I will be opening the window and keeping it open all day and night so I know that will help. Thank you all for your suggestions and I will do some of these changes right away where some will have to wait till funds are available.
You could use like three of those towels to see if that helps.

Kimberlei

Cavy Slave
I know that lots of people use towels in their cage. HOWEVER, in my experience a urine-soaked towel will begin to smell within a matter of minutes!:melodrama We only use towels for lap time, but never in the cage.

In order for this fleece setup idea to work at an optimal level, one must do certain things, most of which have been suggested. There is NO excuse for a room to smell like piggies unless the cage hygiene isn't good.

Here is my routine. The ONLY time my cavy cage has an odor is when we get close to the weekly change time. The "sniff test" is a great guide.lol

* If you can, vacuum the cage 3x/day.........or at a minimum, after the cavies have breakfast and before bedtime
* Have small pads to put under the most-soiled areas, and change those frequently
* Take the advice of those of us who have a lot of cavy experience. Why do you think we are so adamant about using uHaul pads? Because they work better than anything we've tried.
* Buy a spray called Clean Cage - it is NOT a cage cleaner, but a deodorizing agent. I spray the fleece pads and turn them over, spray the litter box before adding a light layer of litter, and even spray the cage liner and turn it over midweek. The spray won't hurt your piggies, but nevertheless, I avoid them having direct contact with it.
* Probably most important for you.........buy an air purifier. I will emphasize what a difference this makes. I have experimented with running the air purifier vs. not running it, and one can definitely smell the difference. I use the Homedics Air Purifier (smaller one) purchased from BBB with a 20% off coupon. It runs 24/7, is pretty quiet, and doesn't seem to draw much current.(broken link removed)

Take a look at your overall routine, change those things that need to be changed, and I promise you that you will be happy with the results.

Do you use any oils in the air purifier? If so would you mind telling me which ones? I would really like an air purifier but get a little confused when I it comes to the safety of the oils, and whether oils are actually needed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.