Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet store cages

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
My pigs have to live in a pet store cage for just over a week during the move, until their C&C is delivered at the new place. So my mum came up with an idea to create a tiny bit more space.

She made up a 1x1 square to sit in the cage, and sat a shelf half way up. This way, they have more space, even if it is only a very small amount more.

She made 2 of these, 1 to go in each cage. I have to have 2 cages because there is no way that 4 pigs can go in one. It is too small for 1 pig, so 2 pigs in one is really pushing it. So Lottie and Jazzie will go in one, and Charlie and Tuppy in the other.

I'll get some pictures up soon to show you how it looks. But for those people who still use pet store cages - this is not a permanent solution!! It is only for 1 week during the move, and if I could take a small C&C (say two 2x3s) I would!

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I finally got round to getting a picture. It's the same layout in both pet store cages. There will, of course, be carpeting over the wire so that the piggies don't get sore feet.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I am sure they aren't going to like it after being in a large cage. They aren't going to know what to do. I hope all goes well with the move.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I know. If I could use a C&C I would, but there's just no space in the car for a C&C bigger than the pet store cages. Oh well, it's only for a week, and their C&C is to be the last thing to go on the truck, and the first thing to come off. I just hope it gets there in one piece.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If you have access to them, make sure you have some extra cable ties for quick reassembly on the cage when you unpack. I'm sure everyone will do fine. Give them extra veggies, hugs and kisses while they're in the little cages. :love:

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Well their C&C is going in two halves. All we have to do is cable tie them together. I just found out that, on the ferry, we have to leave all the animals in the cars while us people go to the deck, or whatever it's called. I'm no so worried about the pigs; their cages will be covered by a towel. But those dogs sure ain't going to like being left alone in the cars, especially our 15 year old blind and deaf one.

The pigs will be happy when we arrive at the new place because they'll have the whole room for floor time for hours and hours. And they'll get plenty of veggies and kisses and cuddles over the week.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I would worry about the pigs getting proper ventilation as well if you have to leave them in the car while you are on the ferry.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Yes, I thought of that, but I don't know what I can do. There is no way that I'd be able to stay in the car with them for the 40 minute crossing, and I don't think I can leave a window open for them - even a tiny bit open would be better than nothing, but I don't think my mum will be happy about that.

When I come back from Ireland, I'm bringing the pigs by plane!!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
What is the weather like there right now? Could you convince your mum to leave the windows all cracked just a tiny bit. They will need air. 40 minutes is quite a while for pigs to be in a car that may get too hot or too cold.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I'll try and win her round. I'm sure she will let me leave them open a tiny bit; she'll want the dogs to have a bit of air, so I'll tell her that the pigs need it too. The weather is pretty dull - cloudy but quite warm. The forecast reckons that it will stay cloudy and warm for the week, with sunny spells each day. I just hope that it isn't too hot when the cars go in the ferry.

Denise

Cavy Slave
Is it possible to put them in a small carrier that you could keep with you while in transit or is that not allowed per the ferry rules?

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
It's not allowed on the ferry. No animals at all are allowed where the people have to go. Believe me, if I could, I would.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.