Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Help asap!

GuineaLoveer

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
K so my piggy Oreo has white flakes or like dots in her fur ive tried washing it out with water many times but it seems I never get it all what could be causing this?
I have about $40 dollars to spend on meds but thats it and my parents no matter what I try wont take her to the vet they say let nature take its course which I think is just wrong!
other then that shes acting normal eating drinking playing sleeping messing around lol
she did have lice put I used a couple drops of front line on her neck and their gone could it just be left over lice eggs or dead lice it doesn't move!
some one said something bout fungus ?

couchon

Cavy Slave
It COULD be fungus or it could also be dandruf/dry skin/vitamin C issues (my pig gets flakes sometimes), or it could also be something relating to reproductive issues - I know they get flaky/greasy sometimes when they have ovarian cysts.

However, the larger issue is your parents. Guinea pigs NEED medical care. Letting "nature take its course" is cruel and painful. In fact, in my experience, piggies often have more medical issues than other pets.

I know it's really hard, and I would usually never, EVER advocate this, but I think you need to rehome the pig. I know you care about her a lot, but if your parents aren't willing to pay more than $40, this can't end well. Anything, even something very curable, will turn deadly if not treated. My piggy had several serious bloat incidents just this year. She needed to go to the vet and get her stomach drained. Thankfully, she survived :). However, without medical care, it is almost certain that she wouldn't have, and I have heard from other people that dying from bloat is a horrible, really painful death for them.

I don't mean to scare you. I am sure you love animals and take good care of them. But please just wait until you can make all the decisions (including how much to spend) before having them, since your parents have this attitutde. In the meantime, find a good home for her where you know the person will do whatever it takes to keep her healthy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Read (broken link removed). One dose of front line won't kill all the lice, and Front Line is not recommended for guinea pigs anyway.

Ditto Couchon about rehoming. It's not fair to the guinea pig to make it suffer because your parents won't get vet care.

GuineaLoveer

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Read (broken link removed). One dose of front line won't kill all the lice, and Front Line is not recommended for guinea pigs anyway.

Ditto Couchon about rehoming. It's not fair to the guinea pig to make it suffer because your parents won't get vet care.
They would probably take her to the vet if it was very serous or she was dying
I just wanna catch this early so it wont get worse.
It may be Vitim c issues Ill feed her more veggies that have vitamin c in them thanks
And if she ever was in state of suffering I would re home her thats why I want to catch it early on

couchon

Cavy Slave
Here's the problem - over the internet, unforunately, even the most experienced people may not be able to figure out what's wrong. When my piggy had flakes, I took her to the vet to figure it out.

The other problem is that you say you would rehome her if she was suffering. Generally, when guinea pigs get sick, you have MAYBE 24 hours (I belive it can be even less than that) to get them to the vet before it's too late. There have been two times with my girl where bloat happened in the middle of the night (1 am and 6 am). I literaly ahd to drop everything, get a cab, and go to the 24-hour emergency vet. Then, I had to stay there with her most of the night, and then we needed to do a follow-up exotic vet visit in the morning. Do you truly believe your parents would do that, if necessary? You don't have to answer it here - it's just something to consider. And the costs are expensive - we are talking hundreds, thousands of dollars (especially with conditions like, let's say, bladder stones, which can require multiple surgeries - and this is something very common). My girl is actually another good example. She has digestive issues that we can't diagnose. Every day is not an emergency, but she has required multiple vet visits, diagnostics, and meds, all VERY expensive - this had to be done, even though she was not on the verge of dying every time.

My other piggy has arthritis. So far, knock on wood, we are OK with just supplements, but she may need some medication in the future. Even to diagnose this, she required an x-ray. Again, this is not life-threatening, but it requries a vet.

And once the pig is already sick, rehoming her in time to get care would be extremely difficult. I know I have to do what it takes for my girls, but it's a huge financial and emotional responsibility, and it's hard - I love piggies, but I wouldn't take in an already sick pig in critical condition, because I simply don't have the resources to do that.

Again, I know it's hard. I know it's heartbreaking, actually. I would probably have the same reaction as you. But you are right, these medical issues do need to be caught early (and the older your pig gets the more likely the chance that something pops up - in fact, my vet said that my older girl should have bi-annual check-ups from now on, just to monitor arthritis and any potential reproductive issues), and if your parents are unwilling to do that, she needs another home.

Maybe you can adopt to someone who would let you visit once in a while or send you emails about her?

I think you will make a GREAT piggy caretaker, but just wait until you have your own money! That way, no one can stop you from doing what you need. Also, on your other posts, you mention getting another piggy. Please DEFINITELY don't do that if your parents won't even take the one to the vet.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not vitamin C issues.

Can you post a picture of what you're seeing?

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Like the poster before said. It'll be too late to find her a home once she gets sick, Let alone one that will take on a sick pig.

To me, It doesn't sound like you're being very responsible. You'll care for your pig, but if she gets sick..she goes out to someone else to care for. I might of got it wrong, but if it's like that. Then you should not have her, it's not fair at all.

You NEED to be able to give them enough hay, fresh veggies, vet care, proper housing and proper social care....If you can not give them one of those..then It can become even selfish to keep the animal.

Vet care is very important for any animal. Owning a guinea pig, you will have to take them to the vets at least once during their life time for a serious money costing issue.

And if it's got so bad that you can see it, then usually they are suffering. (Though signs for mites or fungal are usually easily seen)
As they are prey animals so hide illness so they don't look weak until it's gotten so bad that they just can't hide it anymore.
I've had the experience of knowing a pig who died 16 hours after she showed her first sign of being sick..not even a day. She got vet care 8 hours after it was first sign was spotted (as it was 11pm at night when it started) and it was too late.

You're not going to be able to re-home her in enough time for her to safety get the proper care to survive, let alone re-homing her to a home that is willing to take on an already sick pig who has the possibility of not making it.

Last edited:

Field-of-Dreams

Cavy Slave
It takes several treatment to kill lice. The first treatment kills the living lice, the second one kills the lice that have hatched since the first treatment.

I've never had piggies with lice, but have had horses with lice. We treat them every two weeks, three treatments total.

Vintage

Cavy Slave
I just took my two girls to the vet for lice/mites treatment. It came up to $200, plus another $75 later for the rest of the treatments. Most people wouldn't think so, but guinea pigs are an expensive pet to keep. You can try contacting a cavy rescue near you to ask if they have extra selamectine or ivermectin to sell you, maybe they can help you find the dosage. But even that might be unlikely. Whatever decision you make, please put the health of your sweet piggy first.

GuineaLoveer

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Im going to save up my money I already have some baby sitting lined up and if I keep this up ill have $200 soon
I love my piggies with all my heart and ill do anything for them!
Im going to mow laws rake yard sales ect to get that money

GuineaLoveer

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Like the poster before said. It'll be too late to find her a home once she gets sick, Let alone one that will take on a sick pig.

To me, It doesn't sound like you're being very responsible. You'll care for your pig, but if she gets sick..she goes out to someone else to care for. I might of got it wrong, but if it's like that. Then you should not have her, it's not fair at all.

You NEED to be able to give them enough hay, fresh veggies, vet care, proper housing and proper social care....If you can not give them one of those..then It can become even selfish to keep the animal.

Vet care is very important for any animal. Owning a guinea pig, you will have to take them to the vets at least once during their life time for a serious money costing issue.

And if it's got so bad that you can see it, then usually they are suffering. (Though signs for mites or fungal are usually easily seen)
As they are prey animals so hide illness so they don't look weak until it's gotten so bad that they just can't hide it anymore.
I've had the experience of knowing a pig who died 16 hours after she showed her first sign of being sick..not even a day. She got vet care 8 hours after it was first sign was spotted (as it was 11pm at night when it started) and it was too late.

You're not going to be able to re-home her in enough time for her to safety get the proper care to survive, let alone re-homing her to a home that is willing to take on an already sick pig who has the possibility of not making it.
\she has fresh veggies hay room! ect
the only thing she doesn't have is vet care and I will save up my money to get her it!!!
its a lot better then giving her to the shelter the one near me euthanizes any animal their after 48 hours not joking!!!!!!!!
and im looking for help not insults!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
its a lot better then giving her to the shelter the one near me euthanizes any animal their after 48 hours not joking!!!!!!!!
and im looking for help not insults!

Okay simmer down. Re-read all the responses people gave you. No one suggested you bring the pig to a shelter. Rehoming simply means finding a new home for the pig.

And good grief, no one insulted you. Being responsible is doing what is best for the pig rather than what is best for you, even if it means making hard decisions. You might be able to save up for vet care this time but it can get expensive (into the hundreds of dollars each time).

Last edited:

couchon

Cavy Slave
In the last 4 months, I have had over $3,000 in vet bills (and that's probably a big underestimation) .

And if you do work all summer and do save up several thousand dollars, will your parents take you to the vet?

And definitely don't give them up to a kill shelter - take the time to find someone who will give them a C&C cage and doesn't have a limit on how much they are willing to spend for medical stuff.

GuineaLoveer

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Okay simmer down. Re-read all the responses people gave you. No one suggested you bring the pig to a shelter. Rehoming simply means finding a new home for the pig.

And good grief, no one insulted you. Being responsible is doing what is best for the pig rather than what is best for you, even if it means making hard decisions. You might be able to save up for vet care this time but it can get expensive (into the hundreds of dollars each time).
last time I checked selfish is an insult!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
last time I checked selfish is an insult!

I did not say you're actions are being selfish right now, what I said was, "then It can become even selfish to keep the animal."

Where in that did I state that You are being selfish? Never.

It can get to a point where it becomes selfish to keep the animal but I never said you are being selfish right now. If she was too get sick and you're parents wouldn't allow you to take her to the vets to get proper care, then that would be selfish to keep her and not doing anything for her well being.

GuineaLoveer

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
In the last 4 months, I have had over $3,000 in vet bills (and that's probably a big underestimation) .

And if you do work all summer and do save up several thousand dollars, will your parents take you to the vet?

And definitely don't give them up to a kill shelter - take the time to find someone who will give them a C&C cage and doesn't have a limit on how much they are willing to spend for medical stuff.
thx and if I had the money my parents would take her to the vet
you have been very helpful

couchon

Cavy Slave
Whatever you decide, do post pictures of the issue - maybe someone will have an idea.

Look, I know it' hurts. I am probably not that much older than you, so I get it but looking back I am so happy I didn't have piggies when I was living with my parents. They just need so much, and when people with the money are unsupportive, it's a nightmare. Just think on it. I promise you I rarely to never recommend rehoming, but this is just a scary situation. Even right now, with the skin issue, they need a vet.

And for what it's worth, I don't think people are trying to insult you or be mean. It's just they want to share how serious it is. I have a well - paying job, and I am completely self-supporting, but in these last few month, after the emotional and financial pressure, I have really found that even I wasn't really ready for the piggies. I am so happy I have them and can give them what they need, but I don't think I will get any new ones for a While, and I definitely want to have a lot more savings first.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Everyone here only wants what is best for every pig. I think it would probably be the most helpful to your pig to just accept the suggestions people are offering rather than getting defensive.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.