Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Welcome to my 'CURRENT' guinea piggery!!

Rach84

Cavy Slave
So heres my boys cage as it stands at the moment . . . .

[video=youtube;Hx3I9EBT4aA]

Just wondered if anyone could help me work out the square footage of it? its 3x5 xx Thanks xx

~ And yes the current does mean I am planning to expand xx

GuineaLoveer

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
its says "this video is currently unavailable"

BNCavy91

Cavy Slave
its says "this video is currently unavailable"

I can see it, so it must be your internet or something.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cage!! What lucky piggies! How many do you have?

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
nice piggery! it's big enough for 3 piggies at least :D

Rach84

Cavy Slave
I have 3 boars in there - hence why I am planning to extend to a 3x6 an make the loft bigger too! Xx what sq footage would it be? Anyone know? Xx

@GuineaLoveer if you just reload it it should work xx

rebeccars

Cavy Slave
to figure out square footage, just take the length of the cage and multiply it by the width of the cage. if you want to add the loft to the square footage, then take the length and width of that, too, multiply it together and add the two square footages together.

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
WOW, what a mansion! It's so awesome! I wish I had the room for that kind of spread. I know my girls would be happier in something that size. I LOVE how you have everything sectioned out. But, how is cleaning? And how much of an investment is it to carpet the whole thing with fleece? As a broke college student, that's my main limitation — cash.
Your piggery is wonderful and inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
looks awesome!!!! I'd like that house!

you just multiply 3x5 to figure yours out. length times width.

Rach84

Cavy Slave
I poop sweep twice a day while the boys are out having cuddle time or floor time - now I've moved the ramp to the middle it's much easier to get into each corner xx
the fleece to cover it is probably around £7 to do one set for the base and loft and the towels for under I managed to collect from friends and family - turns out almost everybody has towels they want to throw out! I swap out the whole cage around every 5ish days an I usually save up 2 sets of fleece to cut down on my washing.
My 3 boys seem happy enough I can hear Woody zooming round right now! Xx

Rach84

Cavy Slave
What does everyone think about which way to expand!? Do I do another grid back so it's a 6x3 with a 2x3 loft? If I go wider I don't think I'll be able to reach round for cleaning!
Or would it be better to make it 6x3 an put the loft length ways? So it'd be a 2x6!? But then I think I'd need 2 ramps and again I think cleaning would turn into an issue . . . ? Xx

couchon

Cavy Slave
I have a 3x5 too for my two piggies :) I calculated the footage a long time ago, and it's somewhere just above 20 sq feet.

Personally, I haven't done lofts, just because no ramps means more free space to run around, but that's just me.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
not to be rude but... we're talking primary school level math here. y'know.. 3x5=15... :crazy:
the basic rule to calculate the area of any square/rectangle is lengthXbreadth(or width, whatever you call it).

Rach84

Cavy Slave
My boys like their loft they seem to take it in turns to sleep up there - gives them a little space I suppose xx

AussiePiggies

Cavy Slave
not to be rude but... we're talking primary school level math here. y'know.. 3x5=15... :crazy:
the basic rule to calculate the area of any square/rectangle is lengthXbreadth(or width, whatever you call it).

LOL I think they are after footage not gridage :crazy:

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave

It's not just the math part, numbers get mixed up in my head. I'm great with words, but numbers just mess with me.
I've never been tested, but there's a good chance that I'm dyscalculic. (like dyslexia, but with numbers)

squbefactory

Cavy Slave
I did work out the inches of a grid, have the cm off by heart as 36cm. I made my boys pen as a 2x5 grid which I then worked out how big footage wise it was, 5ft9x2ft3 I think from memory. The herd are on a double bed base so thats 6ft x4ft except I had to use the last bit to store the food tub and create a gap between the boys and girls even though they are higher up just to be doubly safe for the boys sake.

I dont find cleaning out to be a problem with either pen, the herd also have a 2x3 grid upper floor which I am thinking about extending to a 3x3 for a bit of extra space, especially if I manage to boar/sow date the herd with a 5th member of the herd, will use the last section I nicked too, think I should make a storage space about the end of the pen instead of stealing floor space.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
It's not just the math part, numbers get mixed up in my head. I'm great with words, but numbers just mess with me.
I've never been tested, but there's a good chance that I'm dyscalculic. (like dyslexia, but with numbers)

ah that's interesting, i've heard of dyslexia but not the other thing :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
WOW, what a mansion! It's so awesome! I wish I had the room for that kind of spread. I know my girls would be happier in something that size. I LOVE how you have everything sectioned out. But, how is cleaning? And how much of an investment is it to carpet the whole thing with fleece? As a broke college student, that's my main limitation — cash.
Your piggery is wonderful and inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

Wait for a sale on the fleece its not that bad. Until you decided you need even more patterns. I have spent about $100 on fleece and that is cheap I fear compared to some. For me the investment is cheaper in the long run. Since my guys have a huge kitchen area, I can go 7-10 days before changing the fleece, with daily poop duty. And I still want to get some plain colors too.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Personally, I haven't done lofts, just because no ramps means more free space to run around, but that's just me.

I just ordered from the store and their loft will be the Piggy Party Patio but I plan to put the ramp in the center so they can run laps around it. That loft will be their kitchen, which frees up the space on the bottom. I will connect that to a narrow loft for a bedroom, connecting with a ramp and slightly higher. The kitchen will use the wonder bars and set up about half a grid or so higher, to bedroom will go to the base of the second grid so none of the climbs are too high. I may even see how a 2x 5 works because right now its a 2x4. It's at the point I am thinking about getting rid of the dinning room table and putting like a breakfast nook type table there to have more room. Piggies are not a cheap pet! LOL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.