PDA

View Full Version : Is this chicken salad sandwich really vegan?

CF#5
08-10-05, 04:23 pm
The label says it is specifically vegan. I don't really know much about specific ingredients, so I'm asking here. I thought I once read that wheat gluten is vegetarian but is mostly dairy, but maybe I'm imagining things.

Organic Grain Bread (Wheat, Barley, Rye, Brown Rice, Corn, Oats & Buck Wheat), Whole Wheat Flour, Malt Yeast, Wheat Gluten, Chic Pea & White Bean Flour, Expeller Pressed Soy Oil, Eggless Mayonnaise (Xanthan Gum, Canola Oil, Vinegar, Lemon Juice), Purified Water, Sea Salt, Nappa, Celery, Carrot, Spices, Natural Flavor Chicken Style

LuvMyPiggers
08-10-05, 05:09 pm
I don't think it is. I'm not sure because Im just a vegetarian.

Slap Maxwell
08-10-05, 06:57 pm
Sounds vegan to me, most definetily vegitarian. The chicken flavoring is natural. Look up the ingrediants on Google.

Fujiko
08-10-05, 07:05 pm
"Natural Flavor Chicken Style" sets off alarms. Many vegans will tell you to stay away from "natural-" or "artificial flavor" because it may come from an animal. "Chicken Style" makes me think it is poultry-based. Also, don't trust labels like "vegan" on products if you are really strict about being a vegan; many companies may not know or care what vegan is, exactly. It's about the money to them.

daftscotslass
08-11-05, 08:38 am
It's possibly MSG that is the "chicken-style" flavouring. It makes things taste meaty, even though it's foul.

dona83
08-14-05, 07:34 pm
It's possibly MSG that is the "chicken-style" flavouring. It makes things taste meaty, even though it's foul.

Isn't MSG artificial salt that like cuts your lifespan by half and causes cancer?

Fujiko
08-16-05, 08:11 am
I was told by my aunt (who is a nurse) that msg will cause reactions in people that are sensitive to it, like dizziness and stuff, but that it does not cause cancer or any serious problem like that.

If you want to know more, you can always google it.

Tatalp
08-16-05, 12:46 pm
I'd be worried about the flavoring, but the other stuff seems fine. Maybe you could send the company an email to find out.

CF#5
08-16-05, 01:20 pm
The label on the package had a website but when I go there it says "site under construction."

The health food store where I got it has a huge selection of this stuff, and most of the sandwiches don't seem to have any questionable ingredients. One of them actually says something like, "non-meat chicken style flavoring." I think I just happened to pick the one sandwich there with a questionable ingredient. Or maybe they've changed the labeling in the past week. I'd imagine the labels can be changed frequently since the shelf life of these sandwiches is only about 7-10 days.

daftscotslass
08-16-05, 04:34 pm
I was told by my aunt (who is a nurse) that msg will cause reactions in people that are sensitive to it, like dizziness and stuff, but that it does not cause cancer or any serious problem like that.

If you want to know more, you can always google it.

Yup. I've had a reaction to it more than once so I'm not allowed near the stuff - racing heart and feeling like I was going to pass out. Not worth the hassle of eating it!

mab0615
08-16-05, 06:51 pm
http://www.whitewave.com/index.php?id=93 Don't know if this will help or not.