Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick storing medications for future use

LuAnn

Cavy Slave
I find I have some extra meds from having two sick pigs. One medication is to be stored in the fridge and so it is. Do other medications like Baytril and Medicam need to be stored there as well? They have an expriation date for sometime in 2014.

In case you're curious as to what happened to my piggies, one died last month. The other, Jill, is in the vet hospital and has been changed from Baytril to Doxycycline. She has had a massive abscess on her jaw (which fractured the jaw they think) and now she has a URI. I'm going to try to be hopeful for her recovery but it has been a roller coaster week or two for her.

Mowgs

Cavy Slave
Baytril and Metacam dont' have to be stored in the fridge to my knowledge...at least we don't at the clinic I work at.

Sometimes it seems to be dependent on how the medicine is compounded. I have Tramadol for my piggy, which doesn't need to be refrigerated but it had was for another piggy that I pet sat.

However, if you store meds, and your piggy gets sick again, don't start using them without checking with a vet to make sure it is the same thing. If you just start throwing antibiotics at her, she can build a resistance and they will no longer be effective. You'll also want to make sure the dose is still appropriate.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.