Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Experiences/Recommendations for Hutches

Nika Lee

Cavy Slave
Hello all! So I have had my two pigs for about 3 months now and I am not getting over the eye-sore that is C&C cages! My living room where my guinea pigs are is maaaybe 100 square feet, and I have them in the minimum size (2x4) cage. I am considering at this point getting a hutch as they are more furniture like and will actually be more room for my pigs since the ones I am looking at are split level. Does anyone have good experiences/recommendations for having an indoor hutch? I have been considering this one specifically...

(broken link removed)

The only thing that worries me about hutches is how narrow the ramps seem to be, but I can probably use the grids I have now to make some type of railing. Also I have only been looking on Amazon and some of the hutches on there sound down right dangerous (based on reviews, the bottoms fall out of the cages, the ramps are too steep or the ramp openings are too big causing animals to fall and hurt themselves). Any tips you can give would be so appreciated, thank you!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
that's almost the size of a 2x4, yes? I can never remember. It's 28x44 I think. So that would be an appropriate cage, as it's basically the same size. You could look into building a hutch too.

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
You just have to remember that ramps take away from piggy zoomies space, so you have to look for a hutch that's a bit bigger than what you would have in a c&c :)

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
If you want the cage to look furniture-like, you could convert an actual piece of furniture!
(broken link removed)
Lots of people convert Ikea bookcases and such and make really nice cages. :)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
If you have some building skills it isn't hard to make your own either. This is my cage. I was going to connect the two levels with ramps but the guinea pigs started to fight and I separated them.

The cage decorated for Christmas.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354802935.560116.jpg

Top level

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354802918.594723.jpg

Bottom level

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354802857.427821.jpg

whole thing and my dinning table. lol
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354802674.960587.jpg

Nika Lee

Cavy Slave
@Inle_Rabbit, that looks awesome!

Thank you everyone, I think trying to build something myself is going to be the best option at this point. I'll be thrift store hunting for some convertible furniture :)

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
Good luck! We'd love to see it once you're finished!

Nika Lee

Cavy Slave
Thank you [MENTION=26685]SophieBunny[/MENTION]! I will definitely post pictures; I love your idea of converting an ikea bookcase!

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
You're welcome! It's not my idea though, I've just seen cages like that around here and I thought they looked amazing. I'm glad it helped.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.