PDA

View Full Version : Hello

notrickpony
04-08-13, 07:21 am
Hi, I'm Notrickpony aka Lucy and my (first French) piggy is Pumpkin, he is a handsome black and red male covered in rosettes. He is very energetic and muscular and loves to race around at top speed and popcorn all over the place and chew on everything and anything. He's 6 months old now and all alone after losing his cagemate Camembert to a respiratory infection back in November. (Both piggies were very ill and Pumpkin still has scars on his lungs). Despite the sad loss of our lovely Camembert, Pumpkin pulled through and I'm hoping to adopt him a friend in the near future, although I am a bit concerned about his dominant behaviour!! He is absolutely fearless and whereas he used to steal food out of Camembert's mouth, now he tries to steal my food (he finds toast and porridge much more interesting than his vegetables at breakfast time) and chews on my hair the second I let my guard down or if I forget to tie it up... I can only imagine what he would do to another piggy!! I have never known a guinea pig like him!

Nice to meet you all! I've been trying to find out more about the rumbling-purring sound Pumpkin makes - In the past, my guinea pigs have only made a rumbling-purring sound when they were unhappy or heard a sound they didn't like but Pumpkin will squish down, stretch out and yawn when I stroke his head and down his back while making the rumbling sound, it's really cute: I wonder if it is a dominance thing...? He also does it when I walk up to his cage and while rubbing himself against the bars of his cage...

Inle_Rabbit
04-08-13, 08:04 am
Sounds like he is in the throws of puberty! If it is possible it might be better to adopt from a rescue where you can do a piggy meet and greet first to find the best match for Pumpkin. I would suggest, based solely on my own experience, looking for a pig that is over 1.5 years old so that he would be out of puberty and you will have less hormones to deal with.

notrickpony
04-08-13, 08:33 am
Hi Inle_Rabbit,
Thanks for your reply! Yes, I did wonder if he was just at 'that age'!! From what I've read I'm sure you're right - an older pig would hopefully make a good companion (and have a calming influence perhaps??!). Unfortunately most of the rescues I've seen nearby only have young pigs available at the moment, so I will have to wait. Also, they are all a bit of a drive away so that will mean a long, stressful day out for Pumpkin, but a piggy meet and greet sounds like a great idea! I will keep looking :)

Sounds like he is in the throws of puberty! If it is possible it might be better to adopt from a rescue where you can do a piggy meet and greet first to find the best match for Pumpkin. I would suggest, based solely on my own experience, looking for a pig that is over 1.5 years old so that he would be out of puberty and you will have less hormones to deal with.