Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Piggie girl

• Thread starter Lovesome piggie
  • Start date

Lovesome piggie

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I have never owned guinea pigs before and am looking for all the information I can get my hands on before I actually take the step to adopt my guinea pigs.
I have looked up quit a bit already but any information I can get I would be happy to recive. I have owned 2 dwarf hamsters so I do have some experience with small animals.
Thanks.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
welcome to the forum!

basic things you should know is that piggies need as much room as you can give! :D then you need to be VERY sure of the gender of the piggies you get, to avoid pregnancies.

foodwise... you need lots of hay, 1/8 cup of good pellets per pig daily (oxbow is highly recommended), 1 cup of fresh veggies which is mainly lettuce (no iceberg, limited romaine)and freshwater.

for vitamin C, green bell peppers are a very good choice they can eat daily. most piggies also love carrots and cucumbers but these shouldnt be given in excess.

lastly, what bedding will you use? fleece is a trending bedding choice here BUT it requires daily poop-picking. but it's also cheap in the long run :)

Lovesome piggie

Cavy Slave
:)Thank you. I will make sure they are both the same gender.

I plan on using fleece for the cost

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi Lovesome Piggie!

This is definitely the place to come if you want to learn all things cavy.
The best way to learn about pigs is just to take a look around the forum at all of the threads.
I highly suggest having a look into C&C cages, they are affordable, low-maintenance and are the best option for your pigs. As for a pigs diet, their diet consists of Hay, Pellets and veggies. Here is a cavy nutrition chart: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

Also, for many reasons we encourage new members to adopt their pigs from a shelter because of the major population in pigs. Please remember before adopting a pig is that pigs have very high vet bills, a vet visit can cost up to a hundred dollars and we suggest you make a vet fund for your pigs in-case of any emergencies.

Good luck on getting your first pigs, and warm welcoming wheeks from Mocha, Moo and Meeka!

addictivejuliet

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Hi there :)
Welcome to the forum, I hope you like it here and find it useful!
Everyone is generally nice & eager to help so never be afraid to ask your questions!
I see you plan to use fleece (nice & cheap!) which I think is a good choice, but some others do use sawdust shavings in their C&C cages, so there are options.
I'll give you some facts about guinea pigs seeing as you're just starting up.
My advice is to purchase some books and read from different sources on the internet, and also watch some youtube videos but don't believe everything you see! and some things aren't good advice so go with what the majority suggest xD
Guinea pigs need vitamin C because, like us humans they can't make it themselves and the best way to get it into them is green leafy vegetables.
They must have hay as well as food pellets. (Avoid guinea pig food mix with shelled nuts or seeds in).
Their teeth grow constantly, just like hamsters, so wooden chews are a must and avoid plastic :)
Guinea pigs are social so getting one on it's own is not good, us loving humans will never be enough ;) they need their own kind to talk to!
Adopt don't shop is my best advice. Rescues have lots of poor unwanted piggies and it's sad. The rescue I volunteer for has lots and lots of them. And pet shops often don't treat the piggies right and fail to feed them veggies and hay and even sometimes water etc.
Hope this helps you to start off with!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome! Everyone has basically covered what needs to be known, except for how to bond. I personally like to sit in the cage and read to the piggies! Although my books are missing some corners(hmmm…I wonder why they look chewed *looks at Nala*…) its totally worth it because they really know how to wrap you around their little paws!

Lovesome piggie

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much. I have looked at lots and lots of websites, and my mom bought a book. I plan to get two from my local shelter:)

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Great! When you read that book to them, watch out for the nibbling piggies! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.