PDA

View Full Version : My first c&c cage!!!

GuineaLoveer
04-06-13, 07:10 am
So I know this is on pregnancy and babies but I dident know how to post it on discussions! If a moderater could move it id be very happy:)
Okay now that we have that said. Lets get started So I new my petstore cage was way too small and I was sick:sick: of seeing her live in that 1x2/5 (dont worry she only lived in their a couple weeks thank God) Which should of been meant for mice Not guinea pigs but of course pet stores advertise it for piggies:mad:
So I was looking around on where to buy some grids and at bed bath and beyond in like a 20 grid pack (maybe more not sure) for onlu $19.99:ohmy: great deal so I got those and I built out of grids a 2x4 but ran out of canecters but im going to build a 3x4 with a separater in the midle (cuz I have a male and a female)
And use fleece.
But where can I buy coraplast?
Or I herd you can use other things?

YourSoJelly
04-06-13, 07:15 am
You can use a shower sutton but I prefer coroplast. Home depot an menards some.

Varcoda
04-06-13, 07:18 am
coroplast /correx: actual name is corrugated plastic.

if you search this forum for where to buy coroplast, it comes up very frequently :) heard that home depot might have them, or your local sign shop. other people have also used old campaign signs after elections or events.

make sure your piggies are seperated at all times, and that PIGGIES CAN CLIMB! so make sure additional measures are taken to prevent a climbing piggy :D

GuineaLoveer
04-06-13, 07:18 am
Wait go tto home depot.
And I heird you could use somthing else it was like some thinner plastic but you had to put alot if your piggies chew on it.

GuineaLoveer
04-06-13, 07:20 am
Thanks Varcoda i,ll make sure every things measured out so they wont climb it

GuineaLoveer
04-06-13, 06:59 pm
Im going to buy coraplast tomerrow at home depot I just hope they have it

MrWhistles
04-06-13, 07:29 pm
Another user has found success using table mats to make the bin. Search for Sabic Polymershapes. I got a whole colored 4ft x 8ft sheet for $15. Black or white sheets were $10.

MochaAndMoo
04-06-13, 07:35 pm

If you can't find any coroplast, you can always use a shower curtain or a piece of lino flooring as a substitute.
I have heard stories of boars climbing over the grids to get to the female, maybe try putting grids along the top as a roof on the boars side.

GuineaLoveer
04-06-13, 07:40 pm
My grids are 14x14 and my boar is only 1 months 3 weeks old

foggycreekcavy
04-06-13, 08:33 pm
I moved it. Not sure what you mean by "didn't know how to post it on discussions".

piggiepigpigs75
04-06-13, 09:16 pm

Check the glass or plexiglass section also know employees are clueless on coroplast

Onetwo
04-06-13, 09:21 pm
O' You need to baby proof your cage! Babies can get through the grids and/or get their heads stuck. I might be wrong but I think baby proofing is recommended until age 6 months or 9 months? So you'll need to either overlap the grids to make the holes smaller or you will need to extend the coroplast nearly all the way up the sides and back so they can't get to any of the openings! Yes Home Depot here has coroplast but they tend to be smaller sheets that can cost more than at a sign shop. You can use white or colored duck tape to link up multiple pieces though. Also home depot in my area tends to call it plastic sheeting and they keep it by the mailboxes and garage sale signs. Well that's my HD at least! Yours might be different but I'd check there first! :) Be sure to post a pic when we get it done! We love pics! :)

GuineaLoveer
04-06-13, 10:12 pm
Ki know bout baby proofing

MrWhistles
04-07-13, 08:34 am
Also, some pigs may remain small after full grown. My Korra was incredibly small! She was horrible at sticking her nose in the squares and I ended up "korra proofing" the cage with taller coroplast walls.

GuineaLoveer
04-07-13, 08:51 am
Yea I am going to have high coraplast walls just in case

GuineaLoveer
04-07-13, 11:04 am
So I just went to home depot and the employes had no idea what I was talking about and we went thru ile after ile looking but couldn't find it and I said I saw it online at your web site and he said its probably just online and you,ll have to order it online so when I got home and checked it said that their were 22 left in stock of the kind I wanted! So im kind of angry cuz im going to have to go back but fist im calling the place

Megaredize
04-07-13, 11:13 am
So I just went to home depot and the employes had no idea what I was talking about and we went thru ile after ile looking but couldn't find it and I said I saw it online at your web site and he said its probably just online and you,ll have to order it online so when I got home and checked it said that their were 22 left in stock of the kind I wanted! So im kind of angry cuz im going to have to go back but fist im calling the place

Is there a SKU on the website? if you gave an employee the SKU number they could find it without a problem if they do infact have it in store. It is probably right in front of their face and they dont realize it.

Megaredize
04-07-13, 11:19 am
checked home depots website and i think this is the largest single sheet they sell 72 in. x 36 in. x 5/32 in. Twinwall Plastic Sheet-COR-3672 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202771364?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=corrugated+plastic&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=202771364#.UWGqJlfkR5E) This is the american website. assuming your american. I do know it is on the canadian website too.

SKU is 527147

GuineaLoveer
04-07-13, 12:52 pm
Yea im american and I called and gave them the pin or whatever it isand they have 21 left in stock going to pivk 2 up later

Megaredize
04-07-13, 03:14 pm
That is good. it sucks they gave you the run about the first time but at least you are getting them now. I'm sure your cage will be awesome.

piggielover200
04-07-13, 03:51 pm
Congrats on the cage I got my coro from Home Depot and it worked great for my 2by4 c & c

GuineaLoveer
04-07-13, 07:19 pm
Wait what suck?
And I ended up being busy so im picking up the cage hoppfully tomerrow:)

GuineaLoveer
04-08-13, 08:28 pm
So I so need to think bout baby proofing!
I can double up 4 grids out of 12 the rest may br coverd with cloth and im going to get extra coraplats to make it really high!

MrWhistles
04-08-13, 09:53 pm
If the coroplast walls are atleast half the height of the grids, then you should be fine.

GuineaLoveer
04-09-13, 06:11 am
Theirs nine grids my coroplast is going to be 5 grids tall im pretty sure but ill see when I get it.
And im going to be able to double up 4 grids

lunarminx
04-09-13, 06:58 am

Its in the building department, normally near the glass, which is normally very close to lumber. Go down the back wall starting at the door/window area heading towards the lumber section.

GuineaLoveer
04-14-13, 03:04 pm
So I so need to think bout baby proofing!
I can double up 4 grids out of 12 the rest may br coverd with cloth and im going to get extra coraplats to make it really high!
SO YAY I GOT MY CORAPLAST YESTERDAY AND I FINISHED THE CAGE!!
So its a 2x4 with a separator in the middle each grid is 14x14 I finished cutting the coro and at first it was a tiny bit too big>( but then I fixed it:D I added 2 layers of towels and a blue plad fleece baby proofed and ready to go!
and I added hay racks mats under them and one small stuffed animal for each side.
next I have two piggloos one for each food dishes, water bottle, food hay ect,chew blocks a mini pillow.
Joe joe side of the cage has
1. Grean pigloo
2. Wooden chewing blocks
3. Metal hay rack
4. Food dish
5. Veggy dish
6. Mat to go under the hay rack
7. Water bottle
8. Small grey and black stuffed animal monkey
9. Blue white and grey plaid fleece
10. A 2x2 space (each grid is 14x14)

Oreos side of the cage has
1. Blue pigloo
2. Wooden chewing blocks
3. Metal Hay rack
4. Food dish
5. Veggy dish
6. Mat to go under the hay rack
7. Water bottle
8. Small pink and white stuffed animal puppy
9. Blue white and grey plaid fleece
10. A 2x2 space (each grid is 14x14)

How does it sound? and yes I came up with a name for my female piggy texel Oreo shes all black with a white stripe and a white paw:p
OMGosh you guys have no Idea how happy I am lol im a guinea pig geek:o
I will try to get pics up soon.
And I will be getting cuddle cups for them soon or whatever their calledlol
I stayed up till mid night building it:yawn:

GuineaLoveer
04-14-13, 05:28 pm
come on reply im SO EXCITED AND HAPPY:)

GuineaLoveer
04-16-13, 02:57 pm
hello anybody
come on how does it sound and yes no pics yet try to get some up soon sry:(

Varcoda
04-16-13, 03:30 pm
make a new thread saying 'completed my C&C!' and post a pic, you'll get more replies XD

GuineaLoveer
04-17-13, 07:57 am
make a new thread saying 'completed my C&C!' and post a pic, you'll get more replies XD
thx

GuineaLoveer
04-17-13, 08:10 am
Just did!:)