Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Yay!! Finally ordered my C&C cage!

samijo92

Cavy Slave
I finally ordered my C&C cage today! :) My piggy will be soooooo happy!! :) Just some questions about the cages: What should I put between the fleece and the Coroplast to help absorbency? I heard I can use like the thick blankets people use for moving or uhaul liners, but eventually I will get Fleece Flippers. What kind of detergent do I use to wash the fleece? Thank you for all answers! My piggy and I are going to be so happy with this new cage! :)

Oh my gosh this is so exciting cause i just ordered grids for my future cage!!!

*wildly jumps up and down*

Also i have no advice for you because i am a noob but i just wanted to tell you that i totally know how you feel right now.

however, Putting puppy pee/training pads down under your fleece is probably something to consider... But you know someone might need to back me up on that.

you know something else thats frustrating? that i can't have my reply be posted in all caps. i don't read as nearly as excited for you as i really am.

congrats on ordering your cage :D you will have happy piggies indeed!

some people use 2-3 layers of towels or uhaul pads right under the fleece, plus a layer of shower curtain or mattress protector if you wish to protect your coroplast ( less cleaning :D)
if you can afford it, you can also use puppy pads which makes cleaning much easier.

because you're getting fleece flippers eventually then there's no point in buying washable puppy pads or uhaul pads i think, old towels will work :)

to wash you use unscented detergent, usually the cheap ones because the expensive ones might have softener included in them and that will not help the fleece work well! you can also help ready the fleece by adding half a cup of white vinegar - this also helps in sterilising the fleece :D

remember to wash the fleece at least thrice before you use it- it will work better the more washes it has. good luck with your new cage, can't wait to see it when it's done :D

Congratulations on your new cage! I love C & C cages. I used to use towels from the thrift store under my fleece but discovered I did a lot of laundry and it took the towels a long time to dry. If you can find a uhaul store near you, furniture pads are only $7.00 for one and they are huge! I have a 2x7 cage and one made just under two layers for the whole cage. They also wash well. I highly recommend them. Oh, and fleece flippers are amazing as well.

I too use uhaul pads under fleece for my 2x4 c&c cage (two layers of pad plus an extra smaller piece in the corner where they tend to pee under one fleece layer). It works great, much better than towels under fleece which is what I tried at first. The uhaul pads are light weight, durable and absorbent. I tried fleece flippers too but they weren't as easy to switch out as the layers I'm doing now IMO. Great idea, just not for me. Have fun! Your pigs are gonna love it!

Thank you everyone for all your posts and being so excited for us!!! We can't wait to receive it, it just shipped today :) I will most likely get Uhaul pads my local fabric store has them and of course all sorts of different patterns of fleece :D Thank you for the detergent ideas, I didn't know you couldn't use a detergent with the softener in it so that was great to find out! I will post pictures when I get it all set up!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.