Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying The cost of neutering a male (Glasgow-Scotland)

AllyBally

Cavy Slave
My vet I usually go to quoted me £66 + meds.
Is this roughly the usual price to pay for a guinea pig neutering or would I be better looking elsewhere for a cheaper price?
Seems a wee bit steep :/

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
You'll have to call around to vets in your area. It seems as though each area is different, and even in one area different vets can charge different prices.

For example, one vet I know charges $80 for a neuter while another charges $300.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
My vet charged $28 for a small bottle of Baytril. I don't know how much neutering would cost but my prices are different from yours.

pinklizzy

Cavy Slave
That's about the same as I paid. If you can afford it, I'd prefer to go to a practice I know and trust rather than choosing another one based solely on cost.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
My vet I usually go to quoted me £66 + meds.
Is this roughly the usual price to pay for a guinea pig neutering or would I be better looking elsewhere for a cheaper price?
Seems a wee bit steep :/

What amount in dollars is that? Cost here is three hundred and up.

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Wish we could get that price over this way.

AllyBally

Cavy Slave
Wow I didn't realise that £66 was on the cheaper end of the spectrum! Guess I'm lucky that my local vet charges a lower fee. A small bottle of Baytril costs £16 from there.
Thanks for your replies :)

MuggleMaggie

Cavy Slave
I looked into here, and it was $200. I was wondering if that was normal.

Guinealover10
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
I'm about to get Otto neutered (25APR) and for him it's $236 including meds, checkup, etc. There are cheaper places in my area (my ex vet charges about $115 last time I checked with them), but I totally love my current vet's practice/experience, and I had a bad experience with another vet in the area, so for me I'm willing to pay that much. The prices vary so much it's hard to get an exact number or even an average that falls close to either spectrum.

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
Neutering depends on your area. Some people know of places that do it for about $50 bucks. The cheapest place I could find out here wanted to charge me $175.69 (plus cost of meds to take home)... needless to say, we couldn't afford that but found him a good home with a friend so I can visit often, and a male friend to have in his cage :)

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
I've been quoted £39 inc post op check up and meds.
I'm in North Wales and there are 5 cay-savvy vets in the area so I think that keeps their prices reasonable and my vet is understanding of the financial climate and would rather lower his prices than the rescues get swamped as no one can afford vet care.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.