Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Building a Dream Cage

SulcataGirl

Cavy Slave
I'm moving out soon, and will be making my dream cage for my piggy. My room mate and I have been brain storming, and we found this awesome cage online. We can't find whose cage it is, or the original post anywhere, so we don't know how it was constructed.
We need some help making up a final draft for the cage. We also want ot make a loft/ We're not sure if using the grids will work with the PVC pipe. Advice please!
Here is the one we found online

Attachments

Guinea Pig Cage10232007094639.jpg

SulcataGirl

Cavy Slave
100MEDIA$IMAG0100.jpg
Here is our second draft. SUggestions on what to use for the sides?

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
You could use plexiglass instead of the wire, because you never know when it might come lose and harm your piggy. For a loft you could use grids, but you would have to cut a hole for the PVC pipe and sand down the edges of the cut grids. Also, inside the PVC pipe you would have to put carpet or another material for you piggy to grip on. Happy cage making!

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
goona look amazing!

skunk12

Cavy Slave
Looking at it, I'm gonna guess it uses a sheet similar to the bottom shelf as a base for the coroplast box (on a second look, yeah, you can see a hair bit of the board under the coroplast). Otherwise, PVC frame, outer bit plus one cross-member halfway through. IE, at the 45" mark of the shelf/ves, a T is there on both sides for support and stabilization.
If you mean grids with PVC, and meant the PVC shelf/base/frame, it'd work, with some use of drilling holes, zipties, and an additional right angle going along where the "shelf" would be. If I were you, I'd do the right angle, use another small shelf on top of those, and leave the bottom open, ie, a bottom length of 90x60, a top shelf/loft of 30x30. Means you don't need any grids, plus opens the bottom up more..please note, I didn't sketch this out, just me brainstorming, so if there's a blatant derp/error somewhere, my bad xD

adelore

Cavy Slave
Neat idea, out of PCV pipe, I would have never thought of that one. I agree you could use the girds for the sides, just use zip ties. You could also use plexie glass just I wouldn't go all the way up with it, because then it would act like a fish tank, not enough "air flow" to keep things from starting molding spores in the corners. That can be harmful to our piggies. Have fun building. I like your draft of what you have in mind for you piggie pen.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
My guess for that cage is 1" PVC pipe either painted blue* or the owner used blue duct tape. The shelves are hardy board. Similar to peg board without the holes. Coroplast for the cage insert. The wire is 1/4" galvanized steel mesh held to the PVC pipe with blue zip ties. The hardy board also looks like it has holes drilled into it and the zip ties go through those. This does not look like a complicated cage to build but PVC pipe can be pricey. Good luck!

1/4" mesh is easy to cut so it wouldn't be a problem to use that

*best to use plastic spray paint as PVC is notorious for not holding paint

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.