Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

NPR Blog about GPs: From Pets To Plates

mekalika

Cavy Slave
There's an NPR blog post from today about a growing trend for eating guinea pigs.

From Pets To Plates: Why More People Are Eating Guinea Pigs : The Salt : NPR
You may best know the guinea pig as a nervous little pet that lives in a cage and eats alfalfa pellets.

Now, the rodents are increasingly showing up on plates in the United States.

South American restaurants on both coasts seem to be pushing the trend, answering to demand mostly from Andean expats for what is considered a fine and valuable food in Ecuador, Peru and Colombia...

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm an enthusiastic meat eater, and owned chickens when I was young. I admittedly did not eat those specific chickens, but I'll just say that I love KFC ;P

NormaS

Cavy Slave
My grandfather used to eat them. I find it gross. They are pets, not food.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
They have been farmed for food in Peru for hundreds of years, much longer than they have been pets. I wouldn't eat them ever but I don't live in Peru.
Don't forget people in India and parts of the Middle East would have the same reaction to us eating pigs and cows. Different cultures eat different things. While I don't agree with people going to restaurants and eating cuy just to say they can, in Peru they are a major protein source and have been for longer than this country has existed.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.